Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times

Advertisements

My wife and her father have always been distant. My wife has tried to improve things but so far nothing has worked. They see each other a few times a year and talk by phone once or twice but the conversation is formal and distant.

Now we find that her Father is dying of cancer and has a few months to live. There will be a big get together Wisconsin in a few weeks for the old man. Her sisters will come to visit him from all over the country.

In your experience, will terminal cancer improve or change the relationship? Of course you can not tell in this case because you do not know the people but maybe you have experienced something similar in the past. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
When my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, our strained relationship did not change. I wanted to visit but he absolutely forbad me from doing so. We continued to speak once a week by phone, albeit very brief.

When my mother passed away, I thought that maybe the relationship would change for the better, but it did not. In the last years of my father's life, he spoke more often with my husband than I. In short, do not expect any changes.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM

132 posts, read 462,971 times
I had a similar relationship with my father for all of my adult life before he got sick. I tried everything I could do over the years to get closer, to no avail. He died four months after being sick. Nothing ever changed.

I didn't mourn my dad, but the loss of a relationship I never had. It took about a year for me to finally feel relief. No more strained, albeit infrequent, conversations, no more spending holidays with friends wishing I were with family, no more trying unsuccessfully to have a "normal" relationship, no more getting disappointed and hurt by this man. Not to sound too callous, but I'm actually glad he's dead now. Hurt like hell at the time, though.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
no

Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,593 times
When my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, we mended our relationship right away. We made wonderful memories & became closer than ever. Anything is possible with God.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I think it all depends on her father. If he wants to make amends and have a closer relationship with his family , he will, but it's really all up to him. I would think that dying in the near future would be a good incentive to repair any damaged feelings that familys hold, but it's certainly not a guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships