Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 06:27 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

I posted a different thread a while back related to this. I asked a woman who works at the gym I work out at to have a bite to eat with me over at the Jack-in-the-Box across the street from the gym. I asked her because she likes to eat there. We will do this next Sunday (not tomorrow). I'm not sure if this is even considered a date. We both have talked a few times and know a bit about each other.

I would like to bring her some sort of present but having looked on Google, I've gotten mixed messages whether a man should bring a gift (flowers, a small box of candy) on a first date. Some have said it may make her feel pressured, it makes the man look desperate, trying to get her to like him.

What is the proper thing to do? Bring her a present or don't bring her anything. Again, I'm not even sure this would be considered a date.

Further information: I'm about to turn 70 and she's about to turn 53. Neither of us looks or feels our age.

Yeah, I know, I am naive about this. That's why I'm asking. It's very important to me so help is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 06:49 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I posted a different thread a while back related to this. I asked a woman who works at the gym I work out at to have a bite to eat with me over at the Jack-in-the-Box across the street from the gym. I asked her because she likes to eat there. We will do this next Sunday (not tomorrow). I'm not sure if this is even considered a date. We both have talked a few times and know a bit about each other.

I would like to bring her some sort of present but having looked on Google, I've gotten mixed messages whether a man should bring a gift (flowers, a small box of candy) on a first date. Some have said it may make her feel pressured, it makes the man look desperate, trying to get her to like him.

What is the proper thing to do? Bring her a present or don't bring her anything. Again, I'm not even sure this would be considered a date.

Further information: I'm about to turn 70 and she's about to turn 53. Neither of us looks or feels our age.

Yeah, I know, I am naive about this. That's why I'm asking. It's very important to me so help is appreciated. Thanks.
That's so sweet! Only one guy brought me a gift on the first date, it was a small book on art because he knew I liked art museums, I'll never forget that nice gesture from years ago and still have the book. If you're not sure this is a date, maybe you should save the gift if there is a "real" first date? Good luck!

Old 10-07-2023, 07:05 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I vote no gift. You’re not sure it’s really a date, and it’s Jack in the Box. If things go well, get something for date #2. A gift before a first dates seems almost like a bribe to me.

FWIW, I’m almost your age.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:09 PM

419 posts, read 265,189 times
I would prefer no gift on a first date. Time spent together is plenty.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:16 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post

This is one of those "it depends" situations. Flowers are always nice, I think, although if you go that route, a small, pretty mixed bouquet is preferable to roses. It's a nice gesture and one that I enjoyed back when I was still on the dating scene. I never read it as a mark of man's desperation and just saw at as him being both sweet and thoughtful.

I do remember one date that I had years ago when the man who I was out with presented me with copies of the music that we'd been listening to in the car when on our date. He's long since out of my life, but I still listen to those two homemade mix CDs from time to time. They were a nice keepsake for him to have given to me and still gives me nice memories of one of my favorite dates that I'd ever had before or since.

One thing that might be nice, personal, but not too committal is that if the topic of sweets has come up over the course of your conversations, you could bring something that she might have mentioned as being a favorite of hers to share for dessert after your meal at Jack-in-the-Box. It would show that you had listened to her and would make her feel special that you cared enough to either make or buy it to share with her.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:17 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I vote no gift. You’re not sure it’s really a date, and it’s Jack in the Box. If things go well, get something for date #2. A gift before a first dates seems almost like a bribe to me.

FWIW, I’m almost your age.
I disagree, it doesn't feel like a bribe unless the gift is expensive, and he's not talking about giving her a diamond bracelet, he just wants to give her a small, thoughtful gift. Not many men make such a sweet gesture.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:36 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
So, “not a date” and at a fast food joint…. I vote no gift for that scenario.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:48 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
My husband brought flowers and candy on our first date. Not a box of candy, but two chocolate truffles from my favorite chocolatier.

As you don't know if it is an actual date.... either nothing or you could bring something from a chocolate store and offer it up as dessert. Or, even chocolate kisses. Not my kind of chocolate but gestures are noted.

There were more years between my husband and I, than you and this woman you are interested in. Don't get serious unless you know she is self supporting. I know you didn't ask about that sort of thing., but be careful.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
This is one of those "it depends" situations. Flowers are always nice, I think, although if you go that route, a small, pretty mixed bouquet is preferable to roses. It's a nice gesture and one that I enjoyed back when I was still on the dating scene. I never read it as a mark of man's desperation and just saw at as him being both sweet and thoughtful.

I do remember one date that I had years ago when the man who I was out with presented me with copies of the music that we'd been listening to in the car when on our date. He's long since out of my life, but I still listen to those two homemade mix CDs from time to time. They were a nice keepsake for him to have given to me and still gives me nice memories of one of my favorite dates that I'd ever had before or since.

One thing that might be nice, personal, but not too committal is that if the topic of sweets has come up over the course of your conversations, you could bring something that she might have mentioned as being a favorite of hers to share for dessert after your meal at Jack-in-the-Box. It would show that you had listened to her and would make her feel special that you cared enough to either make or buy it to share with her.
She does like to bake. What do you, and anyone else who cares to answer, think about me baking some chocolate chip cookies (the only thing I know how to bake) and bringing a dozen to her in an appropriate container, and telling her that they are homemade for her?

Old 10-07-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
My husband brought flowers and candy on our first date. Not a box of candy, but two chocolate truffles from my favorite chocolatier.

As you don't know if it is an actual date.... either nothing or you could bring something from a chocolate store and offer it up as dessert. Or, even chocolate kisses. Not my kind of chocolate but gestures are noted.

There were more years between my husband and I, than you and this woman you are interested in. Don't get serious unless you know she is self supporting. I know you didn't ask about that sort of thing., but be careful.
She's also a nurse in a supervisory position. The job at the gym is just parttime and is her 'playground.' So she is self-supporting.

Good idea about the chocolate. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships