Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

I'm a male and for years, while being single and "LOOKING" pretty hard for "Mrs. Right", I dated a some ladies that smoked, drank to much at times, had kids, would swear too much......just had some bad habits (IMO) that I really didn't like. I really didn't like the smell or taste of cigarettes (during kissing, after sex or any other time), I didn't drink that much, I really didn't like being around little kids and I didn't say the "f" word (or other swearing) like some of them did, but I didn't say anything to the ladies b/c I WANTED a relationship.
It's pretty obvious that I was dating women that I shouldn't be, but when the word "desperation" sets in to a persons mind, well.........
I don't smoke, am only a casual drinker, have no tattoos or body piercings and swear very little........just what my "now" wife loves about me.
It just seems to me that there are a lot of ladies (perhaps men also) that think they have to "accept" certain things in order to form a relationship......is that you?
How well do you "evaluate" a man or woman before getting interested in them? Do you look for the aggressive/outgoing type or the quiet/reserved type?
Most of the time, I sure didn't follow "what I wanted" until I met my now wife who is really "what I wanted"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,846 times
As long as there's no shortage of desperate females seeking that perfect mr. right I think I'll get by somehow, someway. I have calmed down consideraly and if she want's to appear like a unicorn, or a chupacabra I'll marry her.Until then? There's a crap load of miss fun41nights out there!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
As soon as I stopped looking and started to live my own life, on my own terms, the right guy popped into my life. I had decided I wasn't going to "settle" so it probably wasn't going to happen for me. I just started improving myself and doing things that I enjoyed doing. If you're happy by/with yourself you're more attractive to others.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
I think that's why ppl should date more......before commiting. Yea, some of us (me included) got lucky and it worked out with one of our "firsts" however, in the interests of lowering divorce rates and lessening the emotional torture of today's society......date lots of ppl....date until you know and find exactly what fits you.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,846 times
Yesterday I double dated with a 23 yr old whose smokin hot, small, lean, hard bodied, beautiful face and we hit it off for the time being. There is already another date with her lined up.There really isn't a snowballs chance in hell this girl is right for me, but I'm having fun while she works out her need to hang out with her misconception of a mature older man! Hey maybe tho, who knows, I just know I LIKE THE ACTION! Now if I had committed to "settling" a while back, I would have missed out on that.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 AM

355 posts, read 1,376,579 times
Im not opposed to the occasional smoke or drink but if they drink all the time, then im not interested. Ive grown up with too many alcoholics and it isnt pretty. As long as he can make me laugh, and is ambitious then thats all i want. give me short and stout or tall or acne covered or whatever. But those two qualities are the most important to me. I dont want to end up with someone that ever makes excuses to accomplish nothing in life. thats all.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
How long does it take any of you to "evaluate" a person for possible dating/relationship? When I was single, I should have "evaluated" ladies a lot faster! But, to look at it now, I'm extremely glad that none of them worked out until I met my "now" wife.
Example: You are a lady who doesn't like smoking. You are single and doing some "looking" at a local club on a Saturday night. You see this guy who is nice looking, dressed nice and having a beer......then, all of a sudden, he pulls a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket and lights up. What do you think? Still interested? Or, do you know in your heart that you will sometime find this very same man, but who doesn't smoke?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Most of the time, I sure didn't follow "what I wanted" until I met my now wife who is really "what I wanted"!!
I'm pretty sure if you check all the preference boxes on the dating sites you'll end up with a result of zero. Your wife must be a special order.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Well, some posters are familiar with the Waiter Test. I've put it on here before. But it is the surefire test of character, determining with whom NOT to continue a relationship. It really weeds out the ***holes in a hurry.

Here goes:

On your third or fourth date, suggest an evening at a really nice restaurant. Not the first or second date, for that's when the other person will be on his or her best behavior. By the third date, that person is really beginning to be himself/herself.

Now. Watch carefully how your date treats the waiter. Why? Because, in six months, that's how he or she will be treating you.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm pretty sure if you check all the preference boxes on the dating sites you'll end up with a result of zero. Your wife must be a special order.
I ordered a wife one time on Ebay, but they sent her to the wrong address..

Actually, I've tried dating sites in the past but none of them really produced any candidates that I would consider a suitable spouse for me. But a couple of years ago, I did meet a wonderful woman through another local forum in Arizona. I actually met her at a get-together in June 2 years ago, with a bunch of other people. We spoke briefly before she left, then her and I met up again 6 months later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships