Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I wish you clowns would just shut up and leave if you're not going to say anything intelligent.

Phil
IQ:178

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM

650 posts, read 1,206,948 times
I think that most loneliness suffered by those on the ends of the IQ spectrum isn't related to their intelligence at all, but coincidental.

Take Aspergers' folks for instance (such as two of my nephews): their social challenges and their intelligence are both caused by their condition; one doesn't cause the other.

In my own experience, our own perception of our intelligence -- good or bad -- is a social life's worst enemy. Low self-esteem can be just as off-putting as arrogance.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
Before I stopped working when the kids came along, I worked at a school for bright kids with severe dyslexia. Most of these kids, even with the dyslexia bringing down some of the subtest scores in the standard IQ tests, were, at the genius level. But many of them had nearly non-existent social skills. They were, many of them, unable to understand social cues and would stand way too close or laugh inappropriately or get overly angry at something very small. Many had trouble figuring out how to make friends and keep them. They could tell you how, in fine detail, how to build a cantilever bridge, but didn't know how to make any kind of small talk at all. Because I worked with the younger kids, I never saw them when they got to the dating stage, but I can imagine that some of them would have a significantly more difficult time than others. And it wasn't their intelligence because they were among the most intelligent kids I had ever worked with.

One of our jobs as teachers at that school was to help the students with their social skills. The had two recesses per day for 30 minutes in length. The purpose was so the kids had free social time to play, make friends, and just be kids. All the teachers were on duty at different places on the campus to help out any situations that might arise. We worked hard to help the kids understand how to make friends and talk to people because it didnt' come naturally to many of them.

I've often wondered how many of my former students are. I know one is an accountant and another is a teacher at the school where I used to teach. None of my former students is married yet. And I know they DO get married because dyslexia is somewhat an inherited issue - many of the parents were also dyslexic and many severely lacked social skills themselves! Not to say that ALL dyslexic people have social issues becuase I met many who were exceptionally personable, and were, in fact, gifted siocially. But many were not.

For myself, I've never been lonely and, at one point in my life (prior to kids,) my IQ was tested at 138. Whoever said it has more to do with EQ, I agree.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Before I stopped working when the kids came along, I worked at a school for bright kids with severe dyslexia. Most of these kids, even with the dyslexia bringing down some of the subtest scores in the standard IQ tests, were, at the genius level. But many of them had nearly non-existent social skills. They were, many of them, unable to understand social cues and would stand way too close or laugh inappropriately or get overly angry at something very small. Many had trouble figuring out how to make friends and keep them. They could tell you how, in fine detail, how to build a cantilever bridge, but didn't know how to make any kind of small talk at all. Because I worked with the younger kids, I never saw them when they got to the dating stage, but I can imagine that some of them would have a significantly more difficult time than others. And it wasn't their intelligence because they were among the most intelligent kids I had ever worked with.

One of our jobs as teachers at that school was to help the students with their social skills. The had two recesses per day for 30 minutes in length. The purpose was so the kids had free social time to play, make friends, and just be kids. All the teachers were on duty at different places on the campus to help out any situations that might arise. We worked hard to help the kids understand how to make friends and talk to people because it didnt' come naturally to many of them.

I've often wondered how many of my former students are. I know one is an accountant and another is a teacher at the school where I used to teach. None of my former students is married yet. And I know they DO get married because dyslexia is somewhat an inherited issue - many of the parents were also dyslexic and many severely lacked social skills themselves! Not to say that ALL dyslexic people have social issues becuase I met many who were exceptionally personable, and were, in fact, gifted siocially. But many were not.

For myself, I've never been lonely and, at one point in my life (prior to kids,) my IQ was tested at 138. Whoever said it has more to do with EQ, I agree.
That was me

Yep, it's all about EQ folks.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
what I tell my kids is that all any test measures is how well a person can take that particular test on a given day. I discourage them from placing too much weight on ANY test measurement of any kind, including IQ, including grades, including GPA.

It used to drive my ex-husband nuts that (a) my IQ was higher than his and (b) i wouldn't tell him what it was and also (c) that i said it was a meaningless measure.

I encourage my children that what is most valuable is a good heart, kindness, respect, courtesy. I want them to live happy lives with fulfilling relationships. No test can measure or improve that in any regard.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I'm just curious about extremes and how they may adversely affect people socially. I know those at the level of retardation have trouble interacting and wonder if the other end of the spectrum feel isolated too. At an average I.Q. of around 90 I think it would only stand to reason that those in the above ranges wish from time to time that they could scrape above the eyelid and enjoy the level of acceptance average people enjoy.
My IQ is about 135, I can't remember exactly as the tests were so long ago. Anyway, I get along with all types of people, but prefer to be with other thinkers. I don't think that I am lonelier for being smart, if anything, I am more comfortable being alone than my dumber or more average friends. My dumber and average IQ friends seem to need the company of others more, are not smart about who they pick as their friends, and also have a greater need to party regularly in order to feel that their life is fun and full or meaning.

Being smart, I also seem to be a luckier person as I have commonsense and avoid the usual problems with life that dumber people have. I think that they could easily avoid their problems if they thought more about their actions before doing them.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Not sure what my IQ is. I'm assuming normal. However, I like to keep up to date on current events and such everyday. SO whenever I had a conversation with a guy, they were like "wow your pretty smart and can carry a conversation". I guess they wanted/expected a bimbo???

Old 07-07-2008, 05:09 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My dumber and average IQ friends seem to need the company of others more, are not smart about who they pick as their friends, and also have a greater need to party regularly in order to feel that their life is fun and full or meaning.
Definition of the term "sheeple".

Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Not sure what my IQ is. I'm assuming normal. However, I like to keep up to date on current events and such everyday. SO whenever I had a conversation with a guy, they were like "wow your pretty smart and can carry a conversation". I guess they wanted/expected a bimbo???
Unfortunately it's a difficult concept for most guys to wrap their heads around that a dancer can have a superior mind.

Makes me ashamed to be a guy sometimes.

...but only sometimes...

Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
Eh...maybe. My IQ is about 154, and I am a huge introvert.
Maybe those with higher IQ's prefer to stay home and read as opposed to going out drinking with friends whose IQ isn't quite as high?
Just a theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships