Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,933,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Thanks for the responses, all...At least I know i'm not crazy
Who said you were not...?! Just join the club!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM

303 posts, read 1,381,013 times
Quote:
What I mean is someone who you meet, let's say at work or other setting where you encounter the same people on a regular/constant basis. That person (female in my case) may be someone you don't notice at first, but over time, little things about them may become apparent, such as a physical attribute, character trait, etc.

Then BAM, one day, you are literally knocked off of your feet by them.

I do believe in "love at first sight", or lust, but anyone experience what I mentioned above?

Thanks for your input.
That's pretty much exactly how I fell for my x. We worked together in a very small setting. When I first laid eyes on him I found him very unattractive actually. I think it started with his sense of humor. After about a year there was quite a sexual attraction. Surprised the heck out of me!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,066 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, all...At least I know i'm not crazy
Nah, it happened like that for me too. Well, I thought my partner was "cute" at first, but not my type at all. The attraction built over time, getting to know each other..

Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,217,091 times
When I first met my husband, I didn't like him. I didn't like redheads but he grew on me, his personality, his wit, his humor and his intelligence won me over. He is the love of my life so yeah, I do believe in "gradual attraction"!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM

342 posts, read 1,826,833 times
It happens:
I was already in a serious relationship with someone when I met him. He asked me out once and I turned him down, and that was that. Remained friends/colleagues for two years and hung out in groups. Once I was single again (two years later!), we were out for lunch with a group of friends. We were all chatting away at an outdoor patio when he silently got up and walked away. The others didn't really take note, but I watched him walk over to this elderly woman who was having difficulty maneuvering her wheelchair-bound husband and helped her get him over the sidewalk curb. That definitely made an impression on me. A couple weeks later, we were swimming in a pool and he noticed a small child was struggling to swim across with his floatie, and helped him. That sort of attentiveness and subtle caring acts definitely made my heart melt. And he had an amazing sense of humor. We were together for a year.

Too bad he turned out to be a dishonest and fickle jerk in the end (that's another story), but those were his positive attributes. Can't win them all

But yes, gradual attraction does happen, and can be immensely rewarding.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
lol goes to show you can't be too trustworthy right away

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
It happens:
I was already in a serious relationship with someone when I met him. He asked me out once and I turned him down, and that was that. Remained friends/colleagues for two years and hung out in groups. Once I was single again (two years later!), we were out for lunch with a group of friends. We were all chatting away at an outdoor patio when he silently got up and walked away. The others didn't really take note, but I watched him walk over to this elderly woman who was having difficulty maneuvering her wheelchair-bound husband and helped her get him over the sidewalk curb. That definitely made an impression on me. A couple weeks later, we were swimming in a pool and he noticed a small child was struggling to swim across with his floatie, and helped him. That sort of attentiveness and subtle caring acts definitely made my heart melt. And he had an amazing sense of humor. We were together for a year.

Too bad he turned out to be a dishonest and fickle jerk in the end (that's another story), but those were his positive attributes. Can't win them all

But yes, gradual attraction does happen, and can be immensely rewarding.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:31 AM

193 posts, read 810,146 times
Sure I think it's possible, it's happened to me before, but I don't think it should necessarily be acted on. In all those instances when other things pop up such as something about their personality that I can't stand, my first impressions come back with a vengeance. In the most successful relationships I've had there was instant attraction at least on some level (not always physical).

On the other hand I've heard of plenty of people (usually older generations though) who's attraction grew from not much to a long standing, even life long relationship. But I think that's for those who believe love and attraction are purely chemical and not something key in a successful relationship.

Personally I'd rather hold out for instant attraction leading to life long love, even if it doesn't technically exist according to many .

Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,264,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So she had the face of a man?

Jesus H Christ!! You're too much.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 AM

333 posts, read 997,750 times
Of course this happens. People can "grow" on you over time. You discover something about them that either was not apparent at first, or they only reveal over time and then, as you say, BAM. Your smitten!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,132,897 times
Quote:
What I mean is someone who you meet, let's say at work or other setting where you encounter the same people on a regular/constant basis. That person (female in my case) may be someone you don't notice at first, but over time, little things about them may become apparent, such as a physical attribute, character trait, etc.

Then BAM, one day, you are literally knocked off of your feet by them.

I do believe in "love at first sight", or lust, but anyone experience what I mentioned above?

Thanks for your input.
Definitly for sure without a doubt.......it's happened to me quite a bit.......those make the strongest relationships too IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships