Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Thought the discussion was the happiness of housewives not unwed mothers.

Anyway, I think most of it depends on the spouse. My mom was a 50's hw. She married at sixteen became a mother at 19. She wasnt particularlly happy, but she wasnt terribly unhappy either. I think she would have been happier if my father had been generous and supportive. I never asked her but believe if she could have a do over she would have done things differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
The point wasn't "unwed mothers"--the point was that some women have no greater ambition than to have and raise children.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
If I think back to my grandparents generation, men worked and supported the family. Women had lots of kids because there was no effective birth control. Education beyond the basics of how to run a household was considered to be a waste for most women...... But these women wanted more for their daughters and pushed for education and independence. They wanted their daughters to have more options.

Next came my mom's generation. More women were educated and able to be in the workforce. WWII gave many women their first taste in independence and working for a paycheck. Women began thinking beyond getting married and having babies. But most still did just that and they weren't happy about it because they wanted more.

When I was a kid, the worst arguments I can remember my parents having were about mom wanting to go back to work. My father was adamantly against it because he made enough money to support the family and he didn't want people thinking his wife had to work. Sounds funny now but that's how he felt at the time.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:44 AM

Maybe. I think she beggs to differ. The pill wasnt around till the 60's so most of the 1950s housewives werent just chomping at the bit to have kids they just didnt have the options we have today.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
When I was a kid, the worst arguments I can remember my parents having were about mom wanting to go back to work. My father was adamantly against it because he made enough money to support the family and he didn't want people thinking his wife had to work. Sounds funny now but that's how he felt at the time.
My father-in-law was the exact same way. He "did not allow" my mother-in-law to work outside the home because he felt it was a sign that he wasn't capable of supporting his family. Of course, she "allowed" him to "not allow" her.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Maybe. I think she beggs to differ. The pill wasnt around till the 60's so most of the 1950s housewives werent just chomping at the bit to have kids they just didnt have the options we have today.
I'm actually talking about the past 20 years or so. Girls that are eager to have them some kids...that refuse to take advantage of the precautions available, or just refuse to have sex at all.

"If I have a baby, it will be someone who will always love me." or "If I have a baby, it will keep my relationship together."

This doesn't apply only to "unwed mothers". Most--and close to all--of the women on my Facebook page are women that have kids. These are women I went to school with, for the most part. There are maybe three of four women that I know from other places, but the vast majority are women about the same age as me. And they have kids--just about every single one of them.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm actually talking about the past 20 years or so. Girls that are eager to have them some kids...that refuse to take advantage of the precautions available, or just refuse to have sex at all.

"If I have a baby, it will be someone who will always love me." or "If I have a baby, it will keep my relationship together."

This doesn't apply only to "unwed mothers". Most--and close to all--of the women on my Facebook page are women that have kids. These are women I went to school with, for the most part. There are maybe three of four women that I know from other places, but the vast majority are women about the same age as me. And they have kids--just about every single one of them.

Yeah, most of my friends have kids too. Its kind of what ya did. Fall in love, get married and have kids. Not always in that order tho. Mostly having kids is a joint decision or an oops. Difference between then and 1950 is most women then did not work out side the home or have the ability to get a good job.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Because if you have kids, you should actually be home to raise them?

Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
It was also very easy to get prescription diet drugs and "happy pils" back in those days. The diet pills were nothing more then speed. That is probably how alot of women were able to tolerate that mundane life.
Very sad. I also know a lot of SAHM who depend on pills for survival.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because if you have kids, you should actually be home to raise them?
And we should all marry prince charming and live happily ever after, but life just dosent always seem to work out that way does it.

Kids generally start school about 5 yrs. old. Are you suspose to give up your whole life and idenity to sit there and wait till someone needs something? Women can have interest outside of home and children and still raise a happy family. Dosent even have to be a job, could be volunteer work, classes, clubs, whatever, but I think what made some 50 hws unhappy is that there was nothing but husband, home and children.
Even husbands had activities outside of work: the lodge, golf, hunting, the gym, whatever. Their whole life wasnt the job then chained to the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships