U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:38 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,101,578 times

Advertisements

Recently, I had lunch w/ a coworker. He's been married for several years and he knows I'm just a casual dater and single. We got to the restaurant and he scoped out a good looking girl there. I acknowledged. She was with a large party - probably 8-10 people (mix of guys and gals).

It's a buffet-style restaurant, so we both went to the line to grab dessert as we were finishing our meal. They had pudding and he asked me what it was. I told him it was pudding, but he asked for confirmation at least 2-3 times, as if he couldn't hear me (it wasn't loud). Then I caught him glancing behind me and he saw that girl approaching the buffet line (my back was to her). He then asked her for confirmation, "This is pudding?" She gave him a funny look and nodded.

We both went back to our table to finish the meal. He said to me, "Man, I left the door wide open, and you totally missed it!" I was like WTF? Confirmation of "is this pudding" doesn't seem like an ideal pickup line. He said if he were still single, he would've been all over that. When prompted for details, he couldn't come up with any.

If the door was open, what should I have said to follow up on the pudding discussion? Or did my coworker just try to flatter himself so that he thinks he tried to introduce that chick to me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 PM

335 posts, read 1,066,770 times
He sounds like a loser. I would have gave him a look too. How can you not know what pudding looks like?? And how were you suppose to continue that conversation without looking stupid or obvious???

Old 09-05-2008, 02:49 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,508,351 times
I'd try to go back to that place without him. In fact, I recommend never going anywhere with him ever again.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 PM

4,589 posts, read 12,575,877 times
I like chocolate but yea....I agree....sounds sorta......creepy IMO

Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,101,578 times
Thanks for the replies. He's not a bad guy at all. I know he was trying to help me out. He was teasing me about it for the rest of the day at work. I mentioned to him that opening the door for me would've required a little more to work with.

I'm originally from NJ. If he somehow found out that she's from NJ as well and said to her, "My friend here is from NJ, too!" then that's called opening the door. Right?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 PM

288 posts, read 617,438 times
Nice guy for helping you out. Do you really need the help, though?

I agree with you...NJ probably would have opened then door, and no telling what else!!! lol.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM

16,224 posts, read 24,180,340 times
Next time, tell him to go over to her, and ask for her number! Bha ha ha

Old 09-05-2008, 03:10 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,802,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
If the door was open, what should I have said to follow up on the pudding discussion? Or did my coworker just try to flatter himself so that he thinks he tried to introduce that chick to me?
You could've said: This pudding doesn't look nearly as yummy as the sweet girl behind us!

Oh, that's what happens when I'm not around to teach ya...

Old 09-05-2008, 03:15 PM

14,685 posts, read 24,355,685 times
When he asked her "Is this pudding?" and she gave the weird look, you should have said to her, "I'm sorry miss, but pudding is the only dessert he gets to eat in the mental institution I work in - see if I ever try to sponsor him on another excursion outside of the compound." It helps if you roll your eyes, mocking indignation...and then flash a grin. If she doesn't smile back and/or laugh - she's a b**** and you're better off without her.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:20 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,802,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
When he asked her "Is this pudding?" and she gave the weird look, you should have said to her, "I'm sorry miss, but pudding is the only dessert he gets to eat in the mental institution I work in - see if I ever try to sponsor him on another excursion outside of the compound." It helps if you roll your eyes, mocking indignation...and then flash a grin. If she doesn't smile back and/or laugh - she's a b**** and you're better off without her.
That's a great idea, DontH8Me! Actually, better than mine. Mine kinda implies he's a "nice" guy while yours gives the naughty vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships