Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM

403 posts, read 1,580,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Do they have a hard time accepting that these aren't the 50's anymore. One does not have to marry right out of high school anymore.
Personally I think it's better when people get their lives together first and become more adjusted adults before they make a lifelong commitment.
i agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
i agree!
Me too!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
I don't plan on getting married or having kids. I prefer being alone at the moment but when I am 30 I might join a small commune.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM

47 posts, read 122,058 times
All my friends got married while still in college at 20. Some at 21 with two or three kids already. To each his own, it just sucks I have no one to go out with because they are all occupied with family life. One of my friends has already gotten a divorce. I think people feel like they should be married right after college. I myself see no point in raising kids while I'm still teaching myself to grow up.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
I'm a 27 year old guy with a family history of bad marriages (my mom, sister and aunt were all twice divorced. My grandparents had an awful marriage) So while everyone was hooking up in college I said "Hell no!! I'm living my own life!" Even though I was attracted to women, I had no interest in tying myself down to what could become a bad marriage. I didn't even date until a year ago, despite many potential love interests.

Since my friends have gotten married though, I've slowly changed my mind. I've seen vastly more marriages that work, and I see the fulfilling potential of marriage and family, and realize that I want to spend my life with some lovely woman. And yes, kids are expensive, but I still want to be a dad. And I'd like to have grandchildren to spoil someday too

I've sometimes sweated when I thought about the big 3-0 myself, but then I realize it's not such a bad idea. I'm EXTREMELY careful with women, and marriage is not a decision to take lightly. I may not get married till 40 (I REALLY hope not!) but if I do, I know it'll be to the right woman.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
Why are people who aren't married by the time they're 30 considered gay or people tell them they're going to be lonely later on in life...This seems like something that everyone would have believed in the 1950s but it's still going on today, and even the women on Sex and the City got married at the end of the show.
It really depends on who you ask. What I've found is that it's a generational thing. Older people think like this, but younger people don't. These days, it's common for people to postpone getting married til they're in their 30s, for a number of reasons. They spend more time in school. They spend more time getting established in their careers, which might require frequent moves each time they have to change jobs. They come out of school with more debt that they'd like to pay off before getting married. Plus, and I hate to say this, but a lot of people just aren't done growing up until they hit 30.

I've seen people who were obsessed with getting married before turning 30. So they ended up settling and marrying someone just because he or she happen to be the likeliest prospect at the time. Then you got people who've reached their 30s and are now headed for divorce.

As for Sex and the City ending with marriage, it's a TV show. The audience expects a happy ending and the writers gave it to them.

Speaking as a never-married male in his 30s who's not gay, I can say exactly why I've never been married. I just haven't met the right girl yet. Sometimes, it really is that simple.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Gay men are notorious for not wanting to be committed in relationships with anyone....another reason is because it is strange for a straight man not to committ to a woman by the age of 30. So he either is GAY, closet gay, closet bisexual, narcissistic, or cannot find a good partner (I've heard horror stories about abusive women).

Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
I'm 29, never been married and no kids.
I don't see the rush in getting married- to me marriage is a one time thing and should be taken seriously. To many people marry to quickly and then end up in divorce.
I want to get married someday but I don't want kids.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:30 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
More power to ya. I wish younger women thought like you. 100 of me, and I'll be okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I don't see the rush in getting married- to me marriage is a one time thing and should be taken seriously. To many people marry to quickly and then end up in divorce.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I never understood the whole concept of find the one, marry the one, have kids with the one, then never communicate or spend time with the one for the next 18+ yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships