Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,221 times

Advertisements

We once knew a couple that came to be together in sort of that way. They seemed happy and content, but I did get the feeling that the care of her family overseas was a prime motive for her.

She was a very talented lady and seemed to have a good mind of her own. I preferred her over her husband, but since I'm a gal too, that's typical. Have not seen them in years, but I hope all is well. She really desired to have children, and he did not. He had been through a bad first marriage with a fellow American.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:02 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,824,997 times
I don't see much difference between buying a wife from a catalog and paying to find one from a dating service.

It's just a matter of degree.

The worst losers have to pay more money and search further.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,451 times
Anyone who actually mail orders a bride is a d*mn fool. Foriegn girls can be great.. there's something to be said for cultures where gender actually means something and family has more value than possessions. The trick is not to remove her from her culture. Bringing any girl to america will just make her american.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I've worked with several guys that have gone the mail order route and two were introduced by mutual friends.

The two introductions, both Asian, have worked well... one at 11 years and the other going on 8 years.

Both of the mail order route married Russian/Ukrainian Women... both ladies were young, quite attractive and smart... both marriages ended around years 5/6... just long enough to stay here permanently and neither had children.

So, I don't know anyone where it has worked out... unless your looking for a 6 year business arrangement

Old 06-16-2008, 03:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
If I had no alternative but dating women, I wouldn't "order mailbrides", NEVER; I would travel around (probably Asian countries, NEVER East European countries) and try to get to know a woman and when trust is established, then maybe try to bring her homes (I have many friends and accointances who have made it, and it seems to work well, with Thai, Philipino, African women, although I wouldn't trust the latter...)

Old 06-16-2008, 03:07 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
I meant "dating FOREIGN women", sorry.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,899 times
I remember seeing a man of about 60 with this really young oriental looking girl at the Mall, she was helping him load up shopping. she was looking at him disgustedly and the old man looked really sad. I felt so sorry for him. He must have been hoping for some love and fun with this young oriental girl, but she had just used him as a ticket over and seemed to detest him.

These men are as dumb as the older women who go to Turkey or whatever and bring back home some young guys who they "Fell in Love with", yet they run off as soon as they have their freedom to stay independantly in the country.

People can't be purchased through catalogues like pieces of furniture. And I think it has zero romance too.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I have a few friends who tried the mail order bride thing.

The first one got burned to the tune of about $9,000 the first time, came back for more, got one home (young Thai gal) and now she kicks him around pretty good (I'm happy to say).

The other two brought over russian women and they changed in both shape & attitude within a year or so and both are as sorry as sorry can be.

Me, I'd never consider it.

But I was curious if anyone has any experience with this stuff.
The problem with your friends' strategy is depicted hereinabove as bold, italic and underlined. Forget the Russians and Thai girls. Get a Phillipina and you'll be happy for the rest of your days.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The problem with your friends' strategy is depicted hereinabove as bold, italic and underlined. Forget the Russians and Thai girls. Get a Phillipina and you'll be happy for the rest of your days.

Honestly, it sounds like you're talking about what breed of dog to buy!! Get a phillipina, get a Thai. Get a Golden Retriever or a Labrador they're really good breeds - so loyal. Or how about a Daschund or Dalmation -spots so cute and gets everyones attention - little dogs are a bit snappy steer clear.......so on......

These are people. Human beings. Not breeds you know!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:29 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Honestly, it sounds like you're talking about what breed of dog to buy!! Get a phillipina, get a Thai. Get a Golden Retriever or a Labrador they're really good breeds - so loyal. Or how about a Daschund or Dalmation -spots so cute and gets everyones attention - little dogs are a bit snappy steer clear.......so on......

These are people. Human beings. Not breeds you know!!!
uh, just kidding... I think the whole thing is ridiculous. If a man is so undesirable and lacking in social skills as to be "un-marriable" here, why would a mail-order bride be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.