Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 09:51 PM

147 posts, read 112,935 times

Advertisements

or if your single, your relationship status?

Every time I get together with my parents/sibling they ask if I am dating someone. It get's annoying to the point that I just lie and tell them that I am dating someone. I would think that would stop the question but it actually just got worse. I get it they ask because they care but does it need to be every time we hang out. Can they just be happy that I am present and enjoy the moment....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 04:30 AM

717 posts, read 558,495 times
In a recent article I read listing subjects not to bring up, it was noted that asking about someone's relationship status is considered very rude and no one's business. Apparently some people don't realize this. My mid 30's son has Asperger's (family isn't aware) and has never had a girlfriend, but wants one. When we visit his grandmother she'll say things like, "I wonder if I'll live to see you get married". Or, on the other side of the family, there was a recent wedding, and someone made a comment to my son making him uncomfortable.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:18 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisnIvy View Post
or if your single, your relationship status?

Every time I get together with my parents/sibling they ask if I am dating someone. It get's annoying to the point that I just lie and tell them that I am dating someone. I would think that would stop the question but it actually just got worse. I get it they ask because they care but does it need to be every time we hang out. Can they just be happy that I am present and enjoy the moment....
As someone who has had to deflect from that question forever, you did the worst thing by saying your are dating someone. That will open Pandora’s box of very invasive questioning. Probably better to say you were talking to someone but now are not. I did that with my mom this past weekend and it did the job in shutting her up.

As a mid 30s single who has pretty much given up active hope on a relationship, I get it. I resent being treated like I have a deadly form of COVID that needs emergency care just because I’m single and don’t date much. I’m in a really nice apartment, I earned a Master’s degree while working 50 hours a week, I travel pretty often. But none of that means to people since I can’t master obtaining a romantic relationship. Ending rant.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:39 AM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Cant ask about relationship status.
Cant ask about having kids
Cant ask about employment/career/money
Dont talk about politics
Dont talk about religion

What are safe topics/questions when speaking with family and friends?

Old 11-29-2023, 07:43 AM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
"how often does your parents, friends or siblings ask about your relationships or if your single, your relationship status?"

Once.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:45 AM

147 posts, read 112,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Dont talk about politics
Dont talk about religion

Never said can't ask anything but when it asked every time we see each other it gets annoying.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisnIvy View Post
Never said can't ask anything but when it asked every time we see each other it gets annoying.
Have you tried "No. How about you, you seeing anyone new?"
Or make up some elaborate obvious lie each time like a celebrity, a prince, a secret agent, and go on about it. Or go the other way, an inmate, an addict, a married man or woman, etc. Maybe they will get tired of fabrications and stop asking.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:21 PM

717 posts, read 558,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Dont talk about politics
Dont talk about religion

Your local sports teams/recent games
A recent movie or concert you've seen
What happened the other night on Survivor / favorite contestant on The Voice, etc
Recent purchases or something you're looking to buy
A funny anecdote
Restaurant you've been to recently

There's all kinds of topics that aren't taboo.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Your local sports teams/recent games
A recent movie or concert you've seen
What happened the other night on Survivor / favorite contestant on The Voice, etc
Recent purchases or something you're looking to buy
A funny anecdote
Restaurant you've been to recently

There's all kinds of topics that aren't taboo.
What if you are not into sports, if no one else has seen the movie, concert or TV show?
Maybe it's me but when I get together with family or friends I haven't seen in a while, I'm also interested in their personal life, well-being and such, not just what they watched on TV or bought at the Wal Mart.
Of course, if I know it upsets them to inquire about their relationships I do not ask.

It just has never been taboo in my family. I have a great nephew that broke up with his gf over a year ago. When we see each other at family dinners or out occasionally I ask if he is seeing anyone, he sayS nope, and thats the end of it. Everyone always asks my youngest gson if he is still seeing that girl (they broke up for about 2 weeks a year ago), he says yes and that's the end of it. Till next time. When anyone asks me if I'm dating, I look down and spit on the ground and thats the end of it.

Old 11-29-2023, 04:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Any time they see me. I don't come around often so it's always part of the standard "catch up" questions. I've gotten to the point now where I don't care. I think some of them have gotten the hint that I'm always going to say no, so they don't ask. But I do know if I ever say yes....they're probably going to call CNN news. Just how some people are.

Last edited by Auraliea; 11-29-2023 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships