Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That's a shame. Being that egocentric and not at all humble, I mean.
"The way it ought to be done" is not something I invented. I'm merely repeating it. If I told you that something such as larceny is wrong, and that "the way it ought to be done" is that nobody should steal anything which doesn't belong to them, does that make me egocentric and not humble? I think not.

Y'all who are ripping on me for being bigoted and taking the moral high ground... don't be mad nor surprised when John McCain beats your guy for the Presidency of the United States in November. SOME modicum of morality has to remain in this country or else America is going to self-destruct and that's a fact. Saying that homosexuality is not the right way to live one's life is not being bigoted any more than saying that some other choice of lifestyle is bad. Being bigoted is when one hates people of other races/ethnicities/religions purely because those people belong to said races/ethnicities/religions. I don't hate gay people. I merely believe they are making poor decisions with their lives, and I don't want to see/hear expressions of homosexual love. I don't think I hate anyone. You think that anyone who suggests that someone is doing something wrong is "bigoted"... or that anyone who suggests that any particular way of life is wrong is "bigoted". Look up the definition of "bigot" when you get the chance... or better yet, I'll provide it for you, from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary (Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online): BIGOT: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

Now, note that "obstinate" is defined as: "perversely adhering to an opinion, purpose, or course in spite of reason, arguments, or persuasion". My adhesion to my belief system is not "perverse", and it is not in spite of reason. As a matter of fact, I operate on reason and as such it is difficult to "argue" or "persuade" enough to get me to change my beliefs.

We got talking about this because I "dared" to suggest that homosexuality is a choice. If it isn't, explain to me how some gay people, through the power of God, have been able to put aside all desire for people of the same sex and have become fully functional heterosexuals again? I attended a lecture/presentation put on by one such man... who had been cured of his homosexual desires and by that point was actually happily married to a woman. If it was not a choice, and instead it was a "birth defect" as one poster said, it couldn't just go "poof" like that.

Maybe SierraAZ was right... in this forum it seems like for every one conservative thinker such as myself who actually adheres to solid principles of morality, there are 10 liberal thinkers who believe that what's right for any one person is okay for them and not up for debate nor challenge. Heaven knows, I don't have much time to be on this forum anyway, as my wife and I are feverishly working toward the aforementioned "Kodak life" this summer. If you never hear from me again, just think about things like this. Apparently, I'm a happy guy having done things MY WAY... which I believe is at least darn close to God's way. Y'all who have this problem and that problem and spend hours on Internet forums complaining about your problems certainly don't seem happy. You'll bust on me for my conservative ways, but I'm happy and at least it's evident... if you are happy, it's certainly not evident from the majority of you. I'll take my "stodgy" ways that help my wife and I to be happy any day over accepting a more liberal mindset which would just make me spineless. The old cliche is true... if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
We got talking about this because I "dared" to suggest that homosexuality is a choice. If it isn't, explain to me how some gay people, through the power of God, have been able to put aside all desire for people of the same sex and have become fully functional heterosexuals again? I attended a lecture/presentation put on by one such man... who had been cured of his homosexual desires and by that point was actually happily married to a woman. If it was not a choice, and instead it was a "birth defect" as one poster said, it couldn't just go "poof" like that.
That's just it, it doesn't go "poof" any more than your attraction to women would if you "chose to be gay". You're married right? Did your attraction to other women go "poof" when you said "I do"? I don't think so. You can only choose not to act on it. The drive is always going to be there and is not a choice. Similarly, a gay man can not choose to be straight, he can only choose to live as himself or live in denial. How do you know he was cured of his homosexual desires? Is that what he told you?

And as far as McCain winning the election, let's keep our fingers crossed. Maybe he'll make Joe Arpaio the Homeland Security Director. Just make sure you're making your decisions on a case by case basis. If you have made up your mind about a topic on some general conservative principle before you understand it, you're a fool.

http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f249895%5fANrPjkQAAL87SF%2fUlgTjZV XuMJU&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 06-25-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Maybe SierraAZ was right... in this forum it seems like for every one conservative thinker such as myself who actually adheres to solid principles of morality, there are 10 liberal thinkers who believe that what's right for any one person is okay for them and not up for debate nor challenge. Heaven knows, I don't have much time to be on this forum anyway, as my wife and I are feverishly working toward the aforementioned "Kodak life" this summer. If you never hear from me again, just think about things like this. Apparently, I'm a happy guy having done things MY WAY... which I believe is at least darn close to God's way. Y'all who have this problem and that problem and spend hours on Internet forums complaining about your problems certainly don't seem happy. You'll bust on me for my conservative ways, but I'm happy and at least it's evident... if you are happy, it's certainly not evident from the majority of you. I'll take my "stodgy" ways that help my wife and I to be happy any day over accepting a more liberal mindset which would just make me spineless. The old cliche is true... if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
To me being conservative and being a self-righteous preacher are two entirely different things. Also, I'm very suspicious of people who feel continuous need to convince strangers how happy they are and how they got everything right. Sounds like an attempt to convince themselves. Could be just me, but when I'm happy I don't have such need at all.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
Straight men flirt with me. Are there any other gay men who have/are experiencing this?
Honestly flirting amongst PEOPLE is normal no matter what sex or gender. It is just playful banter I wouldn't look more into it unless someone literally walks up to you and said "I want to have sex with you" even then people say that as a joke.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
there were a lot of birth defects going around during the roman empire then.

My opinion: Everybody is bi it is just more acceptable in western culture for women to show it then men
I'd go with this one...I always have women as well as men hitting on me. I appreciate the attention from women, but it's men that do it for me....but I still think we're all a bit bi, myself.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
If a straight man flirts with you they are not straight.....duh!

There is a difference between teasing,joking around and actually flirting.Straight men flirt with women only because flirting is a form of sexual advancement.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
but I still think we're all a bit bi, myself.

not true.I have no desire what so ever to be with another man even if it was a 3some where we were both tagging a woman.On the other hand I'm open to 2 women with me.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,644 times
Are you sure that they are flirting? Maybe they're just being friendly or just teasing you. This post sounds a lot like the girl who asked what it meant when an older man winked at this young lady. You might be reading too much into the exchange.
I've thrown people out of my bar for harrassing a gay couple. Both the people thrown out and the gay couple then assumed that I must be gay. (Not the case, I just don't allow discrimination of any kind in my business.)
They might not be flirting, they could just be making an effort to be nice. Kind-of like when a young girl smiles at me.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM

33 posts, read 97,021 times
Maybe since you are gay, you think that since he said something friendly that it was flirting. You may not be thinking 100% clearly because you may be somewhat attracted.

If you are 100% positive that he was flirting, then HE WAS GAY!

Straight guys will NOT flirt, even a little, with men, especially a gay man. Trust me 98% of straight men have homo-phobia. Its just a fact.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Cool post. I would say people "TEASE" more than they flirt or befriend. I've been around, so I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Are you sure that they are flirting? Maybe they're just being friendly or just teasing you. This post sounds a lot like the girl who asked what it meant when an older man winked at this young lady. You might be reading too much into the exchange.
I've thrown people out of my bar for harrassing a gay couple. Both the people thrown out and the gay couple then assumed that I must be gay. (Not the case, I just don't allow discrimination of any kind in my business.)
They might not be flirting, they could just be making an effort to be nice. Kind-of like when a young girl smiles at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships