Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times

Advertisements

Most of us lead pretty busy lives. Between work and/or school, family, running errands, long commutes to work, hobbies and other interests, it feels like the one thing people wish they had more of is time. Even with cell phones, email, instant messaging, and blogs, a lot of people feel like they just barely keep in touch with the people they care about. The reason I bring this up is in regards to having realistic expectations about dating. You meet someone, you like them, they like you, and you try to pursue something. But then life gets in the way. You have a busy life, they have a busy life, and after a while, it feels like one or both of you is just too busy to make any kind of relationship work. What then? I've always felt that if someone is important enough to you, you'll make the time for them and if you can't or are unwilling, then deep down that must mean they're really not that important to you. But when it comes to dating, I sometimes think that's being a bit unfair. Some people just can't make more free time no matter how much they want to. So what do you do? Do you try to be understanding to the other person's really busy schedule or do you tell yourself this isn't fair to you and you need to find someone who can give you the time you feel you deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 12:45 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
It all depends on the situation. Surely this person is not too busy, EVERYTIME you ask them out! If this is the case, then I would tell them to let you know, when they DO have time.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Nobody's too busy for what they want to do.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM

78,372 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Most of us lead pretty busy lives. Between work and/or school, family, running errands, long commutes to work, hobbies and other interests, it feels like the one thing people wish they had more of is time. Even with cell phones, email, instant messaging, and blogs, a lot of people feel like they just barely keep in touch with the people they care about. The reason I bring this up is in regards to having realistic expectations about dating. You meet someone, you like them, they like you, and you try to pursue something. But then life gets in the way. You have a busy life, they have a busy life, and after a while, it feels like one or both of you is just too busy to make any kind of relationship work. What then? I've always felt that if someone is important enough to you, you'll make the time for them and if you can't or are unwilling, then deep down that must mean they're really not that important to you. But when it comes to dating, I sometimes think that's being a bit unfair. Some people just can't make more free time no matter how much they want to. So what do you do? Do you try to be understanding to the other person's really busy schedule or do you tell yourself this isn't fair to you and you need to find someone who can give you the time you feel you deserve.
I fall in this boat to some extent. I think it just requires meeting someone on the same page with you....that is open to not talking for a week or so and then getting together for a fun outing etc. Just seems you need to find someone in a similar boat.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Nobody's too busy for what they want to do.
Exactly. Rep for you, my friend.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:39 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
The way I see it, you have two options.

1. Move on and find somone who has time for you
2. Deal with it and revoke the right to throw a fit after your married and you feel like you have to make an appointment to see your spouse

Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Adults that are dating should know and apply concepts such as time management and compromise. LOL duh.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Ok I'll say it, "too busy" is code for not interested. Sorry.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Exactly. Rep for you, my friend.
That's right. Don't we all know from experience we'll climb mountains if we want something and we'll find every excuse in the book when we don't...?

Not sure whom to credit for this line, but it's great!

Never make somebody a priority if they only see you as an option.

I've been dumb enough to do that, too.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Very good reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's right. Don't we all know from experience we'll climb mountains if we want something and we'll find every excuse in the book when we don't...?

Not sure whom to credit for this line, but it's great!

Never make somebody a priority if they only see you as an option.

I've been dumb enough to do that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships