Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times

Advertisements

Well not exactly, my brother invited my father, mother and I to come up to WVA to help him construct another deck on the front of his home and he wants a roof over. I drew up the plans once earlier this week then called my father and got thumbs down, so I took his advice more so to keep him happy than because I agreed. There is no software that follows what I drew up next but as long as the 6x6 posts are set perfect it should work out fine.
We have never done anything like this for any family member so I'm thinking its sort of cool to have a working get together instead of our usual family gathering. I leave out Monday and will probably only be gone till Thursday if the weather holds out. His wife is a church goer so I'll try and keep the hammer away from my thumb...lol

Anyone else ever done anything like this or have advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Yep. My inlaws love doing those projects, particularly when a three-day weekend is coming up. Coming from a non-handy household, it was quite a shock. After all, it's not exactly my idea of fun.

That being said, it was pretty cool to learn how to use exotic tools I'd never heard of. So just go with a good attitude and treat it as an opportunity to learn something new.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Here's the first question that comes to mind: have any of you done construction work before?

The reason I ask is:

1) Are permits necessary where your bro is, or is it a bit off the beaten track?
2) How do you know your design will be safe and sound?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Here's the first question that comes to mind: have any of you done construction work before?

The reason I ask is:

1) Are permits necessary where your bro is, or is it a bit off the beaten track?
2) How do you know your design will be safe and sound?
Hahaha. Good points, Phil. My BIL built a deck without getting a building permit. Then when he had a renovation, the city inspector came out, noticed that the deck had been built without a permit, and forced my brother in law to tear it down and start over. I am really glad I was out of town that weekend.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hahaha. Good points, Phil. My BIL built a deck without getting a building permit. Then when he had a renovation, the city inspector came out, noticed that the deck had been built without a permit, and forced my brother in law to tear it down and start over. I am really glad I was out of town that weekend.
Same thing happened to me years ago - with a summer-kitchen renovation I was doing. That's why I asked.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Permits? they didn't have permits to set up stills where he lives so I'm not too worried...lol

Yes we have done construction work on prior projects of our own, excluding my brother of course that once took a hammer to the carburetor on my Dads truck because it wouldn't start one cold morning. Hes funny!

The first set of plans I drew up set the Lbs per Sq Ft at only 45. This is a beefier set up using 6x6 posts and 2x8 joists.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Permits? they didn't have permits to set up stills where he lives so I'm not too worried...lol
Point taken.

Quote:
Yes we have done construction work on prior projects of our own, excluding my brother of course that once took a hammer to the carburetor on my Dads truck because it wouldn't start one cold morning. Hes funny!
His only mistake in MY eyes was not using a big enough hammer!

Quote:
The first set of plans I drew up set the Lbs per Sq Ft at only 45. This is a beefier set up using 6x6 posts and 2x8 joists.
Heck, that's a lot more scientific than the way I did it - by guess and by golly, mostly. But experience was a good teacher...

Any bracing in the design?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM

We are lag bolting the deck into his home every foot and floating the 2x8's on a 4x10 beam. He should be able to have Queen Latifah's entire family in a hot tub setting on it.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
We are lag bolting the deck into his home every foot and floating the 2x8's on a 4x10 beam. He should be able to have Queen Latifah's entire family in a hot tub setting on it.
LMAO - I think that's a go!

As long as you're not using balsa wood, that is...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
just don't mess up or your in biiiiigggg trouble Mr.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships