Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

This is the impression I get. In a lot of films etc (I KNOW it's not real life, but obviously it has some BASIS in real life or else these enduring stereotypes would not persist) but ALSO in real life situations, it seems the wife, girlfriend is telling her husband not to be so silly, is not amused by his joke...like she always has to play the 'straight' role...I know exceptions to this rule, of course, and know that in real life things aren't like that as much as in TV-land, but why is that the case?

I mean I thought women were supposed to be the less 'grounded' ones if you believe psychology. Like ironically they are stable, that while men act like children women are supposed to act like stern school-teachers. It really gets to me. That's why women are seen as having a sense of humour...

I see women act like children as often as men. Giggling, screeching, pouting, sulking - men do that too (less so the giggling bit) but sometime I saw packs of grown men and women and they remind me of chimpanzees. Ditto when it's a mixed sex group.

But yeah, have you noticed this? That men are always given crap about acting like children and women sometimes use this to put them down, as if they're inferior beings, like grown up children? I don't think women lack a sense of humour at all, so is it the stern mothering instinct? Like treating her SO like her child in a way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
My mom and some other women did say to me you don't want a husband, it's like having another child.

Joking aside everyone is different. And some can turn the immaturity on and off. Some can't.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I've noticed it in a LOT in commercials, absolutely. And I've known couples in real life where the guy is always joking around and cutting up, and the woman isn't amused by it and acts like she's his parent. But in the commercials the man is often portrayed not only as childish, but also a bumbling nitwit in every facet. The "childish" men I've known in real life weren't especially dumb, they just liked to joke all the time. And the women weren't always reprimanding them like children, either, but it was definitely often. It's like those commercials are more of a gross exaggeration of some real life couples (imagine that).

I have to wonder if it all started with "The Honeymooners" television show.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
My mom and some other women did say to me you don't want a husband, it's like having another child.

Joking aside everyone is different. And some can turn the immaturity on and off. Some can't.
I think it's just different the way men and women relate, so they perceive things differently. Maybe men, not having as big of a child-rearing role, actually are more in touch with their inner child. But on the other hand grown women can act like the child while the man is expected to grow up. I think we're basically the same, which is why this stereotype annoys me. We never fully lose touch with some childish impulses - I find it kind of heart-warming actually to see an old person be cheeky in a good-humoured way, it shows they still have that youthful streak of mischief.

Ironically sometimes I feel more serious minded than a lot of women I know. But than they be crazy, haha.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Yes. Men are heavily portrayed in an immature manner in commercials and the women look disgusted.

I've encountered a lot more immature people than the men.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've noticed it in a LOT in commercials, absolutely. And I've known couples in real life where the guy is always joking around and cutting up, and the woman isn't amused by it and acts like she's his parent. But in the commercials the man is often portrayed not only as childish, but also a bumbling nitwit in every facet. The "childish" men I've known in real life weren't especially dumb, they just liked to joke all the time. And the women weren't always reprimanding them like children, either, but it was definitely often. It's like those commercials are more of a gross exaggeration of some real life couples (imagine that).

I have to wonder if it all started with "The Honeymooners" television show.
It's annoying. Some men definitely DO go too far, and it would get annoying, but some women need to loosen up and not be concerned with being sensible and 'respectable' all the time. What's wrong with the occasionally practical joke? Or the occasional horsing around? A man should no when to stop...Like I said I think it's sort of a stereotype that gets ingrained into real life.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Being immature is periodically ok, as long as you can snap out of it in an instant, as appropriate, and get to work.

I'd say that some co-workers have not liked me for being less uptight than they are, yet I was more competent than they were in some cases. My sense of humor is irreverent. I can't help it. I'm from LA, where people called it as they see it. I understand it has gotten more politically correct.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is the impression I get. In a lot of films etc (I KNOW it's not real life, but obviously it has some BASIS in real life or else these enduring stereotypes would not persist) but ALSO in real life situations, it seems the wife, girlfriend is telling her husband not to be so silly, is not amused by his joke...like she always has to play the 'straight' role...I know exceptions to this rule, of course, and know that in real life things aren't like that as much as in TV-land, but why is that the case?

I mean I thought women were supposed to be the less 'grounded' ones if you believe psychology. Like ironically they are stable, that while men act like children women are supposed to act like stern school-teachers. It really gets to me. That's why women are seen as having a sense of humour...

I see women act like children as often as men. Giggling, screeching, pouting, sulking - men do that too (less so the giggling bit) but sometime I saw packs of grown men and women and they remind me of chimpanzees. Ditto when it's a mixed sex group.

But yeah, have you noticed this? That men are always given crap about acting like children and women sometimes use this to put them down, as if they're inferior beings, like grown up children? I don't think women lack a sense of humour at all, so is it the stern mothering instinct? Like treating her SO like her child in a way?
Are you venting, married, divorced, single, have an SO? From whose experiences do you speak from?

Relationships are as individual as each person. What you call crazy is someone elses sane.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I think it does not matter if it is men or women, when jokesters continue to treat everything as a joke all the time and don't know when to be serious that is an issue. On the other side is when the serious can't lighten up and not be so serious all the time, another issue. There has to be balance.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Being immature is periodically ok, as long as you can snap out of it in an instant, as appropriate, and get to work.

I'd say that some co-workers have not liked me for being less uptight than they are, yet I was more competent than they were in some cases. My sense of humor is irreverent. I can't help it. I'm from LA, where people called it as they see it. I understand it has gotten more politically correct.
And women haven't been portrayed as purely sexual objects?

People. Try and become more than the media stereotypes.... please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships