Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,502,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
I'm black, and my boyfriend is white. We've been together for 1yr and a half now. He's mixed.
His mom is Italian and Irish and his dad is Black and Italian.
This is my first interracial relationship, and I cant wonder why some ppl would be against it.

I see interracial relationships daily, especially in my school.
You're in NY, .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:29 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,355,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Force View Post
What are you by the way?

and congratulations on the future baby .

I was born in the Dominican Republic, I was deported to the US at age 14.
Thanks BTW!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:03 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,834,182 times
Quote:
There must be 1,000 threads about this, but i'm new .

Anyways, have you guys ever been involved in a interracial relationship? If so, with who? and what race/culture was that specific person?

For the ones who DON'T agree on interracial relationships: tell me why? should men/woman stick to their own culture? Do you have doubts that if you see a man dating a female outside the race/culture as you your culture will be gone? (for example: if a white girl marries a black guy and they have a child and both raise the child to be BLACK-AMERICAN), would that affect you?

I'll start: I've never been involved in a interracial relationship, i don't have a problem with it but i rarely see it in the area i live at.

The End .
I was in one casual interracial relationship and have recently ( nine months ago) left a relationship with an African American man. I prefer this race and I just have a natural attraction to black men. It is not really a choice per se, or maybe it is. I have dated white men also, but after I dated a black man, I just prefer them. He turned out to be very abusive, but that could be a man of any race. When I was dating him, I did not have any problems. His Mom loved me and his sisters. They did not care if I was white and I got along with them fine. My ex however, would sometimes think people were staring at us in restaurants etc., because of the difference. I think he was imagining things. D.C. Northern Virginia area is very open-minded. I hope this helps! At the risk of being crude, "Once you go black, you don't go back." Hee Hee!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
I'm really surprised that there aren't more interracial relationships in Miami. Is there some tension between the Latino/Black/White communities?

I'm black and the majority of women that I have dated (including my current longtime ladyfriend) have been white. Among other things, I think it helps to live in a diverse area, your metro notwithstanding.

Quote:
There must be 1,000 threads about this, but i'm new .

Anyways, have you guys ever been involved in a interracial relationship? If so, with who? and what race/culture was that specific person?

For the ones who DON'T agree on interracial relationships: tell me why? should men/woman stick to their own culture? Do you have doubts that if you see a man dating a female outside the race/culture as you your culture will be gone? (for example: if a white girl marries a black guy and they have a child and both raise the child to be BLACK-AMERICAN), would that affect you?

I'll start: I've never been involved in a interracial relationship, i don't have a problem with it but i rarely see it in the area i live at.

The End .

Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM

342 posts, read 1,832,976 times
Considering I'm the product of an interracial/intercultural relationship, all my relationships have also been interracial as I have yet to meet someone with the same background as me. I've dated hispanics, anglos, eastern european/african mixes, Americans and non-Americans.... I've only met one other person besides my sister that was the same exact mix as me, racially and culturally. I've had the privilege of being raised on multiple continents, being fluent in multiple languages, traveling to different countries and in the process, meeting different people with different perspectives. I think it's refreshing to be with people who are different from you, and to be exposed to different worldviews (and be challenged to step out of your comfort zone at times). I wouldn't say interracial/intercultural relationships are "better" than same-race/same-culture relationships (because in the end as long as you find that someone, none of that matters), but that's the advantage, and to a certain extent the appeal, of dating someone different from you.

I do think, though, that dating someone with a different cultural background even if of the same race, presents more of a challenge than dating someone with a different racial background but of the same culture, but that's just speculation.

EDIT: I have a couple of friends who feel STRONG pressures from parents and family to date and marry within their own race, so I'm sure that kind of outside familial and/or social pressures would strongly influence the outcome and satisfaction of an interratial or intercultural relationship. (Luckily for me, I'm a mutt so I didn't have to deal with that.)

Last edited by vemureaux; 09-07-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 07:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Considering I'm the product of an interracial/intercultural relationship, all my relationships have also been interracial. I've only met one other person besides my sister that was the same mix as me.
Wow! I really would love to see a picture of you!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,211,819 times
I'm an American born Chinese woman who has only dated white men. It's always seemed perfectly natural to me. However, I grew up in the suburbs not an inner city Chinatown so I have a lot more in common with white suburban folks than I do with Asian people.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM

697 posts, read 2,017,011 times
My daughter is white, black and native american. I'm white. Her biological father is black/native american. Race wasn't an issue. Stupidity was. Have a beautiful daughter though. Her father she can depend on, is white.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
[upon receiving a bundt cake from Mrs. Miller]
Maria Portokalos: It's a cake! I know! Thank you! Thank you very, very much.
[whispering to Aunt Freida]
Maria Portokalos: There's a hole in this cake!
Great flick, as was "Moonstruck." I could definitely hang out with all her Greek relatives (in the movie), but hanging oug with his parents (in the movie) might have required Prozac. LOL.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,502,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm really surprised that there aren't more interracial relationships in Miami. Is there some tension between the Latino/Black/White communities?

I'm black and the majority of women that I have dated (including my current longtime ladyfriend) have been white. Among other things, I think it helps to live in a diverse area, your metro notwithstanding.
Not really, it's just the way we're raised.
I've only seen a couple of Latino/Black couples but not a huge percent like there is with Black/White couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships