U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM
 
Location: LA
63 posts, read 411,824 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
Why are people who aren't married by the time they're 30 considered gay or people tell them they're going to be lonely later on in life. I know most people are married with babies when they're 30 maybe this has something to do with it, if we do what everybody else does were considered normal or something. This seems like something that everyone would have believed in the 1950s but it's still going on today, and even the women on Sex and the City got married at the end of the show. I heard that Paula Deen's son was gay because he's in his late 30s and he is still single and not a father yet.

But the real question I'm asking is are we supposed to end up married with babies and a job and a home to call our own? And why are people considered gay if they're not married by a certain age?

because you gay...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
259 posts, read 609,843 times
Reputation: 118
Thats ridiculous. Its different times today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 AM
 
8,519 posts, read 14,348,396 times
Reputation: 7665
I think part of it is that people often look for a reason to look down on others. In this case, if someone's married and they meet someone who isn't and judges them for it, it's almost like they're saying, "Ha ha. I'm married and you're not. I must be a better catch than you." They need to find something wrong with you to explain why you're still single.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM
 
Location: NEW JERSEY
859 posts, read 3,143,447 times
Reputation: 521
I would like to know who is calling you gay for being 30 and unmarried?

In the NYC area, it is almost the norm to wait until 30-ish to get married.

I think there are many reasons people may want to marry at 30 or even later: persuit of higher education, work on their career, travel the world...or maybe even simply because they don't find the one right away.

You can accomplish a lot in yours 20s...and then marry when you're 30 and still have plenty of time for the kids and picket fence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Long Island
444 posts, read 975,430 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post
All my friends got married while still in college at 20. Some at 21 with two or three kids already. To each his own, it just sucks I have no one to go out with because they are all occupied with family life. One of my friends has already gotten a divorce. I think people feel like they should be married right after college. I myself see no point in raising kids while I'm still teaching myself to grow up.

I totally agree with you. Most of my frinds are amrried and a couple of them are getting married in October. She said she didn't want to get married any later than 30 years old. She just turned 30 in May. I also have some friends who had babies and didn't realize how hard it was to raise a kid. Of cousres they don't regret it but they do agree is was rushed into. I am not ready for either. I want to live life a little more and have fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,308 posts, read 36,258,501 times
Reputation: 7130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
Why are people who aren't married by the time they're 30 considered gay or people tell them they're going to be lonely later on in life. I know most people are married with babies when they're 30 maybe this has something to do with it, if we do what everybody else does were considered normal or something. This seems like something that everyone would have believed in the 1950s but it's still going on today, and even the women on Sex and the City got married at the end of the show. I heard that Paula Deen's son was gay because he's in his late 30s and he is still single and not a father yet.

But the real question I'm asking is are we supposed to end up married with babies and a job and a home to call our own? And why are people considered gay if they're not married by a certain age?
I don't know what rock you're living under, but why do you think people who are over 30 and unmarried are considered gay? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If that is the case, then there are innumerable presumably gay men all around me. I must be swimming in homos every day and playing poker, drinking and joining fantasy football leagues with nothing but gays. If you can quit whining about how you are subject to ridicule and discrimination because you haven't pulled the matrimonial trigger and spit out some babies and judging the "breeders" for their judgmental nature long enough to disengage the recto-cranial interface, you might realize that people think you're gay for some other reason.

For example, I think Paula Dean's son is presumed to be gay NOT because he's in his late thirties and unmarried, but because he is exceptionally well dressed, does not even know how to prepare a decent white gravy, always wants to cook healthy dishes without any butter and he sleeps with men. Quit watching the food network so much; people will think you're gay.

And I want everyone (you know who you are) to quit bitching about how hard it is to find "CHILD FREE" dating partners. If you just date without saying something crazy up front like "I only want to date someone who knows for certain that she never wants to have children", you may find that your dating pool just increased by 85%. Why don't you just tell someone you are a bi-polar psychotic and you only want someone who can deal with your escapades for extended periods? You can adopt any attitude, any belief, or any ethic that pleases you and you can say absolutely anything that you want but don't be surprised when people judge you for the same.

I have to go, Throwdown with Bobby Flay is coming on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
 
72 posts, read 210,798 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBoi View Post
because you gay...
No I'm not, and I'm getting married to my boyfriend of 2 years in October.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
 
72 posts, read 210,798 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I would like to know who is calling you gay for being 30 and unmarried?

In the NYC area, it is almost the norm to wait until 30-ish to get married.

I think there are many reasons people may want to marry at 30 or even later: persuit of higher education, work on their career, travel the world...or maybe even simply because they don't find the one right away.

You can accomplish a lot in yours 20s...and then marry when you're 30 and still have plenty of time for the kids and picket fence.
Not me, my cousin and one of my friends, whose 35 have been questioned why they're not married. It's probably is normal to get married in NYC at age 30 because it's a more urban city, and a lot of big cities have single people and people who marry late(Sex and the City).

If you go onto google and type in Bobby Deen gay, there's a lot of post saying and asking if Bobby Deen is gay, but I know he isn't though, he's cute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 PM
 
14,743 posts, read 30,380,661 times
Reputation: 8861
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think part of it is that people often look for a reason to look down on others. In this case, if someone's married and they meet someone who isn't and judges them for it, it's almost like they're saying, "Ha ha. I'm married and you're not. I must be a better catch than you." They need to find something wrong with you to explain why you're still single.
Rep point for you! This is probably the smartest post on this thread for as concise as it is.

Sure, some married people roll with it, but an awful lot of them are, as you say, condescending to singles above 35, plus or minus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there...
3,663 posts, read 7,991,260 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Because some people are ignorant. People don't have to be married and have little brats if they don't want to. There's some people who marry when they're in their mid 30s or 40s. I think its better if people born after 1985 get married and never have children.
Why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top