Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I dated an African-American man for a year and that was a good experience in some parts, but he turned out to be crazy. That was just him however, not because of his race. I prefer black men. They look nice and I find them very attractive.
Are you white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Force View Post
Wow, you're a mutt.

and yes, the far east of cuba (Orient) is the only part where tainos still live.

tainos were wiped off from the west of cuba by the spanish settlers, only the ones in the orient remained.
Quote:
Wow, you're a mutt.
yeah, that's what the ladies tell me.

The Tainos lived in the backwoods (monte adentro) of Oriente and maintained their culture even as they became a mixed populace. My shaman friend was part Haitian and looked a little like Lionel Richie.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 AM

272 posts, read 621,030 times
Here's a great example of many immigrants assimilating to the status of 'Whitness' in America. This is still the case today. How an individual like the OP's boyfriend arrived at being 'White' when he's Italian, Irish and Black is beyond me. But, that's exactly how it is today. There are a lot of folks hiding behind the 'White' and 'Black' labels.

The same is true for 'Blacks', which have a diverse background ranging from influences of Native American, Irish, Italian, Asian, African and other cultures. You cannot mix Blue and Red together and still call it Red, but that's what we do every damn day in this country. This is one of many reasons why I'm a vocal opponent of 'race'. It's a shoddy social establishment and has no biological relevance to human beings. I am so sick and tired of this concept, but what more can one do? Our country is ruled by this facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
I'm black, and my boyfriend is white. We've been together for 1yr and a half now. He's mixed.
His mom is Italian and Irish and his dad is Black and Italian.
This is my first interracial relationship, and I cant wonder why some ppl would be against it.

I see interracial relationships daily, especially in my school.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
yeah, that's what the ladies tell me.

The Tainos lived in the backwoods (monte adentro) of Oriente and maintained their culture even as they became a mixed populace. My shaman friend was part Haitian and looked a little like Lionel Richie.
LOL lionel richie.

It truly sucks they were wiped off from havana and other cities.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 52,942 times
I'm a white women who only dates black men. Me and my boyfriend have been together for 3 years now. One thing I have noticed is that some white people are jealous. Like I think I'm cool or better than them. Because I have a fine black boyfriend.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Sounds like somebody had an affair because that is scientifically impossible
Actually you sound like someone who know very little about DNA and science. There are traits that can skip a generation or recessive genes that can create features. My great grandmother had two Black parents and she had fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. If a Black person has any white features in their DNA, and all Blacks who have been in this country at least 6 generations do, they can conceivably have children with White features. The reverse is true as well: if a White person has any Black ancestry, they can have a child with Black features. If Black and White get together, there's no telling what their children will look like.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
To answer the OP, I have been in several interracial relationships and prefer dating White men to Black. It has nothing to do with anything other than I'm way more attracted to White men than Black men.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldl79 View Post
Here's a great example of many immigrants assimilating to the status of 'Whitness' in America. This is still the case today. How an individual like the OP's boyfriend arrived at being 'White' when he's Italian, Irish and Black is beyond me. But, that's exactly how it is today. There are a lot of folks hiding behind the 'White' and 'Black' labels.

The same is true for 'Blacks', which have a diverse background ranging from influences of Native American, Irish, Italian, Asian, African and other cultures. You cannot mix Blue and Red together and still call it Red, but that's what we do every damn day in this country. This is one of many reasons why I'm a vocal opponent of 'race'. It's a shoddy social establishment and has no biological relevance to human beings. I am so sick and tired of this concept, but what more can one do? Our country is ruled by this facade.

There are people of diffrent races who come to america and want to be around the white people. Because of the way races are portrayed in the media. It seems that the ''whiteness'' thing happens more in the asian community than with hispanics and blacks. Even though I see alot of young asians interacting with all races of people. I don't think all the people who do it want to be white. Its just the media makes it look like that only the white people are on top. And only the minorities are on the bottom. Even though there are alot more poor whites than poor black and hispanics in america. And majority of black and hispanic families are middle class. So some people coming to america may think the only way to suceed in this country. Is to suck up to whites, be around them, or marry one.

But after living in georgia, california, florida, north carolina, and texas. 65% to 70% of black/white kids call themselves black. And 30% to 35% call themselves mixed or bi-racial. I have never heard a black/white kid call themselves white. Even the one's who grew up around mostly white people or have more white friends.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Soledad Obrien on CNN considers herself black. I have seen darker italian white women than her. Its sad but in america you usually have to choose white or black. That's changing though with the younger generation thank god.

Last edited by eddop; 09-14-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,685 times
Here's my two cents as a biracial/bicultural/binational mutt:

Reconciling issues of race, culture and heritage, especially between how you identify yourself and how others define you, becomes a routine part of life for mixed kids. I've lived in different countries and experienced life where one racial/cultural component was "foreign" only to move to a country where the other was considered foreign. I've been taunted as a child for both features depending on where I lived (maybe that's why I never had any self-hatred issues, I realized it was all a matter of geography). I myself have never denied either heritage because I am proud and happy of my mix (and my parents loved me unconditionally), but oftentimes I have felt society deny or insist upon one or the other. I've had to contend with issues of identity that my parents couldn't relate to personally. I've had relations with my parents strained at times because my cultural expectations were different from their cultural upbringing and hence mannerisms. But what used to be a difficulty and a lack in the sense of belonging (kind of a global nomad without a clearcut national/racial/cultural home) as a child has now, as an adult, become a source of pride and a unique identity. I started to understand how my background made me sort of a chameleon that can be at ease most anywhere, no matter the country, culture, or race. And I consider that a gift.

For children of this increasingly global economy and politics, the notion of single-race, single-nation, single-culture identity is outdated. I do not say this to mean that race/culture/heritage is not important. You should always treasure your heritage and background, and it will always be part of your identity. But a person, especially a child, should not have to be defined by it. It's not easy being forced to choose between two nationalities when you identify with both and have to give one up. It's not easy feeling one way but being denied that identity by society because you don't look the part. It's not easy having society insist upon "the other" heritage when it really has no bearing to what's going on at that time. It's unfortunate that society feels it's so important to put people in nice neat categories that fit their worldview.

Last edited by vemureaux; 09-15-2008 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships