Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:54 PM

303 posts, read 1,391,297 times

Advertisements

So everybody knows first dates can be... well... ackward and nerve racking. I'm back in the dating world after a few absent years and am so nervous about a first date tommorow night! Any advice on easing my nerves??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,736,277 times
Have a glass or two of wine!
Just relax....be yourself.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 PM

820 posts, read 2,874,578 times
I think you should just enjoy and remember that one date doesn't define you or your future. It's practice of sorts. I learned that to place expectations on a blind date is asking for almost certain disaster - one way or another. Just look at it as meeting a new friend, see what happens, and enjoy getting out. If something blossoms.... count your blessings. If not, you've taken a step into a personal growth of sorts. Good luck and enjoy yourself!!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:27 PM

130 posts, read 448,022 times
Remember that dating is supposed to be fun. Hopefully you've said yes to someone that you actually want to go on a date with! For me, when the dates didn't work out, I looked at them as practice for the next time. This alleviated a lot of stress and worry.

Just remember that you are a fun and interesting person (assuming that's true, of course) and have fun! And wear something you feel good in. If you're REALLY nervous, call one of your friends and have her give you a pep talk before hand.

I always loved first dates--it was the second dates that made ME nervous!

Good luck! And be YOU!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the responses! Yankeegirl- I will definintly be having a drink! And I agree with SomeThings.. I need to wear an outfit I feel good in. Aren't these usually the times when us women come to the conclusion we have nothing in our closet to wear?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:32 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,736,277 times
Exactly! Have fun.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 6,847,338 times
It's been about a million years since I had to endure the "first date" jitters but here goes...

First off, you are beautiful! So you don't need to have anything to be concerned about there.

Secondly... BREATHE! A few deep breaths will help to calm you down. Most people tend to take shallow breaths when they are nervous and it only makes things worse. (Well I do anyway. )

If you are going out to eat choose something simple and uncomplicated. Preferably something you can eat with just a fork. Trying to juggle a knife and fork, or manage shellfish can be a recipe for disaster if you are really nervous... Unless he has a great sense of humor... then you can both laugh at the mess.

And everyone else is right, wear something that you are comfortable in and just have fun!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:50 PM

391 posts, read 874,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
So everybody knows first dates can be... well... ackward and nerve racking. I'm back in the dating world after a few absent years and am so nervous about a first date tommorow night! Any advice on easing my nerves??
Wow it has been a long long time for me but age has taught me some self confidence. This is first to be thought of getting to know a possible new friend, it goes no further than you want it to. Also remember you do not NEED a man if you find the right one you can make a choice to be together. He is going to be just as nervous as you. People love to talk about themselves so get him talking about himelf you can learn alot and find out if he is 2nd date worthy. Be yourself do not compromise your beliefs. Look for common ground. Avoid conflict conversations like politics, religion etc for another time. I agree with the OP eat food that is least messy. Have a drink but not so much you do not have the control of the situation. Most of all have fun. Good luck and please update us as how things went.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I do feel less nervous since reading your posts. I will remember no getting drunk, no messy food (both of those are way too embarassing!), no touchy conversation pieces... of yeah, be myself.

Thanks again, your remarks have been very sweet and helpful.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:23 PM

6,587 posts, read 17,591,886 times
Don't be too invested in the outcome. A first date is to break the ice and get to know each other a little better. You may find out something about him that makes you stop in your tracks, so please don't over think how he may see you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships