Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Its NOT going to be easy for me to say this. I apologize for changing your posts from what I saw as a personal attack. I have no excuses.
Thank you for saying that. You are a bigger person than I for saying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:33 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was married and since my divorce in 2004, with the exception of a short relationship in 05, i've been single ever since. I like being single and I prefer being single. I will be 33 next month.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:36 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was married and since my divorce in 2004, with the exception of a short relationship in 05, i've been single ever since. I like being single and I prefer being single. I will be 33 next month.
More power to ya. Less drama and stress.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,864 times
Default Do women or men enjoy being single?

This topic piqued my interest because I'm a 41 year old woman, single without children. I always thought I would get married and have kids but never met the right person. The question of whether women or men enjoy or are upset by being single depends on if they are happy with who they are as a person. I recently travelled and attended an amazing concert by myself and saw everyone in couples or familes. I was completely alone but able to enjoy the concert and also the amazing city I was visiting. I seem to do a lot of solo travelling but it has given me perspective. I'm American but can visit Mexico or Canada and have a great time and then tell my friends about it when I get home. My career involves helping single moms with job training, and I volunteer a few times a month in community. I'm happy being single because each day is free and beautiful. If I someday meet my soul mate, well........

Old 12-24-2008, 11:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
cant speak for all guys. i think most wana be married. from the posts i have seen --so true for most women. but of course you should not want things at any cost.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:07 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I was listening to this video on YouTube and this dude said men enjoying being single compared to women.

Are men really happy with their lives if they stay single? Can women be happy with their lives if they're single?

Since I'm staying childfree and most women do want children, then I have to get used to staying single, probably forever, and maybe leave the world a virgin (I don't believe in fornication).
haha, don't be too pessimistic, just because you don't want kids -- I'm the same way -- doesn't mean you have to stay a virgin! I'm happy being single but that doesn't mean I don't want action, too. I just have to find the right circumstances and the right girls, at least for that period of time. I don't want kids, girls know this of me quickly, and if they don't like that tough, they can either accept it or move on. But certainly for short term flings it's not a big deal.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:07 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Maybe this cute girl will cheer you up?

http://waddle.uoregon.edu/albums/NewsImages/f_dyke.sized.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
haha, don't be too pessimistic, just because you don't want kids -- I'm the same way -- doesn't mean you have to stay a virgin! I'm happy being single but that doesn't mean I don't want action, too. I just have to find the right circumstances and the right girls, at least for that period of time. I don't want kids, girls know this of me quickly, and if they don't like that tough, they can either accept it or move on. But certainly for short term flings it's not a big deal.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:11 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
To the OP, it's understandable that at that age, you want to be childless, especially from looking at your peers and they have kids and not doing that well.

I on the other hand, want marriage and children, it's just me. I used to not want kids when I was a teen. Then, I got older and.....changed the mindset. I'm not saying that that's what's going to happen to you.

I will though, get my education, have my high-income carreer, make most, hopefully make all my dreams come true so I can make a legacy to leave behind and then, "have husband and kids." It's all about preparation to me.

Granted that there are children who are abused, neglected, and murdered, at least you are very honest about not wanting kids because you felt that you don't have that compacity to handle the stress with your life (I'm not saying that you're incompetent) and you want to enjoy the traveling freedom with the girl you married.

To answer the poll, from what I saw, read, and heard, because not everyone is the same, I would say that some men and women want to marry, some men and women don't. It's the same answer for wanting children.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:02 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleomayline View Post
I believe young men prefer being single; older men married.
I believe young women prefer being married; older women single.
If you had asked me before I'd read this post, I suppose that I'd have told you I thought the situation was the reverse. However, it probably comes down to how you define young and old. If you mean old as over 60, I haven't asked any women from that age group but I can't imagine there is much fun looking after a man who is in poor and declining health.

If you are talking about under 23, I think a portion young women have a very unrealistic view of marriage and pursue it with too much vigor. However, it is not true for many others. Young men, of course, chafe at the restrictions and responsibilities thrust on them at that age.

My experience is as an educated, career oriented individual who has nothing to say about either of these groups, due to my lack of experience. Getting established was important to me and by the time (nearly 30) when I started looking seriously, time was running out. I would say that for me and my peers, 27 to about 35 were the years when our interest peaked but good opportunities were scarce. When it eventually became obvious that there was nobody who interested me much, I stopped looking and made the remaining sacrifices necessary to complete building my life.

In my early 40's, I was suddenly looking prosperous (I had a vehicle that was ONLY 6 years old, but it was paying off my mortgage that really did it) and suddenly I had experiences that I'd almost never had before. I was approached almost weekly by women, especially at work, who were trying to set me up. Where were they 15 years earlier?

It didn't take long to determine that my prospects were even worse than a decade earlier and I started to decline their advances. Then the "ambush" approaches started and I was also approached directly. I have always been a person to give people a chance but this was a mistake since the women doing the approaching were the types to make it difficult to extricate oneself. Their life is such a series of crises, that I could never find an appropriate time to pull the plug. Eventually, I learned to keep my head down.

Now at 53, I am again reconsidering. Last summer, I had a short liaison with a woman who I liked and respected. She also had appeared to have it together but I never really found out for sure. It ended in a new experience for me - I was dumped - probably good for both of us. However it rekindled a long dormant interest in a relationship. Unfortunately, my problem has always been getting a woman, who I am interested in, to take an interest in me. I do have a couple of ideas though and plan to pursue them soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships