Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,674,099 times

Advertisements

I always find it entertaining to listen to my guy friends talk about the kind of woman they would date. It's especially funny when they talk about looks and being in shape. For example, a lot of guys say they would never date a woman if her stomach isn't perfectly flat and I can't help but laugh because most of these guys don't have perfectly flat stomachs either. So I was curious to hear from people about the kinds of standards they have for a partner that they themselves don't live up to. Or vice versa, what standards do you think get applied to you that the person judging you doesn't live up to? It doesn't have to be just about looks and I'm really hoping this thread doesn't turn into one about the double standards applied to women, even though there's no question they exist. Do people even realize how hypocritical they can be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,878,538 times
From what I've seen on television and I what I've heard from women, it goes to show that there's hardly any good women these days. They're desperate, demeaning, and disgraced.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM

658 posts, read 834,815 times
Can't help you there. I require my wife to stay small and hard, and I lead the way by doing it first.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 AM

36,823 posts, read 31,102,861 times
I guess I have fairly low standards. LOL. The only thing that comes to mind is that I expect or want my partner to be able to fix things and I dont have the same ability.

I have know people like you described. Ive listen to guys at work talk about not dating a woman that drank, smoked or was at all over weight, comming from guys with bear guts and butt cracks showing. I knew a woman who wouldnt data any guy that didnt have an expensive car and money. She had neither.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,469,278 times
I long gave up on judging anyone by a standard which I couldn't maintain. That's not to say I don't like a good-looking, little hard-body, but I'm not basing my opinion of someone solely on that. I've had men judge me on my looks, while they had nothing to offer in that department. Now, c'mon, how are you going to tell me that I don't fit your criteria of hotness, while carrying around that big ol' beer belly? *lol*

Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,322,151 times
I'm stubborn and stubborn people drive me nuts! However, I'm drawn to them as a moth to a flame...

Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,940,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I always find it entertaining to listen to my guy friends talk about the kind of woman they would date. It's especially funny when they talk about looks and being in shape. For example, a lot of guys say they would never date a woman if her stomach isn't perfectly flat and I can't help but laugh because most of these guys don't have perfectly flat stomachs either. So I was curious to hear from people about the kinds of standards they have for a partner that they themselves don't live up to. Or vice versa, what standards do you think get applied to you that the person judging you doesn't live up to? It doesn't have to be just about looks and I'm really hoping this thread doesn't turn into one about the double standards applied to women, even though there's no question they exist. Do people even realize how hypocritical they can be?
Standards, standards we don't need no stinkin standards. I, if anything had my standards to low if you know what I mean.

I've been known to say in the past that "Fat girls need lovin too"

Old 08-08-2008, 02:51 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,186,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I set standards for no one and I accept standards from no one . Of course I greatly respect the opinions of those I love but they love me for who I am and I am who I am because I choose to be that way. Isn't that the whole point of dating and eventually marrying the right person for you? I don't think that snatching the first girl or guy I see and then trying to impose my standards onto them is the right way to do it.......

Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,674,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I don't think that snatching the first girl or guy I see and then trying to impose my standards onto them is the right way to do it.......
You're not imposing them, but you are holding them up to them. Think about your friends. You except your friends to be honest with you. But what if you lie to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships