Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBoi View Post
Couldnt agree more. Think aboout it:

NAME 3 prmetime TV show, or Blockbuster movie where an Asian American male is portrayed in a positve way.
There's also that Asian actor John Cho that is in the Harold and Kumar movies and occasionally guests on Ugly Betty.

Again, I don't think that Hollywood is suppressing any Asian actors so much as there needs to be talented male Asian actors for them to hire. I'm not saying that Asian can't act, but that acting is not something that young Asian American males want to do. Why don't you go into acting?

And I do remember many years ago, Jackie Chan was interested in making American movies and was looking for good scripts to showcase his talent. He was offering a finders fee for a good script. Ultimately he is held back by the way he speaks English. So far, he's only been in American comedy movies and never been a leading man in a straight film. He knows what his strengths are. Plus he prefers making movies in Asia with his own stuntmen and film talent.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:22 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBoi View Post
Saving face is good INDEPENDENT movie, Thge talent is there why doesnt Hollywood give Asian-Americans the chance to portray 3-dimension characters if they are good?
So go write some screenplays with strong Asian American leads yourself. You can't just sit on your butt whining about what Hollywood isn't making for you. And women complain about the lack of movies with strong female leads too, and they have for decades.

Hollywood is big business. It costs so many millions to make an A movie that they aren't going to gamble on scripts that are iffy. So they turn to best selling books for inspiration or they remake some older movie that worked before. They have to hire some A list actors to help with the box office draw. So add in a few more tens of millions of dollars into the film's budget.

I loved Saving Face, but the storyline wasn't strong enough to make it an A movie and the kind of movie that gets nationwide major screen opening nights. But it was cool that Will Smith's production company was involved with it.

Anyway, go write the movie script then act in it. You can do what Sylvester Stallone did with his Rocky movie 32 years ago.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,477 times
that's not the real reason... the real reason is Asian women have self-hatred or issues or assummed for their own ethnicity. they are insecure about being asian, be it Filipino, japanese, korean. they see whites as better or being of higher social status. they think dating or marry a white guy will boast their own status.. it's called marrying up. That's the REAL reason and the truth. but no asian will ever admit it.

don't believe me? Look them in the eyes and ask them about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
You want to know one of the reasons why those Asian women that you spoke of have reverse racism towards Asian men, and therefore, not want to date "within their kind"?

I can speak on this topic myself because I am one. So, if anyone is to question the validity of what I'm about to say, well, I can say that I have validity because I am part Asian.

ONE of the reasons why these Asian women have reverse racism is because the Asian men that they grew up with, or the Asian men that they know, are disrespectful towards women, especially towards Asian women. These Asian women have experienced being subject of such treatment as "women should stay at home and not have a career" mentality, and they have also either witnessed, experienced (or both) the Asian men in their lives as controlling.

Therefore, some Asian women look outside their race to find love. I myself, am happy to date someone outside my race.

Another reason that I can think of is because some Asian women want to "improve their offsprings", whether it be lookwise, etc.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:07 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
I still see a lot more Asian female Black male couples here in Los Angeles. They seem to outnumber the Asian female/white male couple 3 to 1 here. Maybe its different in other parts of the country, but here thats how it is.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
dont know why asian women marry white males, i did see previous posts with some explanations. i know why white guys would want to marry asian girls, they are pretty and nice to be around. you dont have to be white to like asian girls, i likem too and im non white.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-16-2008 at 11:56 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 07:12 AM

333 posts, read 999,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I still see a lot more Asian female Black male couples here in Los Angeles. They seem to outnumber the Asian female/white male couple 3 to 1 here. Maybe its different in other parts of the country, but here thats how it is.
That's funny because I rarely see a black male with an Asian female in my neck of the woods.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwc2008 View Post
that's not the real reason... the real reason is Asian women have self-hatred or issues or assummed for their own ethnicity. they are insecure about being asian, be it Filipino, japanese, korean. they see whites as better or being of higher social status. they think dating or marry a white guy will boast their own status.. it's called marrying up. That's the REAL reason and the truth. but no asian will ever admit it.

don't believe me? Look them in the eyes and ask them about this.
I have to agree w/ this statement about Asian Women (particularly those on the East Coast and Northeast). Maybe the "non-affectionate, abusive Asian man" excuse could be the reason in their native countries, but where I live, Asian dudes are the least likely to be abusive than men from any other races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Well you just gave me a bit more comfort about (at least) visiting LA. I'll admit that originally, I pictured modern-day LA for blacks as them being forced out of the area while harped on constantly for the '92 riots and being targeted for pseudo-genocide by Hispanics. Now nevertheless, in reference to living there, that's still a big question mark for other reasons unrelated to the topic of this thread but are commonly discussed nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs5mz2 View Post
That's funny because I rarely see a black male with an Asian female in my neck of the woods.
I live in Maryland and attend its university, and the way how Asian women are and the difference between how they treat and white men and black men (even the non-stereotypical black dudes), I'm not surprised about that in this craphole of a state.

At least in most of Northern Virginia, the ratio of White Male/Asian Women to Black Male/Asian Women is an even 1:1, or at the least is compensated by Black Men/White Women pairs.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Back to the OP ....

there really AREN'T that many. It's someone's selective perception.

Most people date and marry within their own "check the box" race/color. I see a lot more Hispanic/white, but the term "Hispanic" is tricky - some of them are clearly European Spaniards whose parents settled in Latin America, yet they are able to "check a box" because the box was designed to avoid discrimination against the indigenous populations in Central and South America.

You don't see that many White/Asian and you dont' see that many White/Black but, when you do see them, you notice them.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 AM

63 posts, read 426,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Not at all true. I have yet to find a "submissive" asian woman. In my experience this is a media stereotype which evaporates with the first actual meaningful contact with a flesh-and-blood woman.
Thats exactgly my point. White men like Asin women, because THE MEDIA portrays them as submissive, this doesntmean Asian women ARE submissive.

Quote:
Likewise, the "pre-feminist" nonsense is just an agenda-driven smokescreen. Asian women--meaning foreign-born--are just as assertive of their rights as their American counterparts. I've often found that they will stand their ground and continue to argue their point when an American women might normally give up in disgust and walk away.
Again, I said media portrays them this way.

Quote:
If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that these names are picked by Asian children when they are in their early foreign-language classes, and only see actual use in America. No foreign-born Asian goes by the name "Jessica" in their home country. Americans who bother to learn a foreign language will go by a similiar moniker in a land where their name does not translate well into the native tongue. This has nothing to do with "white-worship".

Then I guess yu haven't been to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia.

MTV Asia VJ Hunt

half the cast are either American born or half white/asian

http://www.mtvphil.com/uploads/image...J-hunt-Pic.jpg

There is def. White worship/ Asian inferiorty complex among Asian-Americans and Asians.

Quote:
This is true. Racism against dark skin is prevalent in many Asian cultures. The standard of beauty in countries like China, Taiwan, and Japan is to be as pale as possible. Tanning for beauty is almost unheard-of.
How is this not white worship?

Quote:
90% of all statistics are worthless. Especially ones you pull out of your ass like that.
True, but why do Asians (both men/ women) wanna date white, BUT not black?

White = upgrading social status
Black = down grading social status

conclusion: White- Worship

Quote:
Anyone with foreign travel and experience is treated "better" in their home country. If I speak flawless French to an American, or show off my Mandarin or Swahili, I will be admired here in the US. The same is true for traveled and learned asians.
Sounds political correct, HOWEVER if a Chinese-Amercan goes back to Hong Kong and he speak FLUENT Vietnamese, you think te locals would be impressed, they be like wtf, speak chinese. But if you speak English, they envy you. hey think your educated, rich whateva.

This is the colonial mentality.

Quote:
ABC's (and others) often recognize that they have a much easier time than do foreign-born Asians, they acknowledge that their grade-school level schooling is inferior, and that their advantages are simply by birthright rather than any doing of their own--in opposition to the case with immigrants.

Add to this the cultural faux-pas and accents of immigrants and you give the AB's a good excuse and outlet for their vague but persistant feeling of inferority to their 1st generation immigrant peers and ancestors.
ok, makes sense.

Quote:
A gap-toothed doughy English or Frenchman who can't make it with the town hottie at home can pick up a relative bombshell in the right places in the US with his "sexy" foreign accent. Unless there is some remarkable aspect to the foreigner's personality, an ONS is about the extent of such relationships.
lol, so William Hung can pick up girls in hollywood????

A gap toothed French man wont get white girls in America, maybe asian gils, I would liketo argue that the gap toothed britis and Frnech guy can get wa more women in Asia.

Quote:
I doubt you'll find many relationships of any racial flavor where the girl is not interested in the guy.
Yea but the point that the sole reson they ARE iterested in the guy, ause he;s white.

Have you been to Thailand? oh, wait poor country rigt?

Have you been to Tokyo?

Quote:
While I do not know of any interracial marriages with a 30-year dispersion between mates, I do know of servicemen who met their spouses overseas. They are quite aware of the stereotypes people like you insist on perpetrating, and have worked hard to overcome them and myriad other prejudices and difficulties faced by interracial couples.
lol, think bout it. Your going to Vietnam to kill the enemy. All these racial slurs were made during the war. G00ks, J@ps etc.

How it's not like you're going down town in the weekend and pick up a girl who doesnt speak English.

Were did he meet his spouse? At the univeristy campus, libary or in a BROTHEL.

It just doesnt make sense to me.

Quote:
What simple-minded bigots fail to realize is that the majority of marriages take place between two individuals who feel happy and complete together. Interracial relationships of any flavor are inherrently more difficult in the long-and-short term for both sides of the couple, as well as their families and friends.

So the next time you see a interracial couple of any mixture, if you look down your nose at them, think twice about giving voice to whatever snide and ignorant comment is running through your head, or you may find yourself looking down a much more crooked proboscious in the future.

I'm just saying that many Asian girls marry white men, is because they feel insecure. They dont wanan be asociated with the negative Asian stereotypes we see on TV.

They think by marrying a white person it will upgrade their social status and to benefit from wite privilege.

Asian men, basically wanna dat white women to "revenge" and to "win".

its white worship.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Did you read all the thread? Learn to read and comprehend. It's fine if you're not interested in your own culture/background but don't disparage your own heritage under the pretense of assimilation.
Oh thank you Soju for the encouragement to better myself by learning to read . Who said anything about disparaging the culture your people came from? I'm proud of my European roots (faults and all) but that doesn't mean I derive my identity and sense of self from them like too many ethnic immigrants of today. That is why I applauded Miu, because she is fully assimilated.
America has historically been a melting pot-and I'm all for that. But too much of retaining of home cultures is making the U.S. a tossed salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships