Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 AM

918 posts, read 1,642,865 times

Advertisements

Kind of a strange question for you all, but one that I have been thinking about.

Does anyone else find it difficult to date people their own age because they look younger/older than they are? Personally, I am 28, and look like I am 19-20 (get carded for everything). In turn, I have always dated people younger than I am (closest to my age was 2 years younger).

This has also affected my outlook a bit, as most of the time when I meet women my own age I think they're too old for me (don't take that wrong). This is probably part of the reason I am not married- younger women tend to be more immature (again, don't take that wrong).

Just curious more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,193 times
No, I don't find it hard. I think it should be more like personality. I've met some older women who act like their teenagers, and not in a good way. I mean they act immature and foolish. That is a turn-off. I can't date a woman who is immature.

But I can date a young looking woman. I guess the reasons why you have problems is because you seem to be too hung up on looking like a "perfect match". Am I right or wrong?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:23 AM

I would say no, I am not hung up on that. Or maybe I am... heck I dont know?? Food for thought anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
No, I don't find it hard. I think it should be more like personality. I've met some older women who act like their teenagers, and not in a good way. I mean they act immature and foolish. That is a turn-off. I can't date a woman who is immature.

But I can date a young looking woman. I guess the reasons why you have problems is because you seem to be too hung up on looking like a "perfect match". Am I right or wrong?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
My boyfriend looks young for his age (27). But what helped me get over that was getting to know him through the internet first. Our inner connection was strong before we actually met in person as friends.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 AM

It's good that you were able to do that.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,851 times
Looks arent everything....depending on what I am wearing ppl either think I am older or younger than what I am. But after taking the time to converse with me most ppl lean toward older. IMO, it about your personality and how you carry yourself. OP you looking 19-20 may not be the problem older woman have with you. Maybe those women are to old (mind and body) or your approach to them along with you appearance seems to be that of a 19-20 yr old...just my opinion

Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Actually, I don't approach them... as I stated, I think my mindset is a bit off... they look too old for me so I avoid it...

Hope that isn't taken wrong, I am not saying women that age look old. Just that I feel I look too young for them. It isn't really a big deal, I was just curious as to what people think about themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Looks arent everything....depending on what I am wearing ppl either think I am older or younger than what I am. But after taking the time to converse with me most ppl lean toward older. IMO, it about your personality and how you carry yourself. OP you looking 19-20 may not be the problem older woman have with you. Maybe those women are to old (mind and body) or your approach to them along with you appearance seems to be that of a 19-20 yr old...just my opinion

Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM

It's also important to note, no, I don't think appearances are everything. I am not shallow in that regard. But I feel many others are, which is why I think about these things. (confusing, no?)

Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Nope, I can't say that looking young has ever effected me in that way. When I was 24, I was first mistaken for being under 18 and then again mistaken for being under 16! But there was no way I was dating teenagers. In fact, I was always attracted to men who were at least a year or so older than me. My husband is 6 years and 9 months older than I am. I'm now 26 and I doubt I look any older. My husband on the other hand, looks about his age. We must look like an odd couple, with him looking about 33 and me looking about 18 at best! But we don't care.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfish34ren View Post
Kind of a strange question for you all, but one that I have been thinking about.

Does anyone else find it difficult to date people their own age because they look younger/older than they are? Personally, I am 28, and look like I am 19-20 (get carded for everything). In turn, I have always dated people younger than I am (closest to my age was 2 years younger).

This has also affected my outlook a bit, as most of the time when I meet women my own age I think they're too old for me (don't take that wrong). This is probably part of the reason I am not married- younger women tend to be more immature (again, don't take that wrong).

Just curious more than anything.
I'd guess one third of the population look younger then their age, one third look their age and one third look older then their age. There are tons of people your age who look younger then they are. No need to go dating "little girls".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships