Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
If Whiteness is so aspired to than why is the term Brown pride so popular in the Hispanic community ?
It is popular among a segment of people who do indeed call themselves Brown; these people are an actual or functional minority. It is a reaction, like Black pride, to the prevailing Eurocentric attitudes in the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
If Whiteness is so aspired to than why is the term Brown pride so popular in the Hispanic community ?
Well, somebody has to boost their self-esteem and self-identification. Since it evidently is not their own country, then the job is up to them.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
Quote:
Not just the American media does that......check out Telemundo and Univision sometime.......
You didn't get what I said at all. I asked her what does she want the American media to falsely portray Hispanics as looking like they came straight out of Norway, in response to her complaint that the American media portrays Hispanics as being mostly Brown.

The American media does not try to Whitewash the Hispanic community at all, quite the contrary. Which is why there is not a single show on American television about a so-called "White" Hispanic family. Tv shows like The Brothers Garcia, Resurrection Blvd, The George Lopez Show, Ugly Betty etc are all about Brown Hispanic families.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post

For the ones who DON'T agree on interracial relationships: tell me why? should men/woman stick to their own culture?
That's like trying to close the barn door after the horse--most of us have a mix in us.

Me, the answer is yes and no. I'm Tsimshian Indian and Russian Jew but while my brothers and sisters are all dark or darker complected, I'm fair skinned with green eyes so unless I told someone, they'd think I'm just white--if there is such a thing as just white.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
According to Welcome to BrownPride Online! | Powered by Digital Aztlan, it's a group of Mexican Americans that coined that phrase. And about whiteness, it's probably like the Asian community. Those that are poor uneducated laborers who toil outdoors, naturally they have darker skin from getting tanned by exposure to the sun. Or maybe they are mixed with Africans. But someone who is light skinned is percieved as being upper class, wealthy and educated. They are fairer in skin tones from spending their days indoors or in the shade in comfort.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
When I was younger I was very picky so probably would not have dated interracially, although I had leaned towards it a few times.

Now though I really don't think much about it all, in fact am probably more interested in dating other races or from other countries/cultures.

My sister married an asian man six years ago who was also a foreign national at the time. I know my dad was not happy about it at the time and it surprised me some as well. But there is no problem now and we all like the guy.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Ive never dated anyone outside my own culture/race....and honestly Ive never had the desire to. Im pershnickety. lol

Ethnic-looking men just have never attracted me all that much. Ive got lots of friends that arent white, but thats as far as its ever gone.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
You didn't get what I said at all. I asked her what does she want the American media to falsely portray Hispanics as looking like they came straight out of Norway, in response to her complaint that the American media portrays Hispanics as being mostly Brown.

The American media does not try to Whitewash the Hispanic community at all, quite the contrary. Which is why there is not a single show on American television about a so-called "White" Hispanic family. Tv shows like The Brothers Garcia, Resurrection Blvd, The George Lopez Show, Ugly Betty etc are all about Brown Hispanic families.

The Norwegian comment is off the mark. Caucasians are not all tall, blond, blue eyed with pale pinkish skin tones. Europeans around the Mediterranean tend to be a bit darker, but they are still white. So no, I do not expect any representation of Hispanic people to be fairer Northern European types. But as one of my past posts mentioned, there are countries where the Hispanic people are a majority white, so there's more of us than some imagine.
Example: When people ask me what I am, and I say "Spanish", they say "You don't look Mexican"...oh really? This is because of stereotypes they see in the media. I also blame the poor US educational system for never teaching geography so that few Americans know of this little country in Europe called Spain.... People get this blank look on their face when you reference it.

As brought out, Telemundo does go to the opposite extreme and shows mostly fairer Spanish looking people and often only puts darker Hispanics in subservient type of roles.

Ultimately, I don't want the media to do anything. I reject the term Hispanic in general. It's clear to me you have very little understanding of the term, but have accepted the typical misconceptions most people have. Hispanic is a confusing term though, and I understand why people don't grasp it well. There is no such thing as the Hispanic race. If that confuses you, and you want to know more, I suggest independent research. I feel like I am hijacking the purpose of this thread now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
The culture of all Latin countries encourages whiteness; as a result many people who are not exactly white (mixed European, Native and/or African), will self-identify as white. No, it has nothing to do with "Anglo" background, just that whiteness is aspired to and celebrated, while blackness and Nativeness is not.
This is very true, and somewhat sad. Some Mexicans I know regard themselves as more Amerindian, because they want to emphasize the part of their heritage that is often ignored. I think Miu also brought out a good point in regards to skin tone being related to class in some people's minds.

However, many non Hispanic white people in the US that have been here for any length of time likely have some Native American in their lineage. So to ask a Spanish Hispanic person to identify as mixed race simply because they had a few people in their family history who were Amerindian is kind of ridiculous. Since race is a pretty arbitrary issue to begin with, it makes sense to identify as what you most closely relate to (usually the bulk of your heritage).

Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 PM

23 posts, read 81,602 times
Default Ok???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't agree with interracial relationships for me. I've always wanted kids and I just don't think it's fair to ask kids to deal with being biracial. I've seen too many kids who were biracial who just couldn't seem to fit in anywhere. It's not fair to them. If I would have gotten into an interracial relationship, I would have had to decide not to have kids. I wasn't going to do that so I never went looking for one.
OK, well, I guess I must be mixed Italian and English and there was a time in history when Italians were considered "beneath white people" by alot of the other Europeans. When the Irish first came here they were called "the Green N-word-s". Now, if everyone is already from other cultures and backgrounds, why would there be an issue? If people didn't have a social stigma, which in my opinion is mostly one's fear of how they look to others, then there is no issue. Black and white USED to be a taboo and now I hear MORE black people than white who are opposed to it. Actually, black males have been dating and marrying white women for a while. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that some black women started dating white men. I think a lot of people from various races are 'curious' and have had a "skin color fantasy" at one time but usually that wanes with time. Most of the ones I hear upset by interracial dating are people who are pre-1950's era. Most of them are dying out. Older black people lived through a time in history when the Jim Crow stuff was real, not just in a movie. I can understand why it is hard for them to adjust. My white mother until the day she died, which was recently, at 85, was not accepting of other races. But most of that generation was allowed to keep themselves segregated from others. I believe if she would have had to work outside the home constantly until she was 65, then, she would have been forced to get along with everyone more and would have been more "experienced" in how little we really differ from each other. Scientists have figured out there is actually only about 2 percent difference in the DNA of any two human beings. That is mostly the part that decides how we look. We mostly all want to have a better world for ourselves and our children. I have worked as a manager of a department in a county office where all races worked. I don't care if you are gay, a different race, of different religious background, etc. The main thing that matters is how you do your job and IF you can get along with everyone else.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 40,361 times
Smile Re:

I've never been in a serious so-called interracial relationship, but I've talked to several black girls and women online. I'm trying to get back together with a black woman so that it can be a serious relationship. now that i'm eighteen, almost nineteen, and she turned twenty-four in january, i would love to get married to her so that me and her can get to live our lives together, have children, and go to our separate religious buildings since we're different denominations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships