Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this article? Have you disliked or hated your significant other's friend(s)? Or have you been put in the middle where your significant other dislikes or hates your friend(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
No my wifes friends were always pretty amusing, shes got one friend now that absolutely cracks me up.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
I absolutely cannot stand my girlfriend's best friend. I met her for the first time a few years ago. We picked her up so she could stay with us for a week or so and not even halfway through the 2 hour car ride back to the house I wanted to pull over and wrap her mouth up with duct tape. She sat behind me on the car ride and as soon as we got home I needed to take aspirin for a headache, and I rarely ever get a headache bad enough to require pills.

I was pretty much a wreck by the time she left. I spent as much time at my friends' place and at work as I could. I've never met anyone that rubbed me the wrong way as bad as she does. I am so glad she is even further away now and doesn't have a way to get to us...yet.

The rest of her friends are pretty cool. She just thinks my friends are odd and crazy (in a good way).

Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Hmmm... I don't get along with my boyfriend's co-workers, so now I just stay away from them. I don't even answer the phone if his work caller id shows up and I know that he's not there. I refuse to talk to them or take their messages. Several months ago, my boyfriend was out of state visiting a friend. They called and wanted to make sure that he would be back and able to do a 10am appointment on a Saturday. So I relay the message and he gets back that Saturday morning at 8:30am and heads directly from the train station to the shop... and he waits and waits for his customer to show up. Another worker is keeping him company and he's the one that usually answers the phone and takes down the appointments. Finally at noon, he leaves. Then it turns out, someone had messy handwriting and the appointment was really for 1pm. Well my boyfriend is tired, and refuses to turn around to back go to the shop. The shop says it's his fault, I say that it's the shop's fault for the miscommunication. At the very least, maybe it could have been blamed on me for taking down the wrong information (but I didn't). I was really pissed that the owners kept blaming my boyfriend for their error. They do crap like this all of the time.

At this point, I get along with all of my boyfriend's friends but I don't get that chummy with them. And I think that he gets along with all of my friends. Otherwise, I don't get along with his crummy dad and his idiot younger sister. But I just avoid talking to them, if they call I don't pick up the phone, and if my boyfriend decides to like them again, I will support his choices.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,004 times
I get along wonderfully with my husband's friends. He did have a few friends that he didn't want around after we got married. They used to hit on me a lot when all of us
(including my husband) went out in a group. He didn't want to keep friends who hit on his S/O, so he kicked them to the curb. They were pretty shady guys all around though. I didn't really feel one way or the other about them, but my husband really didn't like them by the time we got married.

There is only one of my friends whom my husband does not like and I can't really blame him because most guys don't like her. She is very childlike and asks a lot of silly questions, she also cannot stay quiet when people are supposed to be quiet. Allthough I can understand why he does not like her, she and I are still friends, we just don't hang out very much.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
My experience has been that sometimes best friends can be jealous of the sweetheart for taking the time and attention away from them.

When I was married most of my husband's friends were OK and it was fun hanging out with them. Except one of them was totally creepy and every warning bell in my head went off when we had dinner with him and his then-wife. His first wife he had committed to a mental institution and watching how he treated his second wife I'd say she was well on her way to a breakdown also. I mean this guy was DANGEROUS. My husband couldn't see it, but he did share that when they were kids he tortured small animals, and what's reallly creepy is that he works in an upper level government job doing top secret work. I refused to ever again spend time with this guy. Also he talked about guns and weapons all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if he tortured political prisoners and took pleasure from it.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
If I do not like the company that my GF has, then I will break it off with her. My experience has proven to me (and I am sure that someone will tell me that I am a jerk for this) that a woman's circle of friends is a good indicator of her personality.

However, it seems that no matter who your friends are (if you are a guy) then the girl will always disapprove of you hanging out with half of them for one reason or another

Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I absolutely cannot stand my girlfriend's best friend. I met her for the first time a few years ago. We picked her up so she could stay with us for a week or so and not even halfway through the 2 hour car ride back to the house I wanted to pull over and wrap her mouth up with duct tape. She sat behind me on the car ride and as soon as we got home I needed to take aspirin for a headache, and I rarely ever get a headache bad enough to require pills.

I was pretty much a wreck by the time she left. I spent as much time at my friends' place and at work as I could. I've never met anyone that rubbed me the wrong way as bad as she does. I am so glad she is even further away now and doesn't have a way to get to us...yet.

The rest of her friends are pretty cool. She just thinks my friends are odd and crazy (in a good way).
What was it about her that rubbed you the wrong way? Was she mean to you? Was she just really stupid? Or just a personality conflict that's hard to describe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If I do not like the company that my GF has, then I will break it off with her. My experience has proven to me (and I am sure that someone will tell me that I am a jerk for this) that a woman's circle of friends is a good indicator of her personality.

However, it seems that no matter who your friends are (if you are a guy) then the girl will always disapprove of you hanging out with half of them for one reason or another
Yes, there are many (obviously, not all) women who want to be clingy to her man and don't want him to hang out w/ his buddies. I've encountered this a couple times and warning bells do go off. Some of my friends who fall into this trap basically fall off the planet. Then when they break up, they return to earth and want to hang out again.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
What was it about her that rubbed you the wrong way? Was she mean to you? Was she just really stupid? Or just a personality conflict that's hard to describe?
She wasn't mean. Really stupid/ditsy fits the bill even though I know she isn't as dumb as she acts; it is just how she chooses to act. I can't properly describe it. She has one of those childlike voices where it seems like her vocal cords gave up at age 8 and quit growing, which is not her fault as far as I know, but it doesn't help. She talks insanely loud -all- the time. Asking her to take it down a notch is akin to asking a five year old the same...in a few moments she would crescendo up to her normal volume. She has a machine gun laugh that would kill gophers and squirrels and strip the paint off the walls.
She LOVES to laugh. EVERYTHING IS FUNNY IN LA LA LAND.

This is all when she is sober. It gets worse. Much, much worse...

Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I don't like my husband's friends. To me, they are all alcoholics. Those aren't the type of people I like in my company. So, he goes out with his friends and I go out with mine. We never all get together. I think to myself sometimes, we are missing out on something. I would like to all get together for a cookout or something, but it always leads to problems. They don't know when to wrap it up when the party is over and they never contribute for parties. (food, drinks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships