Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 01:31 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just not as smart or worldly as my DH but this gets on my nerves. He is constantly correcting me when I just make casual statements….in front of people.

Examples: I might mispronounce a word, I might say we moved into this house in June, I might say I used to have a BMW X1. He will then be sure to immediately use the correct pronunciation, he will correct me and say “no, we moved late May” or “Actually the car was an X5.”~ always when we are with other people.

Several times over the past 20 years I have challenged him and said later “Why do you think it mattered if we moved here the last week of May or in June as far as what we were discussing with the Smiths?” And he’ll say “well, you were wrong.” But I find it embarrassing that he feels a need to publicly correct me on inconsequential things. It feels very passive aggressive…..something he denies. I’ve told him I don’t like it but he continues to do this pretty regularly.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Just no. He would have been out my door years ago.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,884,541 times
I can see both sides. I would absolutely hate to be corrected constantly in front of others.

On the other hand, my mom for many years frequently got stuff wrong. She had a bit of social anxiety and would engage her mouth before her brain. She, too, would get annoyed if corrected. It evolved into her making stuff up to appear more interesting. Now she is 87 and we have no idea if what she says is true but she is so embarrassing to us we just cringe when she talks to people in public.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:27 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Use correct information and you will not get corrected.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:36 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
"Do you feel better now that you have corrected me?"

Old 12-28-2023, 02:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
I think if he says it in a non-confrontational tone it's fine.

I would do that.

If my mate would say ... we went to Hawaii in November, I would say ... actually it was October.

And then you say ... Oh it WAS October, or ... NO it was November. What's wrong with that?

Either way, you're not getting divorced over it, and TBH nobody really cares.

Most couples deal with similar minor issues in terms of personality clash.

And many couples who stay together for the duration have much bigger clashes.

One couple I know, the husband downright lies or exaggerates about stories in the past. And they're going to stay together, and ... it doesn't matter what anybody on CD Forum has to say.

Last edited by jobaba; 12-28-2023 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2023, 03:22 PM

147 posts, read 111,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Maybe I am just not as smart or worldly as my DH but this gets on my nerves. He is constantly correcting me when I just make casual statements….in front of people.

Examples: I might mispronounce a word, I might say we moved into this house in June, I might say I used to have a BMW X1. He will then be sure to immediately use the correct pronunciation, he will correct me and say “no, we moved late May” or “Actually the car was an X5.”~ always when we are with other people.

Several times over the past 20 years I have challenged him and said later “Why do you think it mattered if we moved here the last week of May or in June as far as what we were discussing with the Smiths?” And he’ll say “well, you were wrong.” But I find it embarrassing that he feels a need to publicly correct me on inconsequential things. It feels very passive aggressive…..something he denies. I’ve told him I don’t like it but he continues to do this pretty regularly.

Well you have expressed his feelings to him and he still do it regularly. Sound like he doesn't care about your feelings . Question is, Is this a really MAJOR RED FLAG to you that you can give him ultimatum if he doesn't change then you can no longer have a relationship with him....?

Old 12-28-2023, 03:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think if he says it in a non-confrontational tone it's fine.

Even after she's told him repeatedly that it bothers her? His insistence on continuing the behavior knowing how she feels about it shows a lack of respect for her feelings.

Old 12-28-2023, 03:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Even after she's told him repeatedly that it bothers her? His insistence on continuing the behavior knowing how she feels about it shows a lack of respect for her feelings.
People are largely incapable of change.

The husband is incapable of not correcting because certain people are trained that way.

The wife is incapable of not taking something relatively harmless as a slight.

Posters on CD Forum are incapable of not posting the same neurotic threads over, and over, and over... and so on, and so on.

So, generally you deal, compromise, and die.

And as far as a relationship issue in terms of magnitude, I'd say 1 out of 10. Maybe 1.5.

Old 12-28-2023, 03:49 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
https://psychcentral.com/blog/healin...me-in-public#1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.