Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,709 times

Advertisements

Ha ha!!! I just found out that if you put the OP of this thread on ignore, not only does the "Is it cheating" thread reduce by more than 1/2 of the total number of posts... but all the ones left are saying the same thing!!!

Not really... I didn't try it... but if I did....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Ha ha!!! I just found out that if you put the OP of this thread on ignore, not only does the "Is it cheating" thread reduce by more than 1/2 of the total number of posts... but all the ones left are saying the same thing!!!

Not really... I didn't try it... but if I did....
That's what I was just thinking...that it was the OP who (that? Can never remember this grammar rule) did most of the baiting. As pointed out here, sometimes people are sincerely looking for advice. In my experience on this forum, when you are genuinely looking for advice, you get more of the useful answers. But when you claim you're asking for advice, then stomp all over anyone who answers with anything you hadn't already lock-stock-and-barrel decided, you're going to get the negative replies. And you probably know it before even posting the question.

Typically it's an attention-getting ploy and a reason to reinforce how awful you've already decided people are, etc.

Just immature and uncalled for and, well, silly.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkerjim View Post
edit posts? for what? someone gets upset and you change it so they get unupset?
ooppps time to edit my post!

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-06-2008 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 01:06 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Is there a way to put another poster on ignore?
Certainly! Just go to your settings and choose that option, then type their screen name in the box which comes up. ....handy little tool.....ZAP!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Certainly! Just go to your settings and choose that option, then type their screen name in the box which comes up. ....handy little tool.....ZAP!
These are really "healthy" features... No wonder more and more apply them in real life - just wipe out inconvenient people one way or another, sometimes going as far as homicide. That's the way to deal with everything...

Old 06-06-2008, 02:24 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmmm...Pirate Girl always seems to have sound advise/opinions and as usual Pirate did on the linked thread
Guess some should not ask questions if they really don't want to hear the answers...
Thanks Kate.

I am a Guardian Ad Litem and I can't tell you how many times I've watched bitterness like that of Ivory tear apart a family.

My encouragement for her to rethink her responsibility and her strategy was to prevent her from losing her children. The current culture in our country's court system has become much more friendly to fathers- and much more critical of parental alienation syndrome.

Judges, mediators and the mental health professionals who are often brought into these combative cases have become very sensitive to passionate negative emotions and often make custodial decisions based upon the parent that they think is better capable of encouraging a relationship with both parents. It's very important that anger and resentments are set aside for the sake of children. I've had to participate in proceedings that have been painful- and horrifying. Parents who cannot see past their anger at one another- sometimes over things that have happened years ago without regard for the current state of affairs.

Often parents are so sure they are doing the right thing by "protecting" their child from the so called evil other parent that they don't understand that they are ripping their children apart right before their eyes. This is damaging and creates a very sad state of affairs and puts children in the precarious situation of feeling as though they have to choose between their parents.

Ivory doesn't want to listen to reason- I tried to be nice, I tried to be hard and I finally expressed what she is risking by burying her head in the sand.

Sometimes it's a lesson that's learned the hard way- and unfortunately, by then it's too late to change a custody arrangement that is court ordered.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:28 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Thanks Kate.

I am a Guardian Ad Litem and I can't tell you how many times I've watched bitterness like that of Ivory tear apart a family.

My encouragement for her to rethink her responsibility and her strategy was to prevent her from losing her children. The current culture in our country's court system has become much more friendly to fathers- and much more critical of parental alienation syndrome.

Judges, mediators and the mental health professionals who are often brought into these combative cases have become very sensitive to passionate negative emotions and often make custodial decisions based upon the parent that they think is better capable of encouraging a relationship with both parents. It's very important that anger and resentments are set aside for the sake of children. I've had to participate in proceedings that have been painful- and horrifying. Parents who cannot see past their anger at one another- sometimes over things that have happened years ago without regard for the current state of affairs.

As judges should! Very well said Pirate Girl. As to the OP of the other thread, she's still saying the exact same thing 25 pages later. Your advice is right on target, but on deaf ears. Great message for anyone going through this type of situation though!!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
It works...unless someone ELSE quotes them, then their words are visible to you as well.

It is sometimes healthier to remove another's ability to take a poke at you, without actually poking them yourself.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,617 times
Ratz, I think IVORY just wants to have the last word in EVERYTHING!! LOL!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
OH, I can't resist this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships