Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I think people make a lot of assumptions. People who are beautiful put up with a lot of crap at an early age. Not only do they endure mean jealousy but they also endure people staring at them all the time. My cousin had amazing blue green eyes and black hair, she is incredibly beautiful. Kids started spreading this rumor that she was a witch. It almost destroyed her emotionally. Beautiful people have to fight for being more than just an image. How about creepy men constantly making inappropriate comments when you are only 13 years old? Who wants all that attention? Oh wait...those who think it is a blessing!

I think this fits into the the same category as people cheering for the underdog at a sporting event. The less attractive person automatically deserves to have a better personality or integrity because they are not beautiful.

Sure some take advantage of their looks still I don't think it's not fair to assume beauty is all there is. A lot of attractive women would just like to be credited for their intelligence or accomplishments instead of how they look.

People are people: there are superficial ugly people, and there are superficial beautiful people.
I agree. Many times a beautiful woman can't even get a date because all the men want to "teach her a lesson", for turning down someone they think is cool. But these same men won't ask an unattractive women out, they just want the pretty one. The pretty woman has to learn from an early age how to deal with spiteful , jealous remarks from other women, and also from the backlash of turning down a very popular guy who isn't what she is looking for. He might be your best friend and be short or overweight, or whatever, and if the woman turns him down, they assume this is the reason why. They don't even want to know why, they just assume this is why, and go into "we hate you shallow women" mode. Sometimes a woman simply wants another guy she is interested in to ask her out. But a lot of people take it personal, and that's when they create problems.

But knowing this, many women have to resort to ignoring the offenders and this annoys them a lot. So they label her all kinds of things. Call her aloof, stuck up, shallow. No, she is not always what you think. She might just be trying to avoid dealing with your prejudgement, so she keeps to herself. It comes with a LIFETIME of dealing with other people's ignorance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:55 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,117 times
Spot on Temptation. I find it interesting how biased people are by what they see. Could it be that their assumptions color how they see someone? That's what is so fun about an anonymous internet forum. It evens things out a bit.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:33 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,063 times
Attractive wowen are superficially more attractive, and that's about all you can really conclude.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM

57 posts, read 80,403 times
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Most VERY Attractive women are not interested in working on their intellectual skills and interpersonal communication because they are accepted by others just because they are so pretty. Once they age and lose their looks then a real problem occurs.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM

5,323 posts, read 6,099,356 times
There more superficial becasue they can afford to be..Unattratcive people cant be as sueperficial or picky

Im not that picky or superfical becasue i have no confidence with women and women rarely show interest in me..If i had better luck with women and was better looking id probably be a little more superficial..

People are as superficial as there options not becasue us ugly or average people are on a morally higher level or less shallow we just cant afford to be..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,606 times
My ex - a real stunner, low on the personal achievement scale and always coasted by on her looks - she had a real doll face with green eyes and curly hair - almost a dead ringer for Valerie Bertinelli with a little Julia Luis Dreyfus thrown in. When push came to shove and she needed to buck up and tackle real world problems - like her downwardly spiraling marriage - she was woefully unprepared and it was her undoing. She is 50 now, looks 35 but still skates by when she can. When I hit the 'singles scene' I was fortunate that being OK looking and 6 -1 and 220 - I snagged a few beauties who were only attractive on a skin-deep basis. I had one lady scan a crowd at a party and after a few 'tinis told me "I got this place in the hot-ness department - not one chick here comes close to me - don't tell me I'm wrong, I'm not". She turned out to be a bee yatch, a user, mean and cold.

My current GF is above average to me anyway but has more depth and soul than anyone I have ever been with.

So yes, looks GENERALLY can be a detriment to what it takes to hold down your end in a a real heart to heart relationship.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 AM

229 posts, read 416,400 times
Try Looking much younger than your age. People don't treat with you with the same respect as they do if you look old. I've been told That I don't even look old enough to have kids in school, by the vice principal. (In a Very rude manner) Like I didn't have a right to be there!! (I have 5 kids and am a Grandmother) I have noticed women who were ugly as teenagers and in their early 20's who later have many surgeries to change their looks and think they finally look great are the superficial ones. They have low self-esteem still.
I have met many beautiful natural women, who are not superficial at all.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,746 times
It has a lot to do with your parents and how you were raised. If you were made to feel that looks were all that mattered growing up, then that is how you will act as an adult. If on the other hand, you were made to feel that your looks were just an accident of nature, but what you did with your life was what matters, then you will not grow up to rely on your looks.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 PM

351 posts, read 537,952 times
I equate beauty in a woman comparable to a guy who has inherited a successful family business. Sometimes these people still work hard and have great personalities, but often times such individuals rest on their lucky laurels and coast through life.

The fact of the matter is that beautiful women and wealthy men already have something universally attractive to the opposite sex, and the population at large. A beautiful woman will still have men pursuing her even if she is the biggest b*tch in the world, and likewise, a wealthy man will still be desirable to plenty of women, even if his personality is lacking.

Average looking women and average earning guys have to try harder at being desirable to the opposite sex, so naturally the likelihood of better personalities is higher, but not guaranteed. Sometimes an opposite reaction occurs, where average (or below average) looking women and average (or below average) earning guys develop a "chip on their shoulder" due to unsuccessfully competing with those who are blessed with looks or money.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM

351 posts, read 537,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Also, how many truly wealthy men are on this forum anyway?
It's the internet. There are wealthy guys on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Like a woman needs some guy just to pay her phone bill. Give me a break.
It's not about paying a phone bill. LOL

It's about putting her up in a penthouse apartment overlooking Central Park and taking her to Paris for dinner. A lot of women seem to enjoy that lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships