Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 04:02 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times

Advertisements

If so, in what contexts and why? And do women have any reciprocal responsibility towards men?

Last edited by MrSykes; 03-14-2024 at 04:26 AM..

Old 03-14-2024, 04:16 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Other than not being creepy and not bothering women when they’re out and about, no. I can take care of myself, thank you.

Old 03-14-2024, 04:21 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,450,203 times
According to more traditional gender roles, yes, according to more modern ones, no. According to modern ones a man should make a woman feel safe from himself, but not from other men or the world at large. Each person an island and all that. Not sure reality actually pans out that way though.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Do men have a responsibility to make women feel safe?
That could be taken so many ways.
I'll go with this though, men have a responsibility to make women feel safe by not behaving in a hostile or threatening manner towards them. It is a reciprocal responsibility, additionally men should not behave in a hostile or threatening manner towards other men either.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:40 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Kinda a vague question.

Stranger men have the responsibility to show respect towards women; not to make them feel threatened in any way. Men should respect their physical boundaries. They are not responsible for making said woman "feel safe".

Male friends, husbands, boyfriends, SOs, and companions have the responsibility to make their women feel safe. In turn, the women have the responsibility to not escalate situations with others that would get their male companions (whoever they are) into sticky situations. Women have to understand that if she picks a fight with another man, she is doing it on behalf of the male that is with her whether he wants to or not.

I worked as a bouncer at a bar in the past. At least in that bar, half the fights between men started with a drunk rowdy woman stepping over a line; thinking no one will touch her. She is right, they won't but they'll go after her man. Similarly if I have to restrain a woman to get her out of the bar, I'll ask her male companion to do so several times saying I don't want to have to put my hands on her or have trouble with him. Thankfully most men will comply. Wasn't a job I enjoyed much.

Last edited by usayit; 03-14-2024 at 06:50 AM..

Old 03-14-2024, 06:55 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am old, but traditionally, my generation expects a man to be a protector.

This doesn’t mean that women are defenseless creatures, but it means we feel more secure in some situations with a man who is physically stronger. If the man doesn’t kill the bugs, and remove the snakes, what do we need them for? I COULD do these things, but I don’t want to.

I also think that it makes a man feel good to be this way.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:21 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If so, in what contexts and why? And do women have any reciprocal responsibility towards men?
Men are the stronger sex. That's just biological fact. Though variance exists, some women are stronger than a tiny % of men, in general this holds. As a result, men should do their best to not come across intimidating to women they meet and also should do their best to protect women (from other men) in their life. That's how I view it.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:33 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,038,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
"Safe" can be taken in different contexts. Emotionally safe? Physically safe from harm?

I personally don't need a man or anyone else to make me feel safe in any way. It is good, however to know that you have a partner that has your back, will support you emotionally, and not allow anyone to physically harm you.

Emotional safety comes from within ourselves. Our fears, doubts, etc. during everyday life should not cause upheaval or drama, but be dealt with in a mature, thoughtful manner.

As for my fiance', I'm sure he feels "safe" with me emotionally but It's not likely I can take out a burgler or anything. For that, he will have to pony up while I hide.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:51 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
"Safe" can be taken in different contexts. Emotionally safe? Physically safe from harm?

I personally don't need a man or anyone else to make me feel safe in any way. It is good, however to know that you have a partner that has your back, will support you emotionally, and not allow anyone to physically harm you.

Emotional safety comes from within ourselves. Our fears, doubts, etc. during everyday life should not cause upheaval or drama, but be dealt with in a mature, thoughtful manner.

As for my fiance', I'm sure he feels "safe" with me emotionally but It's not likely I can take out a burgler or anything. For that, he will have to pony up while I hide.
I took the question to mean physical safety. "Emotional safety" is pretty vague. What does that mean, someone who never criticizes you or hurts your feelings? Everyone does that at times. Someone who never flirts with another member of the opposite sex? Well, that certainly runs both ways.

Your last sentence contradicts the rest of your post. If you think you would need your fiance to protect you from a hypothetical burglar, than you do need a man to make you feel safe in that particular way. I feel the same about my husband. Most of the time, I feel perfectly safe in my environment, but a situation could definitely arise in which I would be extremely relieved to have him or another trusted man show up. And I think most women honestly feel the same way.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:00 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Do men have a responsibility to make women feel safe?
That could be taken so many ways.
I'll go with this though, men have a responsibility to make women feel safe by not behaving in a hostile or threatening manner towards them. It is a reciprocal responsibility, additionally men should not behave in a hostile or threatening manner towards other men either.
This is true, and also there are some women who think it's harmless to be aggressive or start fights or be physical, with the expectation that men will protect them from the consequences. That's not cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships