Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:19 AM

456 posts, read 1,392,951 times

Advertisements

You know... You flirt with each other. You are very affectionate with each other. You may even love each other to a degree. But for whatever reason, you will not cross that line.

What happened? What stopped you both from crossing that line?

I have three romantic friends, or sweet friends as I prefer to call them. One is a devout Muslim, one is a co-worker, and one has sworn to himself to never ever let another woman "control" him. This third guy calls me, romances me on the phone, comes to see me from time to time, etc. but then runs for the hills whenever things get too cozy between us.

Hmmm...

What's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,422,787 times
I would be asking what kind of signals are you sending to these guys especially the romantic guy. Have you talked with these gentleman and just come out and asked them what is up?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 AM

28,843 posts, read 30,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
You know... You flirt with each other. You are very affectionate with each other. You may even love each other to a degree. But for whatever reason, you will not cross that line.

What happened? What stopped you both from crossing that line?

I have three romantic friends, or sweet friends as I prefer to call them. One is a devout Muslim, one is a co-worker, and one has sworn to himself to never ever let another woman "control" him. This third guy calls me, romances me on the phone, comes to see me from time to time, etc. but then runs for the hills whenever things get too cozy between us.

Hmmm...

What's your story?
When I was in 5th grade, I saw my true love for the very first time. WOW! In 7th grade we had classes together and we became such good friends all the way up until 12th Grade. In 12th, we dated, but both mutually discussed what might happen to our friendship if we continued to date and then, broke up, cuz it didn't work out....so, we both decided not to date any more...and we each confessed to each other that we were attracted to each other. (boy, there were times I'd cry cause I loved him so much) Silly Girl! Anyway, we are still friends to this day...he is an awesome guy. Really Awesome, kind, compassionate, a really terrific guy. We have never even come close to sleeping together...he is a gentleman and the best man I've known all of my life.

I'm glad we never crossed the line. I love him with all my heart.

I think, when we have friends of a different gender, sometimes we love them so much, we decide we want to give them something so very special..."us" and confuse a very good friendship with a passionate love, and when it doesn't work out...we loose them as friends, which is very sad. So, make certain you are willing to risk that and what the consequences could be.

Creme

Old 08-29-2008, 08:24 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,272,471 times
Nope, but I had a friend with benefits.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM

456 posts, read 1,392,951 times
Hmmm... The "signals" are most definitely clear:

1) I am a Christian (progressive, mystical, spiritual, dechurched, but still...), and guy # 1 is a devout Muslim. The feelings are there, but the two belief systems don't mix and are not up for compromise or conversion.

2) I don't date coworkers. As one old sweet friend of mine once put it, "I don't eat my meat where I make my bread." Tacky statement, yes, but for me true. I have learned...

3) If a man comes out and tells me that he needs to be "free," I respect that, no matter how romantic he is. We have definitely talked about it. He has even expressed his feelings to me, including his jealousy; but he is unwilling to commit to even dating. He just goes with the flow. Which is fine by me. I actually like the romantic energy between us minus the drama or power struggles.

Not really in need of advice here. I just want to hear other people's stories, to know and understand the at times delicious, at times frustrating, experience of affectionate friendship, or unrequited love or attraction between friends.

As for the whole friends with benefits deal, I say live and let live. It's just not for me. Casual sex, in my experience, is an oxymoron. I only share that powerful energy within the context of a loving, committed, long-term relationship. Go figure...

Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 AM

23 posts, read 26,098 times
suppose you are married but meet your romantic friend of the opposite sex from your past and continue from where you left i.e you call each other, text, email, but are wondering if you can hold hands, hug & occasionally kiss but ofcourse wont cross the line coz you are both married, is this an affair or just a friendship you once had that has continued coz you've just met again? The chemistry between the two is quite irristible.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,569,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybabe View Post
suppose you are married but meet your romantic friend of the opposite sex from your past and continue from where you left i.e you call each other, text, email, but are wondering if you can hold hands, hug & occasionally kiss but ofcourse wont cross the line coz you are both married, is this an affair or just a friendship you once had that has continued coz you've just met again? The chemistry between the two is quite irristible.
Affair.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,392,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybabe View Post
If it isn't, it will be. Might as well succumb to the inevitable...

Ok seriously, if you truly love your husband and don't want a divorce, you should stop, right now. If you don't love your husband and are looking for a way out, you should tell him and save everyone a lot of heartache.

Biggest question ... got kids?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,706,085 times
Yep in the past. They rather flirt with you just for fun, when it's serious it becomes to much of a reality. They get scared. Heck it happens to the best of us.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,205,090 times
Never did but sometimes in the past I gave compliments to female platonic friends. Not really flirting but definitely not romantic/sensual/affectionate. I'm kind of all-or-nothing when it comes to affectionate things like hugs or whatever and there is a lot of potential to ruin friendships with an awkward wrong move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships