U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM

485 posts, read 1,737,512 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a huge increase in the number of door to door salespeople since the economy has crashed. I suspect that many of them were once working in regular jobs with an office and maybe even a secretary and a fancy title but now are forced to do something terrible like door to door sales.

(I have put this question on relationships because it is a personal interaction question.)

Are you friendly and polite to door to door salespeople, or do you feel it is your right to be aburpt and rude to them because you did not ask them to come to your door?

Have you noticed an increase in door to door sales in your neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM

13,779 posts, read 24,922,857 times
No, I do not answer the door anymore.

We had a few guys come by last spring telling me they were selling alarm systems and started asking me questions about my alarm system. I told them I would not answer those questions and then they started showing me pictures of different security control panels!

I asked them to leave, called the police and they were picked up. They were running a scam and breaking into folks homes!!

Seriously, I cannot get a door to door vacuum salesman, do you think I'm going to buy an alarm systemfrom some Joe Schmoe going door to door?

But, yes, we have had an increase, but I put a sign next to my doorbell "No Solicitations". They still ring, but I do not answer!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,783,065 times
I agree. We are in the country and at the end of a dirt road. If some stranger pulls in my driveway, I know they are lost or trying to sell me something. Either way, I will not open the door.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
miu

17,636 posts, read 37,312,754 times
I would never buy anything from a door-to-door salesperson. They never bother my house because it's difficult to find, but if one should knock on my door, I would tell them to go away immediately. My dogs wouldn't be very happy with the visitor either.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM

28,900 posts, read 50,219,099 times
Who on earth buys anything from a door-to-door sales person? Although I do remember, growing up, my mother buying something from a flirty Fuller Brush salesguy.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM

4,898 posts, read 17,490,419 times
we have gotten so many door to door "salespersons" if that is what you want to call them. so far i have seen only scammers with carpet spray bottles in their hands waving it around, we have had people trying to sell meat out of their truck--but actually casing the neighborhood and house. as if i would go and taste food out of a truck with no restaurant or shop logo...
i just answer the door, tell them i know what they are doing, threaten to call the police and shut the door in their face.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,914,835 times
We don't get any of them here because they would have to come in through a gate but it might be kind of funny to answer the door in something provocative and grab them saying.....Thank God Your Here!

Word could get out....lol

Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,769,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
We don't get any of them here because they would have to come in through a gate but it might be kind of funny to answer the door in something provocative and grab them saying.....Thank God Your Here!

Word could get out....lol
you mean your not suppose to put something provocative on and invite them inside

Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,914,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
you mean your not suppose to put something provocative on and invite them inside
lol

Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 AM

132 posts, read 430,573 times
I don't get salespeople, but I do get a lot of people politicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships