Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:12 PM

180 posts, read 621,429 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Removed per author's request

Last edited by Marka; 04-15-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 06:26 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
I'm sorry . He can't just unplug and expect you to stay......I would definitly suggest marriage counseling....if he won't go then you go. At least then you will be able to say that you really tried.....Marriage is 100/100 and sorry if I sound corney but it really is give and take.....can't be one sided and both need to be fully plugged in. Compromise is a two way street anything less is a recipie for disaster.....work on him with the counseling thing......best of luck to you, it's hard,,,, I know....

Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM

47 posts, read 122,019 times
My parents sound something like that. But my parents refuse to get divorced. My dad gives my mom 10 dollars a day for groceries....because he says "If I give you enough money for the whole week everyone will eat too much just because its there" He flips out sometimes if she doesnt bring back change : 0 She waits on him hand and foot. He yells from his office (not working, playing games) "I need milk!!!" and if she doesnt bring it right away "HEY!!! Im still waiting for my milk!!!!!!" I personally couldnt stand that. He makes good money when he works but he says he doesnt like working which is why he lives on ten dollars a day....and thats for 5 people. My mom mows an acre yard by herself while my dad waves from the window. The kids use to help out but now with us gone, we have told her to tell him to sell the land and get a smaller place. This probably seems like it has nothing to do with your situation but everyone has a breaking point. I think if i was in my moms position i would have left my dad a long time ago. Theyve been married 26 years and hes never even remembered their anniversary once. If she does mention divorce, he threatens with suicide. I say you try to get counseling.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
MOM!!! MEATLOAF!!!!

The last post made me think of that, sorry.

For both of you, that is terrible. For the OP, it may be time to move on. The controlling part is a sign of worse things to come

Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Hmmm, seriously this may be hard to see, but it APPEARS that the guy has his heart in the right place but is poor at expressing and explaining himself.

Not sure if that's a deal-breaker or not really.... As a man the part that bugs me is that it seems he's unwilling to listen to you and have a conversation. Marriages like this either break down over time or last forever with the woman in partial misery from what I can tell because the man has some sort of "plan" but refuses to let his wife in on what that plan IS...

He's forgotten the "partnership" aspect of marriage... Obviously the guy is stressed but try reminding him that you are on his side through all of this and him verbally beating on you isn't helpful...

Instead of threatening divorce or discussing going to marriage counseling try explaining this to him: That you are trying to be supportive but need to be let "in" as to what is going on. Are you tight on money??? Or is he saving a bunch of money so you all will have a comfortable retirement or something???

Bottom line is it seems like he's stressed and trying to balance out a LOT of ***** at the moment..... If you haven't already do your DAMNDEST to get on the same page with him...... His plans aren't diabolical and evil I'm guessing. I'll bet he's looking out for you all and trying to provide but him shutting you out in the process isn't the right way to go..

Good luck...

Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,182 times
Threaten his a-s. Sorry, I'm in a punchy mood tonight, but tell him that he can either go to counseling with you or expect a dissolution of the marriage.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times
I think if money is an issue then you should get a job.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:45 AM

126 posts, read 260,640 times
Why are you chauffering him around if he makes such great money? Doesn't he drive? Doesn't he have a car? Did I miss something?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
If I were you I would have a serious sit down with him. Expose all of your concerns and ask him what he intends to do to address them. If this doen't work then I suggest a marriage counselor. And if this doesn't work then consider your other options.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
You sound young and you were probably not ready for all of this. Why did you get married so soon when he had someone else pregnant? You should leave him, go to school and get a decent job. You will be self sufficient and will not have to rely on a man for help. Plus, the stress from the other family is not worth staying around. I would definitely leave that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships