Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:45 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times

Advertisements

Do you mind if I send this post out as my RSVP for the next friggin jewelry, Southern Living, bs party invitation I receive???? Would that be a copyright violation?

Thank you for saying what we all would love to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
So, so true, just gave you rep...

Got to share a story here. A few years ago, I went to a friend's baby shower. The woman holding the shower was selling ceramic figurines, lots of them. Think she may have had some tie-in for the mother-to-be to receive something or other.

So it was a combo baby shower/ceramics party. Ugh...

BTW: I did not buy anything, nor did I feel any guilt for not doing so.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,675 times
Repped you too!

HATE IT. No, I do not want Mary Kay, expensive baskets, sex toys, or tupperware.

It's such an awkward situation!!! "Come to my party!" "Please come, it will be so fun" And then you feel like a a-----le if you don't buy anything.

Sorry - it. is. just. tacky. If you want $20, I'll just give you the $20. Let's call a spade a spade.

Like I'm such an idiot, I can't tell what's going on. Nooooooo....I'm sure you just really believe in the product SO much that you had to sell it to your friends. Ugh!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
It's such an awkward situation!!! "Come to my party!" "Please come, it will be so fun" And then you feel like a a-----le if you don't buy anything.
I can see this if it's a close friend you get together with on a regular basis and attend each other's parties, but to be "invited" only to this type of crappy affairs... no way, Jose!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
LOL, that is pretty true. The real friends may try out their sales pitch on you, but they won't force you to buy or make you feel guilty if you say no.

I'll rep. you as well to join the parade.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
lol that story was hilarious.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Do you mind if I send this post out as my RSVP for the next friggin jewelry, Southern Living, bs party invitation I receive???? Would that be a copyright violation?

Thank you for saying what we all would love to!
Feel free. In fact, I would offer that anybody who wants to put this in a chain letter would get my vote.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I just want to pick up on a reply I put on another thread.

We're friends, right? I can tell you my honest opinion, because you know my intent is not to hurt your feelings.

Okay. Here goes.

I am your friend. I am not a sales target. I am not a way for you to earn a living or potential commission. My friendship and my circle of other acquaintances are not assets for you to tap into, as if it were an oil field.

Because when you come to me with your AmWay, your Arbonne Cosmetics, your Cabi shows, your long-distance plans, your Avon, and everything else you care to name, that's how you make me feel. And if the rest of your friends were being perfectly honest, that's the way you make them feel, too.

So now, every time I see your name on my caller ID, I am forced to ask the awful question, "Does she want to talk to me, or does she want to peddle more crap?" Between the neighbors kids selling stuff to raise money for their band trip, the Boy Scouts selling popcorn to finance their activities, and the church choir staging yet another fundraiser to buy a new organ, I am assaulted by worthy people at every turn, seeking my money.

As my friend, you are supposed to be my refuge from that. I should be part of your word because you like me, and for no other reason. For I am not a prospect. I am not the Comstock Lode to be mined relentlessly. I am a living, breathing person who does not like to feel used. You know, the way it feels when you choose to taint our friendship with commerce.

Good luck with your business. Win the White Mercedes. Win top honors. Go for the gusto. But please don't hound me day after day, week after week, to help fund it. If I want to buy your stuff, I'll call you. Don't call me. Unless you just want to be my friend.

Thank you.
OK, you're not my friend any more. I needed a shoulder and you crapped all over me.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Feel free. In fact, I would offer that anybody who wants to put this in a chain letter would get my vote.

Consider it done!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:53 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
I could spew additional volumes on this subject, but it wouldn't do any good. I've already vented to friends about it to the point where they're sick of hearing about it ... and have probably posted here about their frustrations with my complaints. I have a family member who guilt-tripped the entire family into spending $65-75/month on the stuff she sells. I used to feel resentful each time I made my order, but other than this, she has been pure gold in our lives. I just try to focus on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships