Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times

Advertisements

In 1929 a Hungarian author named Frigyes Karinthy published a series of short stories called "Everything Is Different". One of the stories was titled "Chains" and used the premise that because of increasing technology, people would in effect start to become "closer" to each other to the point where one person would be "related" or connected to another within 5 levels of acquaintances.

In the play "Six Degrees of Separation" there's a well-known monologue -

Quote:
"I read somewhere that everybody on this planet is separated by only six other people. Six degrees of separation between us and everyone else on this planet. The President of the United States, a gondolier in Venice, just fill in the names. I find that extremely comforting, that we're so close, but I also find it like Chinese water torture that we're so close because you have to find the right six people to make the connection. It's not just big names -- it's anyone. A native in a rain forest, a Tierra del Fuegan, an Eskimo. I am bound -- you are bound -- to everyone on this planet by a trail of six people. It's a profound thought -- how Paul found us, how to find the man whose son he claims to be, or perhaps is, although I doubt it. How everyone is a new door, opening into other worlds."
So, do you believe that this theory still holds up today? Do you think you could claim a connection with anyone in the world with at most only 6 people in between?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
After working on my families geneaology I will have to nod in the affirmative.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
It could very well be true. I have personal experience from my home country which happens to be small. Chances were always good while sitting on a bus or a train and talking with somebody to eventually find out you have acquaintances in common. My father routinely was listening to my mother's students complaining of her on the bus.

Gossip traveled real fast - no high-tech needed at all! It had some advantages, though - the possibility of being with a serial killer was slim to non-existent. Then again, we didn't/don't have serial killers...

It would be funny to find out there are people on this forum we actually know, wouldn't it! That's why I don't particularly like getting into too much detail as somebody who knows me is likely to recognize me by what I'm saying.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 PM

288 posts, read 656,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
In 1929 a Hungarian author named Frigyes Karinthy published a series of short stories called "Everything Is Different". One of the stories was titled "Chains" and used the premise that because of increasing technology, people would in effect start to become "closer" to each other to the point where one person would be "related" or connected to another within 5 levels of acquaintances.

In the play "Six Degrees of Separation" there's a well-known monologue -

So, do you believe that this theory still holds up today? Do you think you could claim a connection with anyone in the world with at most only 6 people in between?

I think that is very interesting...but where would you start? I guess i'm the blonde girl again, because I have no idea where to begin...lol.

I've heard of it, just wondering how it works.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It could very well be true. I have personal experience from my home country which happens to be small. Chances were always good while sitting on a bus or a train and talking with somebody to eventually find out you have acquaintances in common. My father routinely was listening to my mother's students complaining of her on the bus.

Gossip traveled real fast - no high-tech needed at all! It had some advantages, though - the possibility of being with a serial killer was slim to non-existent. Then again, we didn't/don't have serial killers...

It would be funny to find out there are people on this forum we actually know, wouldn't it! That's why I don't particularly like getting into too much detail as somebody who knows me is likely to recognize me by what I'm saying.
Where are you from, Sierra?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Where are you from, Sierra?
A small country in Europe.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
After working on my families geneaology I will have to nod in the affirmative.
Cool!

I just think it's neat that you could pick any two people - sometimes the famous / infamous ones are fun - and link them up. That should be a powerful weapon for politicos...

"It was revealed today in a White House press conference that George W. Bush is directly related to Dr. Hannibal Lechter..."

Or the televangelists...

"Oral Roberts today announced in his sermon that he is directly related to Peter the Apostle..."

Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
A small country in Europe.
Sorry, didn't mean to pry

Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Cool!

I just think it's neat that you could pick any two people - sometimes the famous / infamous ones are fun - and link them up. That should be a powerful weapon for politicos...

"It was revealed today in a White House press conference that George W. Bush is directly related to Dr. Hannibal Lechter..."

Or the televangelists...

"Oral Roberts today announced in his sermon that he is directly related to Peter the Apostle..."
Isn't Obama related to Cheney?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraaz View Post
that's why i don't particularly like getting into too much detail as somebody who knows me is likely to recognize me by what i'm saying.
mom!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships