Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times

Advertisements

If you're sure about not wanting to be a parent, a vasectomy or tubal only makes sense. I call it "the lack of spirit made flesh." I got my tubal at age 30, not earlier, because no one would agree to do it before that (in the bad old days).
Yes, someone could still think I'd change my mind, but I had the tubal because I knew I'd never want to be a parent, and if it was a deal-breaker for someone, then the deal would be broken. The "right man" wouldn't want a hypothetical child (usually a DNA immortality thing, not a desire to be a parent) over the love of his life (me). I might have lost one great guy over it, but maybe we made better close friends. He absolutely wanted to be a parent. I completely didn't, and knew it.
I think women are lucky on the childfree issue. Anecdotally, I'd say that a lot more men want to be childfree than women. I've yet to meet a man who already had a kid or kids for whom having another was an insistance, or even a desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
To the OP, I wish you the best of luck and hope the sites others gave you are beneficial. I think it's great that you're being honest with women, even though it's a source of frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I'm 19 and I never want kids either, and I know its going to be hard to find a girl who is 100% childfree. Girls are petty like that. Its like they're intimidated by childfree men, I don't get that. I personally wish girls weren't like this and would accept a man for who he is.
LAFan, I feel compelled to reply to your post. If a girl doesn't want to get into a relationship with you because you don't want children, it is not personal. It's not petty, either. Rather, it is mature and honest. Why should someone agree to give up parenthood for you or waste their time dating you long-term? I'm not saying you, personally, are a waste of time. But, if someone is out there seeking a future spouse with whom they would like to have children, then you don't meet the criteria. You certainly wouldn't want them to lie to you, then spring it on you later that they were hopeful of changing your mind. Hope this makes sense, but please don't think this is personal and that the women are petty. They're just being honest with you, as you were with them. Hopefully, in a tactful way. Cheers.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
LAFan, I feel compelled to reply to your post. If a girl doesn't want to get into a relationship with you because you don't want children, it is not personal. It's not petty, either. Rather, it is mature and honest. Why should someone agree to give up parenthood for you or waste their time dating you long-term? I'm not saying you, personally, are a waste of time. But, if someone is out there seeking a future spouse with whom they would like to have children, then you don't meet the criteria. You certainly wouldn't want them to lie to you, then spring it on you later that they were hopeful of changing your mind. Hope this makes sense, but please don't think this is personal and that the women are petty. They're just being honest with you, as you were with them. Hopefully, in a tactful way. Cheers.
I would hate for a girl to try and change me. I hate that girls do change their mind. They say they don't, but ends up changing their minds. That annoys me.

Last edited by wclac; 06-03-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coem View Post
I've always known that I don't want to have kids. It's not that I hate them, in fact working with kids is part of my job; I just know that the parenting lifestyle isn't for me.

In my early 20s, this wasn't really a problem when dating girls since at that age, having kids isn't really on people's minds. However, now that I'm in my late 20s, I'm finding that as soon as I tell a girl that I don't want to have kids, she loses interest in me. Is there anyone else who also plans on not having children who has this problem. Anyone know of an online social network/dating site for people like us?
Hi,
I'm in my late 20's and I don't want kids either.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Hi,
I'm in my late 20's and I don't want kids either.
You're a good man.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
You're a good man.
I'm a woman, thank you!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I'm a woman, thank you!
My bad! I wish there was more women like you.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:31 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
LMAO @ LAFan

Old 06-04-2008, 11:31 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
I didn't want children either, till I got to 30. Once I had them I realised how fantastic being a parent is - I got put off because my little sister was born when I was 20 and I saw what hard work it was! But being the actual parent was totally different to being the sibling. Why do you feel so strongly about this? You need to look at the reasons why. But if you are sure then that's your decision. My brother and sister in law have no children - they are very happy and have lots of fun travelling and going places - they have freedom.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
LMAO @ LAFan
Dude, what is your problem? Is there something wrong with be because I don't want children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships