Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

I have a very dear friend of mine that I truly love. The problem is she has very low self esteem. She has had multiple affairs with married men and won't put herself out there for single guys.

She is wonderful, sweet, smart and pretty. I have tried talking to her and she promises she is done with married men, yet it continues. And she keeps getting hurt in so many ways.

I just want to shake her and tell her how wonderful she is and to stop.....yet she won't. Has anyone had experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Maybe she just gets a "charge" of going out with married men.
If thats the case, then nothing you can do or say will change her mind.
She will have to learn on her own unfortunetly, and hurt others that gets in her path.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Maybe she just gets a "charge" of going out with married men.
If thats the case, then nothing you can do or say will change her mind.
She will have to learn on her own unfortunetly, and hurt others that gets in her path.
Yeah; that drives me insane too. Her hubby had an affair which ended their marriage. It surprises me she is putting herself in these situations. I am so sad for her and everyone that is getting hurt....

Old 06-23-2008, 06:53 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
Maybe she thinks that married men are "safe" so she won't get hurt in a relationship again. Sounds like she hasn't dealt with the pain of her own marriage break up. She probably needs to get into some counseling and see why she is making these choices. She will just end up hurting all the more and that seems sad for her. Good for you for at least encouraging her and building her up.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have a very dear friend of mine that I truly love. The problem is she has very low self esteem. She has had multiple affairs with married men and won't put herself out there for single guys.

She is wonderful, sweet, smart and pretty. I have tried talking to her and she promises she is done with married men, yet it continues. And she keeps getting hurt in so many ways.

I just want to shake her and tell her how wonderful she is and to stop.....yet she won't. Has anyone had experience with this?
Well, if it's a pattern, it's probably caused by fear of intimacy and/or unwillingness to get more deeply involved. Both can be subconscious, I'd say.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Maybe she thinks that married men are "safe" so she won't get hurt in a relationship again. Sounds like she hasn't dealt with the pain of her own marriage break up. She probably needs to get into some counseling and see why she is making these choices. She will just end up hurting all the more and that seems sad for her. Good for you for at least encouraging her and building her up.

That's the point I was going to make.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Why are you defending her friend? She clearly has more than a self esteem problem. She has low morale and an addiction and is CLEARLY a self defeating personality.

I don't think a therapist or counselor could solve that problem for her. Therapists sometimes have the same exact pathetic issues...haha. good luck with that friendship.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
LOL subconcious, sierra thinks she is Freud. It is clearly not subconscious if the OP has brought it to her attention and the friend continues to get burnt by the same type of situations...that would make it a conscious problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, if it's a pattern, it's probably caused by fear of intimacy and/or unwillingness to get more deeply involved. Both can be subconscious, I'd say.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why are you defending her friend? She clearly has more than a self esteem problem. She has low morale and an addiction and is CLEARLY self defeating.

I don't think a therapist or counselor could solve that problem for her. Therapists sometimes have the same exact pathetic issues...haha. good luck with that friendship.
Why would you not defend your friend? The point of friendship is being there through both the good and the bad. BE THERE FOR HER!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,675 times
That would drive me crazy too! It's just so hard to watch. You just want to shake them and say "HE USING YOU!" lol

Anyway, I wouldn't just scream the obvious. I would say, "I think you could benefit from talking to someone. You're just such a wonderful girl but are not meeting the right people. Here is the name of someone my friend uses and really likes ___[insert psychologist name]__________"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships