Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times

Advertisements

Okay... I was gonna reply on the Phone Sex thread.. but I don't think that was the proper place to go where I was going (hence: starting this thread). That said... I think some important differences have to be acknowledged in the way things are approached. Because there are so many different types of people, let me preface this by saying I think I'm generalizing and stereotyping based on my experience (I'm 43, have lived in 5 states and 4 countries).

Men are physical beings by nature. Agree or not, this applies to most men that I have known. When men cheat on their SOs, it has generally been with either younger women or women with a "more firm" body. Men can be stimulated with a thought, a gesture, a picture, a leaf falling to the ground , you name it. If it's kept in mind that men are bottom line physical, the behaviors of men are more easily predictable.

Women on the other hand are more emotional by nature. Most of the women I've known who have cheated on their SO have done so with a close friend, a co-worker, etc. Someone they have been able to develop an emotional connection with they may not have with their SO. That's not to say that women don't get stimulated by some of the same stimuli as men, but they are less likely to act on it.

Consider something else. Take an average woman and average man. They are both in an "amorous" mood and are going to a club with the intention of "hooking up." Who's more likely to be successful and in a much shorter duration of time of effort? The woman. Why? Because men are physical and much more likely to pursue a woman seeking a physical relationship than women are to respond to a man. Nature or nuture? Not my call. In a show I watched (yeah... Discovery or something), a woman went to a club and stated "I like you, do you want to go have sex?" with 100 men. I don't remember the exact number, but it was high 80s as a percentage who said "yes." A similarly attractive male went into a club and asked the same thing of 100 women. Only 1 said "yes."

Bottom line... it's easy to pass judgement on men who try to find alternate ways of satisfying what some professionals argue is a basic human need (see Maslow's Theory of Hierarchy) when women have a much higher chance of fulfilling that need as it occurs.

This isn't a post condoning prostitution, or phone sex, or infidelity. It's to hopefully stimulate some additional thought before you pass judgement on something you may or may not be considering the whole picture on. That's all. I posted this knowing I'm going to be blasted by some... but if one or two people can consider this (notice that I didn't say "agree"), then I've achieved something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
I agree that men and women are wired differently, but I get a hint of "excuses" when the biology of infidelity (of any character) is brought up. Whatever in-born drives and instincts we men have, we are also born with a conscious awareness that is more powerful than any instinct. When a man is caught cheating, jerking off in front of the computer or otherwise engaging in behavior that hurts people he loves, he has still made choices to be in that position. There are many men who stay faithful to SO's who have been rendered asexual by cancer treatments, for example, and never bat an eye. That's not a biological urge, that's commitment. Commitment is what is human, answering an urge is what is animal.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I agree that men and women are wired differently, but I get a hint of "excuses" when the biology of infidelity (of any character) is brought up. Whatever in-born drives and instincts we men have, we are also born with a conscious awareness that is more powerful than any instinct. When a man is caught cheating, jerking off in front of the computer or otherwise engaging in behavior that hurts people he loves, he has still made choices to be in that position. There are many men who stay faithful to SO's who have been rendered asexual by cancer treatments, for example, and never bat an eye. That's not a biological urge, that's commitment. Commitment is what is human, answering an urge is what is animal.
You are correct. I thought I said "This isn't a post condoning prostitution, or phone sex, or infidelity.." but I could be wrong. Meant to. I also thought I said I was generalizing... since everyone is different. It was a long post. And just there to provoke thought and discussion. Thanks for engaging.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
You are correct. I thought I said "This isn't a post condoning prostitution, or phone sex, or infidelity.." but I could be wrong. Meant to. I also thought I said I was generalizing... since everyone is different. It was a long post. And just there to provoke thought and discussion. Thanks for engaging.
I wasn't trying to point that at anyone in particular, I just saw that you were looking for different viewpoints. Thought I'd drop mine.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Jim, Nope.. no offense... not at all.. just felt stupid... I get typing and "mean" to put things in that I often don't get to. Then... I get to be doubly stupid because I saw I did put it in there! So... I'm taking my stupid self out of this now! You're inputs are valued.. that's why I write. I try to start threads that get people talking (not fighting).

Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
I try to start threads that get people talking (not fighting).
Well, you're gonna' have to go somewhere else for a fight, because I agree with everything you said.

PS - Maslow's Hierarchy is just a pyramid scheme!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
PS - Maslow's Hierarchy is just a pyramid scheme!
Yes... but on the base level of the pyramid, along with "food, water, and air" he added "sex". It depends on which text is used, of course.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes... but on the base level of the pyramid, along with "food, water, and air" he added "sex". It depends on which text is used, of course.
I studied a lot of group dynamics in college. It was amazing to me just how much Maslow ass was kissed by my professors. I think it's interesting study fare, but at the core its really a fine example of the Dilbert Principle's "Mastery of the Obvious."

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Ha, the versions I'd seen before didn't include sex on first level. Now that you mentioned it, I checked more pyramids and sex is indeed included in some. So what is it...? Did Maslow have it included or did others interpret it according to the point they try to make?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha, the versions I'd seen before didn't include sex on first level. Now that you mentioned it, I checked more pyramids and sex is indeed included in some. So what is it...? Did Maslow have it included or did others interpret it according to the point they try to make?
Don't ask me... as with most statisticians, I found the facts that only met MY arguement! lol

Honestly I don't know... it's just something I remembered from my early college years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships