Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:56 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,629,620 times

Advertisements

I mentioned about just my wife & I going for the weekend. Well, it's now down to one night. To go somewhere nice would be a 5hr drive, malls and sit down restaurants. Total time= 10hr drive'n time, 3-4hrs in a mall, 1.5+hrs at restaurant, sleep, get up and head home(drive incl. in drive'n time).

10hrs drive'n, 6hrs of mall and meal. I don't think it is worth it, she does. I think she wants to go "just to go". We could drive 1hr, movie, and be back home w/out a motel. And yes, by this time I know what will happen in the motel..........sleep and that is it.

Would you want to drive 10 for 6?.........and a motel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,484,500 times
I don't care to spend 1 hour in a mall....

Old 07-31-2008, 01:00 PM

22,839 posts, read 19,445,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
. I don't think it is worth it, she does. I think she wants to go "just to go".
the key phrase here is what she wants and it is worth it to her

so if you decide not to go it is basically saying to her what she wants does not matter and is unimportant, and you are dismissing it and her as not worthy

it's not about logic

i have no idea if this post or decision relates to a celebration, or her picking something fun to do on a date, or what. Only you know the big picture of the relationship and what this date is about, and what led up to it, both this night out, and all the other leisure or date time you have together. Sometimes it's not what you do on the date, but letting someone pick and doing something to please them.

if you're always the one that picks where to go and what to do, she could be ticked off (and with good reason). if you're always dismissing her ideas as not making sense, ditto. if it's your birthday and your celebration then you picking makes sense. so it's not about this one decision it's about the relationship and all the other times too and what it means to each of you.

one of the best dates i ever went on was when someone said to me, "you pick where we go" and we did. It wasn't about whether we got pizza or went to the beach, it was about me getting to pick and this person in effect saying, "It is important to me to please you and do something you want" and that spoke VOLUMES to me, the person's willingness and thoughtfulness to ask, to listen, and then to follow through and do.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-31-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,356,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

so if you decide not to go it is basically saying to her what she wants does not matter and is unimportant, and you are dismissing it

it's not about logic

i have no idea if this post or decision relates to a celebration, or her picking something fun to do on a date, or what. Only you know the big picture of the relationship and what this date is about, and what led up to it, both this night out, and all the other leisure or date time you have together. Sometimes it's not what you do on the date, but letting someone pick and doing something to please them.
I don't find it worthwhile and wouldn't do it myself, but I'm with DimSum, I guess...

Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,605,573 times
you drive out, let her drive back

Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,949,479 times
Sometimes, a relationship requires sacrifices for the other person. You may not want to do it, but she would very much like to.
Make the sacrifice and do it with love in your heart (not resentment) and you'll see a very nice reward... a happy wife. And happy wives are the best kind of wives.

Make her feel special.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:08 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,239,127 times
Quote:
I mentioned about just my wife & I going for the weekend. Well, it's now down to one night. To go somewhere nice would be a 5hr drive, malls and sit down restaurants. Total time= 10hr drive'n time, 3-4hrs in a mall, 1.5+hrs at restaurant, sleep, get up and head home(drive incl. in drive'n time).

10hrs drive'n, 6hrs of mall and meal. I don't think it is worth it, she does. I think she wants to go "just to go". We could drive 1hr, movie, and be back home w/out a motel. And yes, by this time I know what will happen in the motel..........sleep and that is it.

Would you want to drive 10 for 6?.........and a motel?
If your wife would like to get away for an overnight trip, can you do something to make it more exciting? Like drive and surprise her with a nicer hotel. Or with a spa session or something really nice and special.

Or if what she wants to do is shop, are there any malls closer to where you live? I guess I'm confused as to why you have to drive so far just to go to a mall?

Do something more exciting for your wife - make a bit of effort and be gracious about it!

Good luck and enjoy yourself as well - sometimes it is fun just to get away.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,629,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

so if you decide not to go it is basically saying to her what she wants does not matter and is unimportant, and you are dismissing it and her as not worthy

it's not about logic

Very good point. Dang! I was wrong again.

I suppose I should get a room w/a little "hot tub" in it too, huh? Bubble bath stuff, too I suppose.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,356,556 times
Quote:
Very good point. Dang! I was wrong again.

I suppose I should get a room w/a little "hot tub" in it too, huh? Bubble bath stuff, too I suppose.
See? You're picking up speed fast! I knew you were a good guy!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM

36,867 posts, read 31,153,091 times
Sound like a trip from hell to me, but dim is right. Your going because its what she wants. If it makes your feel better, I hang out in greasy garages swilling beer with his friends and watch Walker Texas Ranger, because thats what he wants to do. Im sure he would drive 5 hrs to take me to a mall if thats what I wanted to do. Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships