Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

Just curious what others think of this.

I know a couple that is just a really odd pairing. The wife has a Master's in Social Work and is very much what you'd call an "intellectual". She keeps up with current events, reads all the time, has a strong political involvement locally, is into artsy fartsy things..

Husband is a high school dropout which means nothing in and of itself (I am one for that matter)... but he is, oh how can I put this without offending? Well he's just kind of slow. I wonder how she can carry on much of a conversation with him... it's not a lack of "book smarts". He has no interests outside of watching wrestling and drinking beer, and what some would call "low brow" humor/sitcoms/comedians. He doesn't watch the news, read the paper, or have any idea what's going on with the world unless his wife fills him in. He seems to lack ambition, content in his production job. I honestly don't think he'd be capable of grasping much of anything beyond 10th grade level learning.

The things they do together are simple, like watching an action flick, going out dancing, or taking their kid to the park. She has this whole other social existence that doesn't involve him to feed her need for art shows and activism and so forth.

I know that sounds horribly mean and I'm not trying to put this guy down... people are what they are and it doesn't make them "good" or "bad". I'm just wondering about the strange match with these two. They seem quite happy and he's a very NICE guy and a good husband and father. They also seem to have a very strong "chemistry" and sexual attraction.

I'm just curious though, is that enough for a long lasting marriage?

Anyone have experiences to comment on this either way?

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 07-09-2008 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
That's odd. I read, somewhere long ago, that husbands and wives are usually within 5 IQ points of each other. I would find that paring odd.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
Well, my boyfriend and I have many differences in our education levels. I am a college graduate, and he, in fact, did drop out of high school. We never have an issue finding things to talk about though. He is very intelligent, and knows much more than me about certain topics. I believe that we complement each other quite well. Our differences benefit both of us, and enrich our relationship, in my opinion.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's odd. I read, somewhere long ago, that husbands and wives are usually within 5 IQ points of each other. I would find that paring odd.
Actually, it's not that odd. It was explained in a book I'd recommend - Amazon.com: Will Our Love Last?: A Couple's Road Map: Sam R. Hamburg, Sam R. Hamburg PH.D.: Books

First off, the author's idea is that compatibility is most important and no amount of "communication" can keep non-compatible people together. I believe in that. He's talking about 3 dimensions of compatibility: practical, sex, and wavelength. It may surprise many, but a lot of marriages survive on only practical or sexual compatibility. Out of the 2-dimensional ones, practical/sex compatibility accounts for the most common successful marriages, particularly when the partner longing for more in the lacking (wavelength) area can find fulfillment in his/her own activities and relations outside of the marriage.

What may come as the biggest surprise is that compatibility on the practical level appears to be the biggest deal-breaker - yeah, those stupid, mundane things like who eats what, who goes to bed at what time, and numerous others at first sight minor daily activities. Those tend to irritate people the most as they happen most often.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

I know a couple that is just a really odd pairing. The wife has a Master's in Social Work and is very much what you'd call an "intellectual". She keeps up with current events, reads all the time, has a strong political involvement locally, is into artsy fartsy things..

Husband is a high school dropout which means nothing in and of itself (I am one for that matter)... but he is, oh how can I put this without offending? Well he's just kind of slow. I wonder how she can carry on much of a conversation with him... it's not a lack of "book smarts". He has no interests outside of watching wrestling and drinking beer, and what some would call "low brow" humor/sitcoms/comedians. He doesn't watch the news, read the paper, or have any idea what's going on with the world unless his wife fills him in. He seems to lack ambition, content in his production job. I honestly don't think he'd be capable of grasping much of anything beyond 10th grade level learning.

The things they do together are simple, like watching an action flick, going out dancing, or taking their kid to the park. She has this whole other social existence that doesn't involve him to feed her need for art shows and activism and so forth.

I know that sounds horribly mean and I'm not trying to put this guy down... people are what they are and it doesn't make them "good" or "bad". I'm just wondering about the strange match with these two. They seem quite happy and he's a very NICE guy and a good husband and father. They also seem to have a very strong "chemistry" and sexual attraction.

Whatever works. It does seem a little odd, but hey life is a strange mystery at times. I once had a very intelligent supervisor I worked for. Smart man, knew how to sit in a meeting and absolutely run it, and he wasn't even in charge! He's the kind of guy that could solve problems and make you think you came up with the idea. I don't mean that in a swarmy kind of way.

But when it came to relationships, he picked the biggest train wrecks of women you could imagine. So, I guess if they work more power to them.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Education means absolutely nothing to me when it comes to dating. However, if she is really "slow," it's not going to work. I don't have much patience for "slow" people.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:

Clearly, you are describing a man with great unseen talents... And by great unseen talents, I mean an epic johnson.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I've read that as well. It makes sense that the human pair-bonding process would result in a distribution with tolerances that close. If someone doesn't stimulate you conversationally when you first meet or impress you as either an intellectual peer or superior, what are the chances that you will wind up married? It seems that the only logical conclusion is that she met his epic johnson before she met his brain.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Actually I feel sorry for the lady. She's caught up in a world of illusion and fantasy, while her husband is grounded in the real world.

Formal education means nothing, nor does affectation of culture.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I've read that as well. It makes sense that the human pair-bonding process would result in a distribution with tolerances that close. If someone doesn't stimulate you conversationally when you first meet or impress you as either an intellectual peer or superior, what are the chances that you will wind up married? It seems that the only logical conclusion is that she met his epic johnson before she met his brain.
Or, perhaps, that he did stimulate her intellectually, in a way that she had not previously known? Maybe she is into literature, while he is into graphic design (or some such field that she is not well-versed in).

Being stimulated conversationally, to me, also means learning new things about that person, and new things about yourself.

To me, that is interesting, stimulating, and gratifying.

Oh...also... A COMPLETE TURN-ON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships