Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 PM

23 posts, read 81,710 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what, if anything, should a guy bring on a first date? I realize every situation is different so here are the details of this one:

I have been talking to a girl that I found online who seems amazingly similar to me and to what I have been looking for my whole life. And when I say that, I mean better than probably anything I have been involved with in the past as far as compatibility. We are both in our lower 30's but we have yet to meet. I certainly don't want to count my chickens before they hatch (meaning have too high of hopes and everything turns out only mediocre) but I have a different feeling about this one that it could really be something good.

What do I bring? I don't want to go overboard bringing 50 roses..lol..as thats a little ridiculous and out of place for a first date. But I don't want to do just nothing. We both seem to have a good solid upbringing/background and I don't know if doing something formal, or something simple, or something 'cute' or 'nice' or what?

- Guys, have good luck with anything in particular?

- Ladies, have any ideas that you would have liked a guy to bring or do that might make you melt a little?

Thanks!

Last edited by 3pointone4; 07-24-2008 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,029,521 times
You're a treasure! I like you!

You want her to know you think she's special, and you want her to realize she's never met anyone like you... You don't want formal, but you do want sweet, lovely, small, elegant, unusual -- right? -- which will tell her YOU are sweet, elegant, gentle.

Adult women LOVE receiving flowers from men! I would suggest a small amount, like a small handful, of an unusual flower, like a little hand-held bunch of violets, or white or yellow fresia, or many-colored cornflowers or sweetpeas. Especially if you can find something in HER favorite color(s). Is this sounding ooooooohy? Well, I'm a romantic woman, and if a man brought to me a little nosegay or little bouquet of unusual little flowers like those, I'd grin and hug him instantly! And she can press one or two of those flowers in a book and save them forever...

If you want her to "melt", then you don't want anything "practical" like a candle, or anything she might not want like chocolates. You want something magical... A small garden faerie perhaps? This lady is very fortunate to know you.

Both the nosegays pictured below (click on image to enlarge) are too much, too full, but you get the idea -- smaller, and held in the hand, or can be rested on a table while you two eat dinner.
Nosegay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
What does a guy bring on a first date? (flowers or ?)-nosegay.jpg   What does a guy bring on a first date? (flowers or ?)-nosegay2.jpg  

Last edited by allforcats; 07-25-2008 at 12:12 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,422,953 times
A nice, little bouquet of peonies would make me melt a little. I think it's a sweet gesture.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:07 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,282,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pointone4 View Post

- Ladies, have any ideas that you would have liked a guy to bring or do that might make you melt a little?

Thanks!
My current boyfriend brought me a DVD of R Kelly's concert because I'd mentioned earlier how upset I was that I wasn't able to go. I was so excited I asked if we could skip the movie and just watch the DVD. It was huge to me because it showed that he listened to what I was saying and because he hates R Kelly.

But if it was a first date and we didn't know each other beforehand; I'm more partial to silly things or knick knacks. I still have this little magnet a boy gave me in high school that said "excuses to end a bad date" I like guys with a sense of humor but I'm not big on flowers - they make me think of funerals.

Since you've been talking online I say you should buy something that makes you think of her - but it doesn't have to be really elaborate. In fact simplicity sometimes goes a long way.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,363,760 times
Money...

I kid. Flowers are classic.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 AM

702 posts, read 2,286,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post

Adult women LOVE receiving flowers from men!
Sigh. I thought this type of thinking was only on television and in the movies. Perhaps I'm alone here.

If someone gave me flowers I'd be pissed because I think flowers are much more beautiful in their natural, living state. Picked flowers die within days. What a waste.

How about just showing up and acting like a real person? Why should you feel obligated to bring any sort of offering? The best gift is if you both hit it off and enjoy spending time together, no?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 AM

874 posts, read 3,668,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Sigh. I thought this type of thinking was only on television and in the movies. Perhaps I'm alone here.

If someone gave me flowers I'd be pissed because I think flowers are much more beautiful in their natural, living state. Picked flowers die within days. What a waste.

How about just showing up and acting like a real person? Why should you feel obligated to bring any sort of offering? The best gift is if you both hit it off and enjoy spending time together, no?
Surely OP isnt obligated, but dam it is a nice gesture..no?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:42 AM

874 posts, read 3,668,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pointone4 View Post
I was wondering what, if anything, should a guy bring on a first date? I realize every situation is different so here are the details of this one:

I have been talking to a girl that I found online who seems amazingly similar to me and to what I have been looking for my whole life. And when I say that, I mean better than probably anything I have been involved with in the past as far as compatibility. We are both in our lower 30's but we have yet to meet. I certainly don't want to count my chickens before they hatch (meaning have too high of hopes and everything turns out only mediocre) but I have a different feeling about this one that it could really be something good.

What do I bring? I don't want to go overboard bringing 50 roses..lol..as thats a little ridiculous and out of place for a first date. But I don't want to do just nothing. We both seem to have a good solid upbringing/background and I don't know if doing something formal, or something simple, or something 'cute' or 'nice' or what?

- Guys, have good luck with anything in particular?

Thanks!
You seem to be a sweetheart..yes, flowers are nice..I'm sure whatever type you buy for her, she'll like them. Guys like you are so rare. I've been with my partner for 16 years now and he still buys me Orchids..I love them.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,360,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post

I agree with this. I am an adult woman and I really do not care to receive flowers at all. I really hate the generalization that all women love to receive flowers.

To the OP, if you have been talking to her, you may have a better grasp on what her likes/dislikes are.

I don't really see the need to bring any sort of gift. It is a nice gesture, but if I were to receive something from someone I never met, I would feel really odd about it.

Just one woman's perspective though.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,203,417 times
A large bulge in your pants and wallet, a good smile and full head of hair, and a body that is athletic enough to carry her out of the building should the place go up in flames. Screw the flowers, save the expensive s**t for later in the relationship when you have to apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships