Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

otherwise you'd be rubbing your point in everybody's face...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No point at all - just clarification because of the many misconceptions above.

Too bad I just have no stakes in the subject to keep the trouble going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Dr. Ruth's ghost is at it again....somebody call an exorcist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
It's one of those situations that always sounds good in your imagination but the reality is much more painful for everyone. You could never trust the other person. How would you ever feel special or really loved after that. Where is the commitment? You open a can of worms that the other person might find someone just a touch better and than the marriage ends...and what if there were young children. How confusing for everyone. Imagine the phone ringing, "oh dear, it's your girlfriend" Yikes.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
....I personally kinda like the idea of polygamy... You have your own home to do with what you please and get a visitor occasionally. It's almost like a stable FWB arrangement.

I'm the queen of off-topic, but let's try to stick to polyamory for at least a few posts.
Never was interested in "swinging" or an "open marriage", but I am reposting the following from a "Threesomes?" thread, because it appears related to your topic and I never got a response:

"I have read every post on this thread and while I respect the wide range of opinions and experiences, I have never experienced the angst and moral outrage of some. I guess i never thought of a "threesome" as a dispassionate, unemotional recreational outing. I did live with two women for over ten years, and the sexual component of the relationship was important. When friends and colleagues wanted to engage me in a conversation about the sexual aspect of the threesome, it was clear that they did not appreciate the core of trust that was necessary for a successful relationship. Therefore, while I am not morally opposed to a "threesome", I believe it is extremely rare to find partners more committed to each others feelings than to their own selfish gratification."

Two wives, same house, same bed. It took great effort, but was never "work".

Old 06-12-2008, 08:29 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Never was interested in "swinging" or an "open marriage", but I am reposting the following from a "Threesomes?" thread, because it appears related to your topic and I never got a response:

"I have read every post on this thread and while I respect the wide range of opinions and experiences, I have never experienced the angst and moral outrage of some. I guess i never thought of a "threesome" as a dispassionate, unemotional recreational outing. I did live with two women for over ten years, and the sexual component of the relationship was important. When friends and colleagues wanted to engage me in a conversation about the sexual aspect of the threesome, it was clear that they did not appreciate the core of trust that was necessary for a successful relationship. Therefore, while I am not morally opposed to a "threesome", I believe it is extremely rare to find partners more committed to each others feelings than to their own selfish gratification."

Two wives, same house, same bed. It took great effort, but was never "work".
But I only have one question WHY. Honestly what are the pro/cons.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Loved them both and still do. An analysis of the "pros/cons" would be extraordinarily lengthy, but at least in my case, would be very similar to "marriage x 2" concurrently.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:05 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Talking lol-

Quote:
Swinging is different.
Yes- that's usually a married man- who really wants open marriage but forgets to ask the wife.....

Old 06-13-2008, 07:32 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Do you remember the old DoubleMint gum commercials?

"Double your pleasure, double your fun..."

Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
I just flipped past Oprah today and there was a woman on who was married but with a 'boyfriend'...I was like huuh?

In my opinion there's no point in open marriages,you're either committed or you're not. Unless you made different vows but what's the point?
To me that's a security thing,'having your cake and eating it too'- or having a 'backup'. How could people agree to that? Somewhere along the line wouldn't someone feel 'upstaged'?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships