Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,659,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthga View Post
Serious question from a white women's perspective.

I have seen white, hispanic, asian, and native american women. Who date or only date black dudes. 75% of the time they date a dark brown or darkskin black male and not a lightskin male. I have several puerto rican, flipino, japanese, italian, columbian, and white girlfriends. And almost all their black boyfriends, or husbands are darker brown skin.

On the flip side, Most white, hispanic, and asian guys. When they name black girls they're attracted to. It's halle berry, beyonce, mariah carey, or vanessa williams are beautiful and pretty. Basically never a darkskin black women but always lighter skin.

Why the double standard when it comes to beauty? Why are men allowed to be darker but not women.

I'm a white women who mostly like's brown skin or darker skin black males. Even though i think Chris brown is a cutie.
This is really a pretty narrow scope for examination of a broad topic. What's going on in US Weekly is not what's going on in our culture.

Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Mariah Carey, Beyonce Knowles, etc. are certainly beautiful women, but I don't think that a semi-tabloid or MTV is a very good measuring stick for what the American core thinks, does, or for that matter is.

Don't forget Naomi Campbell, Vivica Fox, Whitney Houston (back in the day), Jada Fire, Cinnabunz or those identical twins (you know who I'm talking about).

Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 AM

275 posts, read 685,569 times
leave the black woman alone, all i read is a lot of stereo types and negativity towards black women.My mum is black and so is my sister...My cousins are attracted to both white and black guys and they dark, if it where for the media propective then my relatives might not fit in because they seem to find light skined black women as altenative. for example beyonce or gabriel union...the media would rather pick beyonce, why? because she ha a weave on to signify caucasian hair, light skinned i mean nearly everything about her has the features of what the public is looking for

Dark skinned signifies self empowerment. it has a dark naturism in a sense that it doesn't give a good picture for a woman to look dark. Dark women are beautiful and their color is deep in complexion it glows depending on how good you take care of it.

our diverse structure of living brings a lot of negative views not only to dark skin women but to black people ourselves we can't commune like the jews, the asians and the indians but we always fighting about our race, government and as well as blaming someone as an excuse to our unsettlement living

Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 AM

4,405 posts, read 9,087,180 times
The attraction of black men is largely a result of the popularity of hip hop/rap and the proliferation of wb/upn sitcoms which negatively stereotype blacks. However, this exposure as negative as it may be is very impressionable to suburban white woman who wish to live on the wild side as a way to rebel against their societal norms.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
BTW one of my favorite black models is Alek Wek. She has extremely dark skin.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 AM

456 posts, read 1,392,119 times
Stereotypes of beauty are socially constructed and represented by the media and popular culture. In real life beauty is far more diverse. So, generalizations will not be true in every case. I am a Black woman (brownskinned with natural hair), and I date all the way across the racial or cultural spectrum here in NYC and beyond. I don't think I am an exception to the rule; I just think that in my life the rule is not real. Many find me attractive; some do not or cannot. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Regionality may also be an issue here. What is considered beautiful in Hollywood may not be considered beautiful elsewhere. What is considered beautiful in NYC may not be considered beautiful in Hollywood. What is considered beautiful in the East Village or Alphabet City may not be considered beautiful on the Upper East Side.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:54 PM

50 posts, read 112,473 times
Yeah...I'm gonna need threads like this to stop existing.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:44 PM

378 posts, read 336,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetulantSoup View Post
Yeah...I'm gonna need threads like this to stop existing.
They won't, however. Unfortunately, this is too many people's idea of having a serious conversation about race.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,632,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by char65 View Post
They won't, however. Unfortunately, this is too many people's idea of having a serious conversation about race.
Funny that. I can feel myself losing a few more IQ points with every race thread I read on here.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,599,170 times
I think dark skinned black women are far more attractive than dark skinned black men.....for example, GRACE JONES!! IMO one of the most beautiful, and stunning women ever!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,695,165 times
You have to understand that black males date more interacially than black women and that white women date black men more than they date any non-white men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships