Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,001 times

Advertisements

I have a few relatives who I can not stand. So I was talking to a couselor about the issue because it is to my advantage to give them the matter of the doubt and try to communicate.

The couselor told me that I should look for good things about these people. The couselor asked me to list 5 things that were good about these difficult relatives. So I though and thought and thought. I just could not come up with one thing that was good or even tolerable about them.

(I am sure they think they are wonderful and I am in the wrong of course)

Do you know anyone who has no redeeming qualities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Yes - and she works in the same office as I do. I had to apply for a position in another department to get away from her. I cannot think of a single thing she is good for. She did have a cat that she cared for, but even that she got rid of when her apt manager said no pets allowed anymore - instead of looking for a place that would allow a cat. So the one redeeming thing she may have had going for her, she got rid of because it became an inconvenience.

I wouldn't pi** on her if she was on fire.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I just could not come up with one thing that was good or even tolerable about them.
Wow, not even one...?! You must be really harsh. Thank you for making me feel lenient today!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
I do but theres still time..............

This guy thats been married three times made the comment that I might be coming into more money when my wifes Dad died said something just as callous a week later when her mother passed.
I'll admit I wish bad for him, which has come true without my intervention but........

Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
When I first read the name of the thread, I felt bad opening it because I try so hard to find everyone's redeeming qualities, but hell with that right now!!

My best friends husband has no redeeming qualities, unless, during a weak moment he has signed the organ donor card on his drivers license. He is a compulsive gambler, compulsive liar, habitual cheater, drug addict, alcoholic, sexual deviant and has been physically abusive to my friend and his kids. He has told his kids that nice people suck and good men(those who do not posess his qualities) are p#*$y whipped...he is vile.

This guy is soooo slick, NO ONE knew he was such a cretin. He is a schmoozer...you know, a bacl slapping nice guy.

He gets so drunk he gets into fights at the country club, passes out, or does not come home for a few days.

With that said, she is divorcing him and I am thrilled!! Now I feel like I need to go to church...

Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
My ex DIL comes to mind. Well the gkids are still alive. I guess that could be considered a redeeming quality.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My ex DIL comes to mind. Well the gkids are still alive. I guess that could be considered a redeeming quality.
Yes, we should rejoice in the small things when we run across nasty ones but it is hard sometimes

Old 09-09-2008, 11:59 AM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Yes. and somedays harder than others.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Sounds like your counselor is trying to manipulate your judgment.
If you judge that your certain relatives are flat out toxic or terrible to be around. Then so be it. Keep yourself safe and focus on the positive aspects of those people you like and respect. It's a waste of time to sit around thinking how certain awful relatives are actually good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I have a few relatives who I can not stand. So I
was talking to a couselor about the issue because it is to my advantage to give them the matter of the doubt and try to communicate.

The couselor told me that I should look for good things about these people. The couselor asked me to list 5 things that were good about these difficult relatives. So I though and thought and thought. I just could not come up with one thing that was good or even tolerable about them.

(I am sure they think they are wonderful and I am in the wrong of course)

Do you know anyone who has no redeeming qualities?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Now I feel like I need to go to church...
I don't think so. Good riddance, I'd say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships