Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 PM

40 posts, read 45,348 times

Advertisements

I am a single 26 year old male and I’m trying to get a girlfriend or atleast develop a relationship with a female. I was wondering if it is okay if I start conversations with random women I see in a outside shopping setting such as in a Target for instance. Would that be considered awkward or can I actually develop a relationship with a random lady I see that appears to be single (not accompanied by a male or friend) by just talking to her? What would I have to say to start a conversation? Would most women feel freaked out if some random guy started talking to them?

Old 08-03-2019, 08:40 PM

1,210 posts, read 889,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlight04 View Post
I am a single 26 year old male and I’m trying to get a girlfriend or atleast develop a relationship with a female. I was wondering if it is okay if I start conversations with random women I see in a outside shopping setting such as in a Target for instance. Would that be considered awkward or can I actually develop a relationship with a random lady I see that appears to be single (not accompanied by a male or friend) by just talking to her? What would I have to say to start a conversation? Would most women feel freaked out if some random guy started talking to them?
Yes it's OK. Not really too awkward. But it seems like a poor use of time. Would you buy a car based only on looks OR would you want to know the MPG, reliability, safety, etc?

Why not online dating? It's direct and to the point and you get a lot of important information to use for filtering.
The only thing you know about chicks at Target is the ones you would consider approaching meet your attractiveness requirements.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:09 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Why outside? It's easier to start a conversation inside ...

Old 08-03-2019, 09:29 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlight04 View Post
OP, do you have a life outside of work? Are you involved in any group activities, co-ed sports, hobby groups, volunteering? That's the best way to meet women. Conversation isn't awkward, because you're already sharing an activity you all enjoy. Conversation flows more naturally. Plus, they see you on a regular basis, whenever the group meets, so they have a chance to observe you and get to know you over time, and you--them.

Ambushing women outside of stores will have a lower chance of success.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Yes it's OK. Not really too awkward. But it seems like a poor use of time. Would you buy a car based only on looks OR would you want to know the MPG, reliability, safety, etc?

Why not online dating? It's direct and to the point and you get a lot of important information to use for filtering.
The only thing you know about chicks at Target is the ones you would consider approaching meet your attractiveness requirements.
I mean how would I approach a random girl I find attractive shopping in target ? What would I need to say and if I asked them for their phone number or if they would like to be my girl friend would they be turned off ?

Old 08-03-2019, 09:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,813 times
I saw this tv show with Lisa Ling a few years ago. It followed some guy who walks up to women at random (out on the street or in stores). He had his technique down pretty well. He would try to get their contact information for dates after spekaing with them a few minutes... If he was shot down, he did not take it personally, and he would move on and try again.

The hardest part was just getting over the initial embarrassment and knowing what to say to break the ice.

The guy also taught other groups of men who were super shy on how to break the ice with women.

It was an hour long show and was rather interesting to watch...

I was going to give this a shot if online dating did not work. But my current girlfriend for the last 2.5 years wrote to me on Eharmony after I was on the site after 3 days. So, never had to try it...

I mentioned it to her (my girlfriend) once, and now she likes to tease me sometimes when I got to the store by myself :P

Old 08-03-2019, 09:41 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,553,688 times
If some guy came up to me at Target and asked for my phone number I’d give him one of my “looks” and walk away. If he asked if I wanted to be his girlfriend I’d report him to security.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:41 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post

I disagree. I don't think it's okay because a lot of people would be weirded out. It used to be okay to do this type of thing at bars, but now it depends on the bar and the context.
Not all, but many people would take it as slightly creepy, especially younger people probably because now you have online/mobile options.

Better to try in a club/interest group and with a female that is by herself rather than within a group of people.

Or, if you are at a random, public place and can start a conversation because a girl is wearing a cool shirt of something you're really into, then maybe you can lead on with something like that slightly and if she doesn't seem to reciprocate well, then don't push it.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, do you have a life outside of work? Are you involved in any group activities, co-ed sports, hobby groups, volunteering? That's the best way to meet women. Conversation isn't awkward, because you're already sharing an activity you all enjoy. Conversation flows more naturally. Plus, they see you on a regular basis, whenever the group meets, so they have a chance to observe you and get to know you over time, and you--them.

Ambushing women outside of stores will have a lower chance of success.
No, I just workout in the gym and go home. I don’t like speaking to women in the gym.

Whenever I go to target I usually see lots of really attractive women shopping by themselves so I’m wondering if it would be okay if I actually approached someone by starting a random conversation but I’m not sure what to say

Old 08-03-2019, 10:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If some guy came up to me at Target and asked for my phone number I’d give him one of my “looks” and walk away. If he asked if I wanted to be his girlfriend I’d report him to security.
In the show... He talked for a while, and then got the number after he asked about meeting them again for coffee... Its not like he walked up and just asked for the number immediately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships