Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,952,189 times

Advertisements

Okay... I've been catching up on the weekend reads, and there's some threads that have a common thought, so I thought I'd throw it out there as a new topic of discussion.

Is there only ONE person in the world for you? What I mean is ... NWPA Guy seems very happy that he has found 'the one' that he waited for. And that's great. I don't know if it's his opinion or not that you can "love" many people, but find only one soulmate.

Some people think they (soulmates) exist (whether they find them or not). Others think there's no such thing, and find the one that makes you happiest.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
There's always that 'one' for everyone. Some people just dont find them in this lifetime.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Okay... I've been catching up on the weekend reads, and there's some threads that have a common thought, so I thought I'd throw it out there as a new topic of discussion.

Is there only ONE person in the world for you? What I mean is ... NWPA Guy seems very happy that he has found 'the one' that he waited for. And that's great. I don't know if it's his opinion or not that you can "love" many people, but find only one soulmate.

Some people think they (soulmates) exist (whether they find them or not). Others think there's no such thing, and find the one that makes you happiest.

Thoughts?

Interesting question
On our wedding day my husband told me I was the "mate of his soul". Whether true soul mates exist or not cannot exactly be proven scientifically, but my own experience tells me such a thing exists. I have cared for other men in my life before our marriage and yes, even loved one. But this man was "IT" for me.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
No, there isn't just one and it's a dangerous lesson to teach our kids that there is.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
No, there isn't just one and it's a dangerous lesson to teach our kids that there is.
I tend to agree because even if the concept of soul mates is a real thing for some people, not every single person is necessarily going to have one, or if they do have one, to find them. It's just kind of nice when it happens that way But agreed, you should not expect it or put your whole life on hold waiting for it.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post

Thoughts?
Statistically speaking, I've read we meet 6 people in our lives who are our ideal mate. When you think about it, it's really a set of characterstics that come together in one person. That can happen more than once for sure.

I think soulmates exist but I think there's more than one possible soul mate.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
No. There is definitely not only "one" person out there for us. I believe that there are many men that would be very compatible with me, but due to circumstances like geography and poor timing, we will never meet. And I think that different combinations of people yield different personal chemistries and that will also vary depending on what else is going on in our lives. Some combinations are more compatible than others.

My current boyfriend is the best one yet. I believe that over the years, I learned from my relationship mistakes. I am better at picking out who I will be more compatible with. I think that too many people pick out their s/o based on going after the cutest person they think they can get. Then they make another mistake by getting engaged and married too soon. The current formula seems to be getting engaged after only one year of dating. Then married a year after that. Scary!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
what if your actually "soul mate" is your best freind. that person that has all the best characteristics that match with yours etc. ?
i think that you can love a few, but if you are lucky you will find that ONE that is just the epitamy of everything you can hope for. that doesnt mean you are destined to be together forever though...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
Personally speaking (of course), I think there is someone for everyone. I do not necessarily think the first person you fall in love with is "the one". I do think that at a certain stage in your life once you have loved, lost, learned and learned a lot about yourself that you will reach a place that you meet someone and that person will be the person you spend the rest of your life with and love them unconditionally and that they love you unconditionally.
Unless you find someone in life after you have learned and lived a bit that can love you truly unconditionally and likewise then you have not found "the one" just yet.
There are some that may never find that true happiness. The thing to teach your kids is that life is tough, live and learn, don't jump in over your head and get to know you before you put yourself out there for others.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. There is definitely not only "one" person out there for us. I believe that there are many men that would be very compatible with me, but due to circumstances like geography and poor timing, we will never meet. And I think that different combinations of people yield different personal chemistries and that will also vary depending on what else is going on in our lives. Some combinations are more compatible than others.

My current boyfriend is the best one yet. I believe that over the years, I learned from my relationship mistakes. I am better at picking out who I will be more compatible with. I think that too many people pick out their s/o based on going after the cutest person they think they can get. Then they make another mistake by getting engaged and married too soon. The current formula seems to be getting engaged after only one year of dating. Then married a year after that. Scary!
Of course most of us could be compatible with more than just one mate! I myself know of at least 3 other men besides my husband that I could have been successfully married to.

But compatibility is not what I think soul mates are all about. A relationship with a soul mate is at a deeper level than just loving someone or even just being "in love" with someone. I don't have time to explain it all now, but if you've experienced finding your soul mate you will know what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships