Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times

Advertisements

Damn, Jonathan, the only reason I don't rep you more is that I have to spread rep before giving you more! Take this post as 20 rep points for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Jonathan does not own rose colored glasses. His content is unfiltered and he speaks about reality, and not everyone can handle the truth. But he views it very realistically from a male point of view. I like reading his posts.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM

13 posts, read 19,780 times
Default Middle aged NM/NC

I'm over 40 and never been married.

Definitely a middle aged woman's nightmare living in TN - at least if she is NM/NC (never married/no children)! Personally I had elderly parents (late in life child) and had to provide care for 32 years total - so reason not married and no children.

By the way, does anyone know of a State/locale/city where my demographic is welcome? Currently doing research into different locales at the moment. All help is appreciated.

I have about three to five years left before get my retirement and looking around to relocate to more pleasant state/area. Yes, I'll also be looking for employment as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinefromTN View Post
I'm over 40 and never been married.

Definitely a middle aged woman's nightmare living in TN - at least if she is NM/NC (never married/no children)! Personally I had elderly parents (late in life child) and had to provide care for 32 years total - so reason not married and no children.

By the way, does anyone know of a State/locale/city where my demographic is welcome? Currently doing research into different locales at the moment. All help is appreciated.

I have about three to five years left before get my retirement and looking around to relocate to more pleasant state/area. Yes, I'll also be looking for employment as well.

Sunshine, actually MOST metro areas with at least 1/3 million (in your case Memphis and Nashville) will have a section of the city that accommodates your demographic. Certainly any 1 Million+ metro area will have them (I can say Memphis for sure, given I lived there for 3 1/2 yrs). So what parts of Memphis or Nashville are likely to accommodate your demographic? Basically, parts of the central city that did not suffer from "white flight" or "middle class flight" during the late 20th century. More specifically, they are areas of the central city with ALL the following traits:

*Still Middle Class
*Most Educated Part of the city
*Pre-World War II Neighborhood
*Closest to Downtown

Usually, it's the parts of the city with the most interesting architecture - almost always the most liberal or artsy/bohemian part of town. Even so, if you're conservative, you won't have a particularly hard time finding them. Art museum, film festivals, and community volunteerism/activism is a good place to start.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM

13 posts, read 19,780 times
Default To Phil75230; Now don't get your feelings hurt

You use one of the same websites I do for research. Appreciate your input; however...You need to understand stats you are reading and using. Hope this helps others in relocation research also.

Rough definitions:
MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) -This usually includes parishes/cities/counties near the area you are researching. Million plus includes at least six counties surrounding Nashville (bedroom communities). Nashville's population at any given time is roughly only 550,000.

In order to get to know an area go into the area's history: "Metro Nashville" was not incorporated until 1963. I know because I was here. (My late parents moved to Nashville in the 1930s and 1940s respectively.) At the time of incorporation I would say "Metro" had about 40,000 +/-population. Mostly farms in 1963 surrounding downtown Nashville.

Most of the pre-WWII housing has been demolished in the 1980s for new mixed developments. My old neighborhoods are basically gone. Artsy and/or educated does not mean progressive. Learn a little bit about Nashville area and you will learn it is a very conservative mind-set including the artists (country music/arts). I am one of the last in the area that is a 'native' Nashvillian; pre-dating the 1963 incorporation. In fact most people who live here are shocked when they find this out.

Again I think you for your input, but my job demands that I go past numbers to get my people home at night to their families. This is kind of research only you can get from people who live in the area. That is why I wish to hear from people who actually live in the area they are describing.

As you can see I do know about Nashville, and per post am wishing to relocate elsewhere. Need to go now, work 12 1/2 shifts...

Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,680 times
To each their own in life. I'm 39 single and never been married with no kids. Lots of pressure from family and friends to have a family....but half of them have already been divorced, suffered a lot and have kids with issues. I realize that my time may have come and passed for the "normal" family, but what is normal anymore? I've been able to live in 4 different states, travel a lot, and people think I am 32 years old. When you die, you go on your own, so those of us single folks will be ready 100% to the afterlife......it's all good either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships