Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 AM

70 posts, read 239,457 times

Advertisements

I was thinking, do people really have a right to be angry if their girlfriend or boyfriend cheats on them, or if their girlfriend or boyfriend is spending too much time with their friends e.t.c ?.I'm not in that situation, but i've read alot about people being angry over these things.I'm in two minds about it.I feel that you should because cheating is a terrible thing to do, and if you are going out with someone, you should see them often, and you should see each other and your friends, equally, if you can and not see one more than the other.

However, on the other hand, i dont think we would have a right.I can understand it if you are married, as you are legally tied to each other, but when you have a girlfriend or boyfriend, you're not.You know what i mean ?.If you arent married, you are free in a sense,because you arent married.

I would be angry if i was in that situation, but at the same time, i wouldnt think i had a right to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 11:53 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethfromEngland View Post
I was thinking, do people really have a right to be angry if their girlfriend or boyfriend cheats on them, or if their girlfriend or boyfriend is spending too much time with their friends e.t.c ?.I'm not in that situation, but i've read alot about people being angry over these things.I'm in two minds about it.I feel that you should because cheating is a terrible thing to do, and if you are going out with someone, you should see them often, and you should see each other and your friends, equally, if you can and not see one more than the other.

However, on the other hand, i dont think we would have a right.I can understand it if you are married, as you are legally tied to each other, but when you have a girlfriend or boyfriend, you're not.You know what i mean ?.If you arent married, you are free in a sense,because you arent married.

I would be angry if i was in that situation, but at the same time, i wouldnt think i had a right to be.
I was in that situation and after I got over being angry, I was glad I found out before we were married. Realistically, if they can't stay true to you when the relationship is new and exciting, what's going to happen years down the road?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 AM

70 posts, read 239,457 times
That's a good point.If someone does cheat on you, it is best to get out of the situation as soon as you can.

I know some people do have open relationships, but i wouldnt be happy with that.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Getting mad in this situation is a reaction to being hurt vice being mad at the act itself, from my perspective. It's not that we're mad at what they did.. we are mad because we are hurt at the fact that they did it to us (whether it's about us or not).

In my case, I only called someone my girlfriend when we initiated a sexual relationship, because that signals the start of a monogamous relationship to me. So, when an individual cheats, and they are "boyfriend-girlfriend" it starts to erode the trust required for the monogamous relationship.

I agree that when you're in a "boyfriend-girlfriend" relationship and someone cheats, it's easier to just to cut bait and leave than when you're married, but the anger over the hurt isn't any less.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Getting mad in this situation is a reaction to being hurt vice being mad at the act itself, from my perspective. It's not that we're mad at what they did.. we are mad because we are hurt at the fact that they did it to us (whether it's about us or not).

In my case, I only called someone my girlfriend when we initiated a sexual relationship, because that signals the start of a monogamous relationship to me. So, when an individual cheats, and they are "boyfriend-girlfriend" it starts to erode the trust required for the monogamous relationship.

I agree that when you're in a "boyfriend-girlfriend" relationship and someone cheats, it's easier to just to cut bait and leave than when you're married, but the anger over the hurt isn't any less.
Well said. When you care about someone and have some sort of exclusive sexual rights arrangement you have made yourself vulnerable, extended your trust and extended your respect to that person. The violation of said arrangement is, at once, a kick in the vulnerability, disrespectful, a rejection of your trust, and a flagrant rejection of you as a partner. Of course you want to be angry. Logic dictates that you pack up and move on without a second thought. Unfortunately, humans are seldom logical.

As to whether or not you have the right to be angry, I'm not sure that really matters. Emotions don't care about rights.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:30 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
As to whether or not you have the right to be angry, I'm not sure that really matters. Emotions don't care about rights.
'Nuff said...and said perfectly!!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethfromEngland View Post

There are different levels of romantic relationships. If it's a new and casual relationship, then it may not necessarily be a monogamous one. But if a couple has been dating for a while, then there could be expectations of being exclusive to each other. But what is key here is open and honest communication between both people. If one person wants to be in a monogamous relationship, then they should say so and the other person needs to either agree to the arrangement if that is what also what they want and disagree if they are not ready to.

As to how much time their s/o spends with their friends, again the couple needs to discuss this. I think that it's healthier for each to maintain their separate friends and personal spaces, and too much of a good thing can ruin a relationship. I don't think that in a serious relationship, every weekend night has to be spent with ones s/o, but every couple is different. But good communication is key.

And when dating, it's very important to be picky and only date people that are close to your ideal. Don't compromise your standards just to have romantic company. I'd rather wait for Mr. Right and be alone, than date the first or second guy that asks me out.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:50 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
We're each of us solely responsible for how we respond to this, as we are to all other things.

Putting the blame on someone else for how YOU feel is a cop-out, an empowerment of the other person and just smacks of giving up self-control and self-respect.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
We're each of us solely responsible for how we respond to this, as we are to all other things.

Putting the blame on someone else for how YOU feel is a cop-out, an empowerment of the other person and just smacks of giving up self-control and self-respect.
Personally, if you are co-dependent, get out of the relationship and meet someone who has the same self respect. Anyone who has to be with more than one person has issues.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:28 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Anyone who has to be with more than one person has issues.
Perhaps not the least of which is, they should probably be investigating alternative relationship structures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships