Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM

132 posts, read 463,745 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever fallen for the hard-to-get type, and gotten him or her? What happened after?

About 10 years ago, I fell for someone who was a challenge and lived about 90 minutes away. I thought I just HAD to have this person in my life and convinced him of the same. He moved to my city to pursue the great relationship I had envisioned, and within a month I broke up with him. He survived, but I've always felt a twinge of guilt about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,182,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Anyone ever fallen for the hard-to-get type, and gotten him or her? What happened after?

About 10 years ago, I fell for someone who was a challenge and lived about 90 minutes away. I thought I just HAD to have this person in my life and convinced him of the same. He moved to my city to pursue the great relationship I had envisioned, and within a month I broke up with him. He survived, but I've always felt a twinge of guilt about that.
Owch poor guy....

Yea, I did that a lot in HS.....I would have a serious crush on some guy but the second he showed any interest in me It was like a switch went off and my crush went away..... I blame it on fear of comittment, at the time. However, senior year rolls around....I grew up a bit and became the polar opposite of that... go figure right.....one extreeme to the next. I really do think ppl do that unintentionally as a sort of fear of commitment thing....we love to know we've still go it but that's about the extent of what we want

Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,656,202 times
I think we all often want what we think we can't have. It's the forbidden fruit, the Mt. Everest climb.

Then when we get it, we realize it was the journey and not the destination that was thrilling.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,182,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I think we all often want what we think we can't have. It's the forbidden fruit, the Mt. Everest climb.

Then when we get it, we realize it was the journey and not the destination that was thrilling.
what if it's not that at all? hu? what if we are scared that once we eat that fruit we won't be able to eat anything else? Or what if it's scary thinking that once we get to the top of Mt. Everest we may not ever be able to get down.....how bout that hu?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
what if it's not that at all? hu? what if we are scared that once we eat that fruit we won't be able to eat anything else? Or what if it's scary thinking that once we get to the top of Mt. Everest we may not ever be able to get down.....how bout that hu?

Those are certainly also possibilities, but I think they're quite a bit lower on the percentile chart than the basic instinct of the "hunt". It's one of the strongest motivators known to Man, and I think it often overshadows personal doubts and fears.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,298,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

No doubt. Probably more often than not it's a case of "count your blessing you didn't get it," which seems to be true when applied to many wishes and dreams of various nature that do come true.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 PM

371 posts, read 896,036 times
And the sci-fi geek comes to the surface:

Spock: "You may find that having,is not always as desirable,as wanting.
It is not logical,but it is often true."

Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
And the sci-fi geek comes to the surface:

Spock: "You may find that having,is not always as desirable,as wanting.
It is not logical,but it is often true."
Great quote!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,026,798 times
lol why did you play games?

I've never liked anybody that engaged me in "the chase" and I've never had people chase after me. I just let them know I like them and I give them orders on how his royal highness wishes to be treated.

Quote:
Owch poor guy....

Yea, I did that a lot in HS.....I would have a serious crush on some guy but the second he showed any interest in me It was like a switch went off and my crush went away..... I blame it on fear of comittment, at the time. However, senior year rolls around....I grew up a bit and became the polar opposite of that... go figure right.....one extreeme to the next. I really do think ppl do that unintentionally as a sort of fear of commitment thing....we love to know we've still go it but that's about the extent of what we want

Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,298,072 times
Quote:

These are all valid points as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships