Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times

Advertisements

Oh darn. Only if you were in Chicago......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I notice a lot of interracial relationships and that is good. I was in one before and would like to meet someone here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Lol.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal force View Post
please elaborate on that issue? :d.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,414 times
the cultural differences would be huge and to make it work, both sides need to make extra efforts. But with most Americans requiring instant gratification and the fact that it's so easy and so acceptable to get a divorce. I don't see interracial relationships last over the long run, the one that lasts probably requires one side to make significant sacrifices.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
the cultural differences would be huge and to make it work, both sides need to make extra efforts. But with most Americans requiring instant gratification and the fact that it's so easy and so acceptable to get a divorce. I don't see interracial relationships last over the long run, the one that lasts probably requires one side to make significant sacrifices.
Cultural differences? We're talking about interracial relationships here. My boyfriend is black, I'm white but we're both american citizens. We both eat the same type of food, drive a car, go to work everyday, watch tv, wash our clothes in a washing machine, etc. so as for cultural differences, I don't know where you're coming from. Neither one of us has to make any "significant sacrifices" to be together. What kind of sacrifice would we have to make because our skin tones don't match? Also, what do american divorce rates have to do with interracial relationships? Do you have statistics saying that interracial marriages have a higher divorce rate than same race marriages?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
Cultural differences? We're talking about interracial relationships here. My boyfriend is black, I'm white but we're both american citizens. We both eat the same type of food, drive a car, go to work everyday, watch tv, wash our clothes in a washing machine, etc. so as for cultural differences, I don't know where you're coming from. Neither one of us has to make any "significant sacrifices" to be together. What kind of sacrifice would we have to make because our skin tones don't match? Also, what do american divorce rates have to do with interracial relationships? Do you have statistics saying that interracial marriages have a higher divorce rate than same race marriages?
LOL. Great post and rep points are in order for you. I've always wondered why people say "cultural differences" when in fact the folks probably grew up in the same town/city, went to the same school, eat the same food, hung out at the same malls, etc. Culturally, we Americans are pretty much all the same.

The only time you may get "cultural differences" is if the person comes from another country and speaks another language. My wife is Eastern European and we get along perfectly. Why? Because we love each other and are into the same things.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,414 times
Quote:
black, white, latino, asian all grow in significantly different cultures even though they are American citizens. It's pretty obvious to me. I don't know how you come to the belief that there is NO significant cultural differences between Americans of different races.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
LOL. Great post and rep points are in order for you. I've always wondered why people say "cultural differences" when in fact the folks probably grew up in the same town/city, went to the same school, eat the same food, hung out at the same malls, etc. Culturally, we Americans are pretty much all the same.

The only time you may get "cultural differences" is if the person comes from another country and speaks another language. My wife is Eastern European and we get along perfectly. Why? Because we love each other and are into the same things.
I disagree. People might grow up in the same city on the opposite sides of the tracks and have a completely different upbringing and background and not relate to each other at all.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
black, white, latino, asian all grow in significantly different cultures even though they are American citizens. It's pretty obvious to me. I don't know how you come to the belief that there is NO significant cultural differences between Americans of different races.
Umm, not really. Besides me liking sweet potato pie more than pumpkin pie, I am really not that different than whites from a similar background.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:49 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,465 times
Quote:
Quote:
It's important to distinguish between interracial and intercultural. They're not mutually exclusive, but they aren't interchangeable. Also, international doesn't necessary equate to intercultural or interratial either. So eatfastnoodle needs to choose his words a bit more carefully

As you stated, some interracial relationships are not intercultural. But if your in an interracial relationship with someone from a different culture, then it can be both. You can also have an intercultural relationship with someone of the same race.

I do eatfastnoodle with the poster, however, that culture is a bigger "difference" than race, and that intercultural relationships have more hurdles than strictly interracial ones.

Quote:
Certainly different groups have different histories and ethnic identities that permeate throughout their everyday lives. But what you describe depends A LOT on immigration status ("fresh off the boat" vs newer-generation American vs been in America for generations), socio-economic status, and how much they embrace or have acclimated to American culture, among other things. An American born Asian-American that lives in chinatown and hasn't really bothered to assimilate is culturally going to be very different from an Asian-American who lives is white suburbia and doesn't even speak an Asian language. Race doesn't dictate culture necessarily.

Last edited by vemureaux; 09-24-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
It's important to distinguish between interracial and intercultural. They're not mutually exclusive, but they aren't interchangeable. Also, international doesn't necessary equate to intercultural or interratial either. So eatfastnoodle needs to choose his words a bit more carefully

As you stated, some interracial relationships are not intercultural. But if your in an interracial relationship with someone from a different culture, then it can be both. You can also have an intercultural relationship with someone of the same race.

I do eatfastnoodle with the poster, however, that culture is a bigger "difference" than race, and that intercultural relationships have more hurdles than strictly interracial ones.
Yes, the difference between interracial and intercultural is one often misunderstood. I come from what you could roughly say is intercultural parentage, although both of my parents are black. I am also in a somewhat intercultural, but not interracial, marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships