Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 PM

378 posts, read 337,416 times

Advertisements

My husband and I met through an on-line dating site back in November 2002 and were married in 2004. We actually started talking about marriage within four months of knowing each other, which was quite unusual for the both of us, being cautious individuals by nature. The compatibility and chemistry, however, was something that we couldn't ignore. I don't remember the name of the site, but if I did, I would send them a 'thank you' note!

I also met one of my best friends through a social networking site (actually a few years before meeting my husband.) I don't believe meeting someone on line has the same negative connotations as in the past. It really just increase your opportunity of meeting more people with whom you may have things in common. Of course, it can also increase the number of scaries that you come into contact with, but if you use the same common sense that you would use in the "real world", you should be fine (i.e., if the little voice in the back of your head tells you that they seem crazy, dishonest, creepy, they probably are.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
I've met a LOT of people on all the free dating sites!
Some I've known for over a year now & visited twice. (They live in other states)
Lots of great sex partners, lots of friends, (good friends ) lots of great kinky text partners - those are always fun (& hot!) even if you don't meet...
And if all fails, there's some serious eye candy on those sites!
YUMMMM!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:48 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,125 times
I think talking online is okay, but after awhile, it is just not really having communication. It is a cheap and lazy way for someone to know someone.
No one spends any money, you don't have to get dressed up...
I have heard of people having online relationships and I think it is a penpal thing.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:53 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs5mz2 View Post
That is very true.

Even if the person does post a picture there is no real guarantee that picture is really that person.
also true but do you really wanna talk to someone with no pic just to find out they are a troll?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,578 times
I know some people have had bad experiences with online dating sites and I also know that it is true that there are some weird people out there, however, I also know some people who have had bad experiences with blind dates, meeting someone at a club or just out at the supermarket. There are weird people in the world in general and they are not all limited to or found on the internet.

Having said that, I had never tried an online dating site until nearly a year ago. I went on eHarmony but was disappointed when their announcements of "view your online matches for free" totally meant just view. You can not communicate with any of them without paying for the subscription. I was not that interested in paying to meet someone so I was looking around for other sites. I came across ChristianCafe and they offered a totally full membership with a 10 day free trial. I figured I'd have nothing to lose and tried it out.

Well on the first day of my being there I ended up meeting the man that would become my husband. After about a week of talking online and on the phone we met in person and to be completely honest with you... there was no lying about appearances, personality, values, beliefs, nothing. By the time we met in person, we sort of already knew there was a special connection between us and pretty much knew we were "it" for each other. Meeting was just like icing on the cake.

After 10 months of dating and surviving a long distance relationship where we only got to see each other on weekends, we were at the altar saying our "I Do's". We have now been married 2 months.

Like I said, it may not be for everyone, you may go through some bad experiences, but it does work out for some and you can have an amazing experience through it. It worked out for me and my husband and as you can see through some of the other posts in this thread and other similar threads, it has worked out for others as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
I think it's more socially accepted now than it was a few years ago.....I actually know a few ppl who it's worked out for.....one of my co-workers just married her "online sweetie". Depends though.....you have to be really careful that's for sure......

Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I think it's more socially accepted now than it was a few years ago.....I actually know a few ppl who it's worked out for.....one of my co-workers just married her "online sweetie". Depends though.....you have to be really careful that's for sure......
Very true... My parents JUST found out how I met my husband about four months ago LOL They wouldn't have liked him if they knew... I would tell my sister or my BFF where I was going, Called when I GOT there and I would call on my way back to the car to let her know I was leaving and would stay on the phone until I got going... I never gave them my home phone number or my address... I would always meet in a public place and park near the entrance... making sure it was a busy entrance... I never went to the restroom and left myfood or drink on the table... I would finish my meal it prior to or oder another one. Just use your head

Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
It's something I've thought about trying, I'm recently single (28/F) after a 5 year relationship, in a new city. I don't like to meet guys at bars. I go to bars/clubs to hang out with friends and not get picked up on.

I really don't meet new people outside of work or through my friends, so figure what the heck? I am kind of cautious though, since this is something I've never done before!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
I met my ex online, but that's not why he is the ex. I think the mistake was trying to have a long distance relationship (I was in San Antonio, he was in Dallas) because it was way too easy for him to hide his true self and just be sneaky in general. Meanwhile I thought I "knew" him from spending every weekend together. Not so. To avoid getting into the whole story, let's just say he was hiding a LOT.

So anyway, I think the problem was the distance, not the online thing. If I were to try and meet someone online I would not keep it online for long and I would make sure they were LOCAL.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:10 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I met my ex online, but that's not why he is the ex. I think the mistake was trying to have a long distance relationship (I was in San Antonio, he was in Dallas) because it was way too easy for him to hide his true self and just be sneaky in general. Meanwhile I thought I "knew" him from spending every weekend together. Not so. To avoid getting into the whole story, let's just say he was hiding a LOT.

So anyway, I think the problem was the distance, not the online thing. If I were to try and meet someone online I would not keep it online for long and I would make sure they were LOCAL.
For Sure keep it local... My hubby lived 10 minutes from me... you can place a distance that you are willing to date.. I think I put like 20 miles in my criteria... I wasn't going to do a long distance online relationship... that is a lot of work and I dont' really see the benefit of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships