Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,768 times

Advertisements

This is a question somewhat intended for gay and bisexual posters, but straight ones, also.

Do you find it off-putting when you encounter someone whose identity revolves around their sexual orientation? For example, you meet a lesbian who seems unable to have a discussion that doesn't eventually lead back to women and how attractive they are no matter what the subject, and rather than relating to a broad range of media, seems fixated on The L-Word, Xena, Melissa Etheridge, Ani DiFranco, Indigo Girls, lesbian coffee shops, etc. The person's other interests are secondary, if that, even, and everything takes a backseat because the person's orientation and sexual interests have to be broadcast constantly.

Or am I the only person who has encountered people like this? Sometimes, these people are young and dealing with coming out, and in those cases, I can understand where they're coming from--it's part of how one works through these things. But when you've gotten older, and you've been out and dating for years, wouldn't you no longer feel the need to remind everyone how gay you are? If you do need to do this so often, does it signify a hypersexual personality?

Tell me if I sound judgmental; I really don't mean to. I just don't see why people look at life that way--I'd rather not be in a relationship with someone who just wants to talk about being gay. Whether or not you're pursuing a relationship with the person, is that irritating?

Sorry...it was supposed to be one question but it wound up being a few.

Also, there are some grammatical issues with my thread title. I just had to own up to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
My former neighbor is a self proclaimed swinger and her husband is a sex addict and somehow EVERY conversation leads back to their private sex lives. It is so crazy. We have been talking about our childrens homework assignments and the conversation suddenly morphs into stories about their sex life. I don't get it...

Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My former neighbor is a self proclaimed swinger and her husband is a sex addict and somehow EVERY conversation leads back to their private sex lives. It is so crazy. We have been talking about our childrens homework assignments and the conversation suddenly morphs into stories about their sex life. I don't get it...
That's kinda creepy isn't it.

Children's homework assignments and swingers sex lives shouldn't be mentioned in the same state, little alone same paragraph.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That's kinda creepy isn't it.

Children's homework assignments and swingers sex lives shouldn't be mentioned in the same state, little alone same paragraph.
Seriously Chow, she is just freaky. She is just HIGHLY inappropriate...if I told you half of the cocktail party diatribes she performs you would be blushing and I would be banned from CD.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Seriously Chow, she is just freaky. She is just HIGHLY inappropriate...if I told you half of the cocktail party diatribes she performs you would be blushing and I would be banned from CD.
People constantly amaze me with how they talk about wildly inappropriate stuff. I'm not overly conservative or stuffy but jeez.

I really like to think that I have a good sense of humor but sometimes....

Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
People constantly amaze me with how they talk about wildly inappropriate stuff. I'm not overly conservative or stuffy but jeez.

I really like to think that I have a good sense of humor but sometimes....
Yeah, I don't really care how someone talks but she gets out of hand. The men just go gaga after a few drinks and her storytelling. If the creepy stories are taken out of the equation, she is a really great person.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 PM

378 posts, read 337,357 times
I find it very off-putting.

Someone specifically came to mind when I read your post. We became friends about 1/2 year before he came out. For the first few years, I supported his tendency to focus EVERYTHING around his new identity because I understood that he was still figuring out who he was. We eventually grew apart because I tired of everything centering around him being gay (any movie or play we see had to be centered around being gay, any clubs we went to had to be gay clubs, etc.) I understand that he was doing what many people do when they feel alienated from mainstream culture. When they find the place they belong, they grasp tightly to whatever trappings identified them with the group, their new family. Nevertheless, it got old after the second year. When he stopped growing as a well-rounded individual, so did our friendship.

On the other hand, I have another friend I've known over 20 years who gets mildly insulted when I compliment him on being pretty well balanced. I tell him he's gay like most people are straight: Sexuality comes up periodically in conversation (as it's apt to do with close friends, especially when one is single), but for the most part, our conversations goes into so many different directions that have nothing to do with whom we shares our beds.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't really care how someone talks but she gets out of hand. The men just go gaga after a few drinks and her storytelling. If the creepy stories are taken out of the equation, she is a really great person.
She sounds like she is looking for male attention. Especially if there is any sexuality to her stories.

Kinda sad.

She doesn't realize that there is more to her then that. She just doesn't know it.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
She sounds like she is looking for male attention. Especially if there is any sexuality to her stories.

Kinda sad.

She doesn't realize that there is more to her then that. She just doesn't know it.
She would probably cease to exist if her stories were not sexually driven...this is what defines her. I would hate to hear her versions of Aesops Fables to her kids

Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by char65 View Post
Nevertheless, it got old after the second year. When he stopped growing as a well-rounded individual, so did our friendship.
I can see how that would ruin it. I think, after doing that for awhile, the person can become just as narrow-minded and egocentric as the anti-gay people he or she would criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships